Clarence Thomas has taken AT LEAST $4 million in gifts

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I mean, pay to play.

“Supreme Court justices should not be accepting gifts, let alone the hundreds of freebies worth millions of dollars they’ve received over the years,” Fix the Court’s Gabe Roth said in a statement. “Public servants who make four times the median local salary, and who can make millions writing books on any topic they like, can afford to pay for their own vacations, vehicles, hunting excursions and club memberships.”

Roth continued, arguing that there is influence in who gives the justices gifts and what they are buying with their “generosity.”

“The ethics crisis at the court won’t begin to abate until justices adopt stricter gift acceptance rules,” he said.

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Cue the apologists.

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Okay. I searched for a recent thread about Thomas before I posted this one, and didn't see one. Anyway, MINE is about the 4$ million he has received, not just one 500k gift. A broader topic, if you will.

WHATEVER.

Admin.

Who am I? I am over Two Billion in Saudi Cash!
Site Supporter ☠️
Okay. I searched for a recent thread about Thomas before I posted this one, and didn't see one. Anyway, MINE is about the 4$ million he has received, not just one 500k gift. A broader topic, if you will.

WHATEVER.
No worries, I think Lily just thought it worthy of a bump. People to need understand the right cares for nothing more than getting and increasing power, and controlling people it deems inferior.

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
No worries, I think Lily just thought it worthy of a bump. People to need understand the right cares for nothing more than getting and increasing power, and controlling people it deems inferior.
And enriching themselves while doing it.

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I think Larry bumped it immediately after I posted mine. I was talking to him, anyway.

Admin.

Site Supporter ☠️
Once Thomas used the phrase "high tech lynching", the liberals on the committee pretty much folded like bad patio furniture.
A theory at the time, was that the bitter Robert Bork nomination battle which ended with Bork being declined to the Bench. played an uncredited role in Thomas being approved. Robert Bork was a bright and well credentialed lawyer, but extremely conservative to the point of insanity and he got blackballed.

Larry Loungelizard

I appreciate irony as long as I'm not it's victim.
A theory at the time, was that the Robert Bork nomination battle which ended with Bork being declined to the Bench. played an uncredited role in Thomas being approved. Robert Bork was a bright and well credentialed lawyer, but extremely conservative to the point of insanity and he got blackballed.
Well, Bork wound up getting a huge amount of opposition to his nomination from plenty of groups and his rulings done him in. Thomas didn't come across as right wing as Bork.

Admin.

Site Supporter ☠️

I remember that so vividly, I had recently started college, widespread cable was just spreading over the land...and C-Span was there. But today is far different than then politically imo, it wasn't as all encompassing as it has become.... The whole, you're either with me or against me mentality wasn't as delineated then. I do recall a fairly widespread sense of disbelief and dissatisfaction too, after the confirmation for Thomas went through as well.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I remember that so vividly, I had recently started college, widespread cable was just spreading over the land...and C-Span was there. But today is far different than then politically imo, it wasn't as all encompassing as it has become.... The whole, you're either with me or against me mentality wasn't as delineated then. I do recall a fairly widespread sense of disbelief and dissatisfaction too, after the confirmation for Thomas went through as well.

I remember how Thomas pulled the "black card". It's always okay for him to have a double standard.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I mean, pay to play.

“Supreme Court justices should not be accepting gifts, let alone the hundreds of freebies worth millions of dollars they’ve received over the years,” Fix the Court’s Gabe Roth said in a statement. “Public servants who make four times the median local salary, and who can make millions writing books on any topic they like, can afford to pay for their own vacations, vehicles, hunting excursions and club memberships.”

Roth continued, arguing that there is influence in who gives the justices gifts and what they are buying with their “generosity.”

“The ethics crisis at the court won’t begin to abate until justices adopt stricter gift acceptance rules,” he said.

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Cue the apologists.

Quite obviously Thomas is a corrupt and evil man who ought to be removed from the USSC. Same time he isn't the only one.

There are far too many Old Men & now women in positions of power from both US political parties who shouldn't be there anymore. Seems the US constitution enables them and has produced this geriatricocracy.

No one should be given a permanent position on the USSC. Should be 15 years maximum or age 75. That's how it is in other nations.

Last edited: