• Hyundai Genesis 3.8 coupe, R spec, $22-25K

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Naah, stick with the truck

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

Levon

Philosopher King
Site Supporter
So, my Toyota Tacoma's as good a truck as any I know of, but it's fifteen years old. I don't really use it like a truck, don't need to haul stuff around. I do a lot of zipping around all over the L.A. area visiting other people's jobsites, I live up on the 101 a bit but during the week I often stay at my boss's place in the Hollywood Hills since he has a guesthouse that's part of my comp package, with the housekeeper and the pool and so on. Pool's not Olympic sized but I'm not an Olympian, so...

I miss small zippy cars. I'm too old for an Old School sports car like a Miata or a Z3/Z4, too much hassle getting in and out and there's also the Cop Magnet part of it. And I hate FWD and AWD, I'm just more comfortable with RWD.

So, I'm ready to lose the Tacoma and get into a small, righteous coupe I can drive on the PCH every chance I get, maybe do a little hobby racing, etc. My budget is a generous $20K, maybe $25 for a great specimen, and sell my truck for $8K-9K. These Bimmers were cheaper a year or two ago but they're starting to get "collectible" and the prices are up, especially for the turbo cars. What was $16-18K a year ago in a 135i is now offered for ten or twelve thou more. And any of them that Carvana gets their hands on, you can add a few thou more just to pay for the TV commercials.

I welcome input from @Lokmar and any other gear heads. I've kinda narrowed it down to one car with engine options.

The BMW 1-Series was a critically acclaimed return to the lightweight, moderately powered sports cars inspired by the Neue Klasse sedans and sports coupes of the 1960s and '70s. It was immediately recognized as an excellent driver car with precise handling characteristics and a punchy engine. All 3 of the BMW choices use an I-6 of 3.0 liters, but there are 4 engine versions that vary by year and state of tune, and the turbo question. All these cars were built in Leipzig or Regensburg. EVERY ONE of them is a tuner's dream.

If I really wanted a turbo motor I'd maybe look at Benzes or Audis because I don't think turbos are a strong suit with BMW. High maintenance, the wastegates are noisy, and I don't need the extra power or the hassle. The N52 motor in the later 130i makes over 250 HP, with an 0-62 time in the mid fives, quarter mile in the low 14s, that's all the punch I need and the package is nondescript.

I've added the Genesis as a choice but it's a bit larger and lacks integrity and refinement. Kind of a Boy Racer sled, I think, and since alla them will have had at least a couple of previous owners in their twenties, I doubt I'd find one that didn't have PTSD.

25061188-2013-bmw-1-series-thumb.jpg

2012_hyundai_genesis_coupe-pic-7443038221356815617-1024x768.jpeg

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
First, I think the most important thing when car shopping is to look for signs of collision damage. Carfax doesnt always catch that. Stand back and look at the individual panels. Do they match? BTW, front and rear bumper covers are usually off a bit because they dont always get painted at the same time as the main body. When looking at the paint, is there dirt specs in it? Thaty indicates repainting. Look in all the jambs for tape lines from repainting. Many cars have labels in the jambs, sometimes with the VIN printed on them. Are the labels there? If not, it could mean the panel has been replaced. Do the gaps line up? Do you see any tags/stickers that say "R-DOT" on them? R-DOT tags usually indicates replacement too. Look at the wheels and tires for uneven wear from side to side.

Having said that, I dont have any first hand experience with BMW to know if they have a date/age when they become a problem but a BMW forum is usually the best place to look for info.

TheHaze

If my dog doesn't like you, I probably won'teither
Site Supporter
A clean title is #1 in my book or why waste your time - - - - - -

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Now is probably the single worst time since WW2 to try to buy a new or used car. Used care prices are up 60% since before covid as the chip shortage and supply chain disruption has decreased global auto output by between 50% and 66%. New car prices are through the roof. Eventually, production will be restored and prices will collapse. This will result in people who borrowed way to much being upside down in their cars.

That is before we even consider that car lots are empty and thus choices are extremely constrained.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
The 1 series is interesting even if it is much larger than the original BMW 2002 of the late 1960's to late 1970's.

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
You live in West LA?

We just got a Hyundai I30. It's a great car. I know you're looking at a different Hyundai, but I'm just saying it's a good car.

BMW? Phhhttt.

Admin.

All that glitters, is not gold.
Site Supporter ☠️
So, my Toyota Tacoma's as good a truck as any I know of, but it's fifteen years old. I don't really use it like a truck, don't need to haul stuff around. I do a lot of zipping around all over the L.A. area visiting other people's jobsites, I live up on the 101 a bit but during the week I often stay at my boss's place in the Hollywood Hills since he has a guesthouse that's part of my comp package, with the housekeeper and the pool and so on. Pool's not Olympic sized but I'm not an Olympian, so...

I miss small zippy cars. I'm too old for an Old School sports car like a Miata or a Z3/Z4, too much hassle getting in and out and there's also the Cop Magnet part of it. And I hate FWD and AWD, I'm just more comfortable with RWD.

So, I'm ready to lose the Tacoma and get into a small, righteous coupe I can drive on the PCH every chance I get, maybe do a little hobby racing, etc. My budget is a generous $20K, maybe $25 for a great specimen, and sell my truck for $8K-9K. These Bimmers were cheaper a year or two ago but they're starting to get "collectible" and the prices are up, especially for the turbo cars. What was $16-18K a year ago in a 135i is now offered for ten or twelve thou more. And any of them that Carvana gets their hands on, you can add a few thou more just to pay for the TV commercials.

I welcome input from @Lokmar and any other gear heads. I've kinda narrowed it down to one car with engine options.

The BMW 1-Series was a critically acclaimed return to the lightweight, moderately powered sports cars inspired by the Neue Klasse sedans and sports coupes of the 1960s and '70s. It was immediately recognized as an excellent driver car with precise handling characteristics and a punchy engine. All 3 of the BMW choices use an I-6 of 3.0 liters, but there are 4 engine versions that vary by year and state of tune, and the turbo question. All these cars were built in Leipzig or Regensburg. EVERY ONE of them is a tuner's dream.

If I really wanted a turbo motor I'd maybe look at Benzes or Audis because I don't think turbos are a strong suit with BMW. High maintenance, the wastegates are noisy, and I don't need the extra power or the hassle. The N52 motor in the later 130i makes over 250 HP, with an 0-62 time in the mid fives, quarter mile in the low 14s, that's all the punch I need and the package is nondescript.

I've added the Genesis as a choice but it's a bit larger and lacks integrity and refinement. Kind of a Boy Racer sled, I think, and since alla them will have had at least a couple of previous owners in their twenties, I doubt I'd find one that didn't have PTSD.

bf1f11ea9bc9433ba4057d151171390d.jpg

'06 Boxster 54K miles in Utah, axing $24.5 There is no substitute.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
If you are going to unnecessarily buying a car at the worst possible time then at least pay cash and do it private party.

Last edited:

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

As someone who has known many Porche owners they are money pits. Absolute money pits.

Admin.

Site Supporter ☠️

As someone who has known many Porche owners they are money pits. Absolute money pits.
Very few cars, are not.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
A clean title is #1 in my book or why waste your time - - - - - -

Of course. No person who wants a good car wants anything but a clean title. The problem comes from multi-state title washing so only buy a car originally sold in your own state.

Last edited:

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Very few cars, are not.

Hondas, Toyota, and some Subaru are not. Hell, even some US designs based upon long term proven platforms are as well. Honestly a Ford Crown Victoria is good for 600,000 to 700,000 miles if you take care of it. Most Buicks with the 3800 engine and 4 speed auto will also go 500,000 miles.

Last edited:

Admin.

Site Supporter ☠️

Very few cars, are not.

Hondas, Toyota, and some Subaru are not. Hell, even some US designs based upon long term proven platforms are as well.
Hondas, Toyota's Nissans are consumable items that have been successfully marketed as must have "luxury" items.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Very few cars, are not.

Hondas, Toyota, and some Subaru are not. Hell, even some US designs based upon long term proven platforms are as well.
Hondas, Toyota's Nissans are consumable items that have been successfully marketed as must have "luxury" items.

Most Nissans are not worth buying especially with a Jacco automatic transmission. The exception is old designs before the merger with Renault. Like the last generation Frontier with a manual transmission.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Acotty Kilmer is a guy who worked as a mechanic for like 40 years and I tend to think he knows what he is talking about. Believe it or not he says the BMW 1 series is the only BMW worth buying.

OP
OP
Levon

Levon

Philosopher King
Site Supporter
The 1 series is interesting even if it is much larger than the original BMW 2002 of the late 1960's to late 1970's.
Yes, it's closer to the size the 3 series cars reached in the eighties. Thus it's regarded by insurance companies as a subcompact, whereas the 3 series cars have bloated up considerably and are now "compact."

OP
OP
Levon

Levon

Philosopher King
Site Supporter
Acotty Kilmer is a guy who worked as a mechanic for like 40 years and I tend to think he knows what he is talking about. Believe it or not he says the BMW 1 series is the only BMW worth buying.

I mostly agree with that. The most recent BMW I owned was an 87, and by 1990 I just couldn't see any more of their cars in my future unless they went back in time. However, the video is mis-titled and not about the 1 series at all.

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter
@Levon ...just buy a BMW already ffs! One can’t beat German quality and precision. Christ almighty...this thread should be in meltdown! First world problems in a global crises!!!!
:facepalm:

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter
We just got a Hyundai I30.

o que? Não comprastes uma Mercedez? Acho que os gajos aí de Portugal não estão a lhe influenciar o bastante.

De que gajos falas?
Esse gajos aí de Portugal

Adoram umas Mercedez

I'm not driving around Portugal in no stinking Mercedes. Desculpe.
Desculpe my fucking arse! Jajajajajajajajajajajajajajaaaaaa