Been Fishing the Big Res - Just Got Back

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
But that was when I was only 8 years old.
Wow - so 2 years ago, huh?

You hopeful?
No, I'm an insightful observer. I've read some of your posts.
..so 10 seems right.

.. LoLz @ the Growler.

Ah, nah. Give him some credit, Holliday. I think he's at least 13.

That might be worse than 2 yr olds. 13 year old is supposed to be more mature than a 2 yr old, but often they can be large toddlers themselves.
Is this an appropriate time to say nigger?

OP
OP
Holliday1881

Holliday1881

Banned
Banned
Spend some time putting away lures and terminal tackle for the year.
.Fishing year is over for me now.

Just came across this which I wrote after a trip to a Westchester reservoir 3 years ago.
...and it's awwwwl true.

Today - October 1, a warm Autumn day. Often the first week of October brings some 80 degree days,
today was one of those.
I had determined to take a long trip, starting early, to the reservoir where I had spent 20 or so years hoisting big Largemouth into my Jon Boat. It has been some years since I was last there, and finding it was at capacity and the shore unwalkable, I took a ride to a more distant reservoir which was the first of the area waters I fished when I took up Bass fishing with a serious mind. The waters there are rimmed with weeds out to about 12 feet at high water and they are emergent by summer and until Fall rains top the reservoirs up leaving them a foot or two below the surface. October is Spinnerbait season when that takes place, but here those weeds lay tangled in only 5 or 6 feet, and they also carpeted the shore above the shoe topping muck. Perfect for running a Johnson Silver Minnow and trailer easy over the mats. Here was the place where I first learned the technique, casting taking up the retrieve quickly, rod tip high and slowing to an easy steady crawl giving them big'uns a chance to time my offering. It was a successful method and since only a large bass can blast through the weeds to secure its prey, when you do get a strike it is a bass of above average size and worth the effort and occasional frustrations.
The area is lovely - old money, old homes, farms, unspoiled woodlands, among the first settled lands on the east coast. Still, far enough from the urban center of NYC that the gas station attendants are white men. And at this time of year as the colors begin to show, the beauty is to wonder that there could be unhappiness in the world.
..Of course there is, but one can leave it behind for an afternoon of walking in the wood, or fishing.
Long way home - didn't want to be caught in the rush hour traffic so I resolved to leave early and since action was, well - there was no action, I decided to walk back and look for an open area of passage back to my conveyance beyond the woods.
Last casts
There isn't an actual last cast until you've actually departed your fishing waters, but rather there is a series of last casts as one might have an analogous series of final IDs as a message board poster. 1st last cast, second last cast, first last cast over that way then the last in that direction etc till you're ready to leave..
So...
I noticed a thin area bordering a small stream entering the lake and thought it a good path back to parking. Leaving my tackle box and two rigs, keeping only my Silver Minnow rigged 5'6" med heavy Fenwick of the 80's, 14 lb XT Green spooled Bantam Mag SG 21, I proceeded to last cast my way beyond that point through the shaded mid-day side of a large cove - working my way carefully over them mats of weed. I was thinking on my arrival home - should I have some to eat and take a shower? Pour myself a nice cooling glass of bourbon first then take up the Steinbeck? As I half lost awareness of my lures progress and not 15 to 20 feet from rod tip, in no more that 1 1/2 feet of depth the water spray'd. I felt good weight as the rod bowed. I felt the hook well set. I saw the old girl's tail flip through the weeds and kept even pressure on her. A good fight, a health fish - 4 lb 6 oz.
Last casts are good. Good enough that I took another 15 minutes worth and disturbed nothing.