Documentaries Thread

OP
OP
Alticus

Alticus

Mr. Excitement
Site Supporter ☠️
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Getting this project underway was a challenge all by itself. Once Doane Robinson and others had found a sculptor, Gutzon Borglum, they had to get permission to do the carving. Senator Peter Norbeck and Congressman William Williamson were instrumental in getting the legislation passed to allow the carving. Williamson drafted two bills, one each to be introduced in the United States Congress and the South Dakota Legislature. The bill requesting permission to use federal land for the memorial easily passed through Congress. The bill sent to the South Dakota Legislature faced more opposition. The Mount Harney National Memorial bill was defeated twice before narrowly passing.

Governor Gunderson signed the bill on March 5, 1925, and established the Mount Harney Memorial Association later that summer.Early in the project, money was hard to find, despite Borglum's promise that eastern businessmen would gladly make large donations. He also promised the citizens of South Dakota that they would not be responsible for paying for any of the mountain carving. In the summer of 1927, President Calvin Coolidge was in the Black Hills and Borglum was planning a formal dedication of the mountain. Borglum hired a plane to fly over the State Game Lodge in Custer State Park where Coolidge was staying. As he flew over, Borglum dropped a wreath to invite the President to the dedication ceremony. President Coolidge agreed to attend the ceremony, which was held on August 10, 1927, and gave a speech promising federal funding for the project.

Borglum arranged a meeting with the United States Secretary of the Treasury Andrew Mellon to secure his support for the project and the passage of a funding bill, the Mount Rushmore National Memorial Act. Borglum was able to convince Secretary Mellon of the importance of the project and gain his support for funding the entire cost. Gutzon Borglum instead asked only for half of what he needed, believing he would be able to match federal funding dollar for dollar with private donations. Senator Norbeck was stunned that Borglum had turned down the offer of full federal funding.With the commission organized and money in the bank, Borglum could now begin to work in earnest on the mountain. He hired workers who began to install machinery and construct facilities. During the 1930's Senator Norbeck worked tirelessly to secure continued funding through emergency relief programs that were part of President Franklin Roosevelt's New Deal, which were also matched with funds from the original appropriation bill.

In 1933, President Roosevelt signed Executive Order 6166, which drastically changed the management of the project. Mount Rushmore was now placed under the jurisdiction of the National Park Service and was supervised by engineer Julian Spotts, who began to look for ways to improve efficiency and working conditions. Gutzon Borglum, always uneasy with outside control over his projects, became resentful of being under "the watchful eye of the government.

Borglum successfully returned control of the project to an appointed commission, mostly of his choosing, in 1938. The new commission allowed Borglum nearly complete control over most aspects of the project. During this time of increased freedom, Borglum began construction of a large repository, called the Hall of Records, in a valley behind the sculpture. This repository was intended to tell the story of Mount Rushmore and of the United States . After the United States Congress threatened to cut off all funding for the project unless used specifically to finish the sculpture itself, Borglum reluctantly stopped work on the hall in 1939. Due to later events, the Hall of Records was never finished.

Gutzon Borglum spent much of the last two years of the project traveling and working to secure additional funding. While he was away his son, Lincoln Borglum, supervised the work on Mount Rushmore. In March, 1941, as a final dedication was being planned, Gutzon Borglum died. This fact, along with the impending American involvement in World War II, led to the end of the work on the mountain. On October 31, 1941, Mount Rushmore National Memorial was declared a completed project.

Gaining permission to carve a mountain, acquiring funding and managing varied personalities were all a part of the challenge in creating Mount Rushmore National Memorial. For those involved, keeping the project moving forward often seemed more difficult than the actual work of carving the granite into a colossal sculpture of the four presidents. In the end, cooler heads, charm and determination allowed the memorial to become a reality. Mount Rushmore National Memorial has since become a great icon of American history.

*Please click the green link for further info

qPFerHH.jpg

RGPCJFb.jpg

3Lurpiv.jpg

GleiZzI.jpg

wxvizbv.jpg

OP
OP
Alticus

Alticus

Mr. Excitement
Site Supporter ☠️
On the internet?
:Triggered:
That gif always cracks me up. lol

I am white but I have seen and experienced racism on and offline. It's a terrible thing. I was playing ball one time and black guy called me cracker. When most folks hear the word racism the first thing that usually comes to mind is the 'N' word, but in all fairness there are many black racists too. Also, if you are a Jew you are a kike, Italian you are a wop, if you are Russian you are a ruskie. You can't win. lol

OP
OP
Alticus

Alticus

Mr. Excitement
Site Supporter ☠️
who in thee blue hell are you calling BF? i have never buttfucked any human. fuck you!! nor any animal for that matter. you sick twisted... something but whatever it is its far worse than any of your wild imaginings. fucking paraquat.
LOL

Dude I know it says that you just joined here but you sound an awful lot like a member we had around January. Can't be certain though. Doesn't matter. Thank you for the warm words.

Admin.

This ain't Texas (woo), ain't. no hold'm woo woo
Site Supporter ☠️
who in thee blue hell are you calling BF? i have never buttfucked any human. fuck you!! nor any animal for that matter. you sick twisted... something but whatever it is its far worse than any of your wild imaginings. fucking paraquat.
Pop Quiz: What's the name of the forum you are currently debasing yourself on?

OP
OP
Alticus

Alticus

Mr. Excitement
Site Supporter ☠️
Welcome to the forum by the way. :)

RabidOwl

Factory Bastard
what am i Joe Pesci to you motherfucker?.. yous people really get me riled up inside and out. You will feel me fucking wrath soon and I will kick yo ass more times than I kick me own arse every day. Fear me now. Oh to scare you even more I am more intelligent and powerful than @Breakfall and Bruce Lee ran away from me once in a dream.

OP
OP
Alticus

Alticus

Mr. Excitement
Site Supporter ☠️
what am i Joe Pesci to you motherfucker?.. yous people really get me riled up inside and out. You will feel me fucking wrath soon and I will kick yo ass more times than I kick me own arse every day. Fear me now. Oh to scare you even more I am more intelligent and powerful than @Breakfall and Bruce Lee ran away from me once in a dream.

Well, you're a funny guy.

RabidOwl

Factory Bastard
Pop Quiz: What's the name of the forum you are currently debasing yourself on?
i will NOT answer this in an open forum just in case you are the police. Not that I have a record or anything but one can never be too careful. Quit badgering.. you are like Captain Ahab right now and I ain't no Moby Dick but you make me feel like the whale the way you come out nowhere with your harpoons and shit. Back the fuck up

OP
OP
Alticus

Alticus

Mr. Excitement
Site Supporter ☠️
i will NOT answer this in an open forum just in case you are the police. Not that I have a record or anything but one can never be too careful. Quit badgering.. you are like Captain Ahab right now and I ain't no Moby Dick but you make me feel like the whale the way you come out nowhere with your harpoons and shit. Back the fuck up
Be careful. I believe Admin works for Interpol.

RabidOwl

Factory Bastard
So you're an Irish obese alcoholic drug dealer then?
Hush. Over the line.. people are reading this dude. Very uncool. Now if were in a dark alley shit would be different. Things can be done and said. Not on the forums. Wow... very Narc-ish like Jason Patric in Narc and I am Ray Liotta here

Who are you? first you come at me like Liotta and now you making Liotta. What sort of fuckery sorcery witchery is this?

OP
OP
Alticus

Alticus

Mr. Excitement
Site Supporter ☠️
The Most Painful Death Ever-Hiroshi Ouchil-The World's Most Radioactive Man

In a freak nuclear accident that took place in September 1999, a man was introduced to the highest level of radioactive material. Hisashi Ouchi was at the nuclear power plant in Tokaimura, Japan on September 30, 1999, when the accident happened. Back then, there was a lack of safety measures and an abundance of pressure to meet a deadline. The Japan Nuclear Fuel Conversion Co. (JCO) told Hisashi and two other workers to work on mixing a new batch of fuel. An attempted shortcut resulted in a disaster at a uranium processing plant, leaving forty-nine people exposed to radiation. Of these, two had been subjected to a lethal dose, one of them was Hisashi.

Hisashi Ouchi and his co-workers were supposed to purify reactor fuel. As protocol directed, they were supposed to use an automatic pump to mix up to 2.4 kilograms of enriched uranium with nitric acid. They opted for a shortcut instead. Using a stainless-steel bucket, Hisashi and his co-workers mixed 16 kilograms of the fissile material, reported the National Library of Medicine. The uranium reached a critical mass in the early hours of September 30, 1999. It proceeded to set off an uncontrolled chain reaction that workers were only able to halt after 18 hours. By then, the damage was done.

The 16 kilograms of uranium that was overloaded was seven times the approved amount for the procedure. It was not just the workers in the nuclear plant that suffered the consequences of this misjudgment. More than 60 people, including three rescue workers and seven golfers on a neighbouring course, were exposed to high radiation levels. But the most critically ill was Hisashi Ouchi, who was 35 at the time. For reference, normal background radiation produces a dose of about 2 to 4 millisieverts annually. Anything more than 5 sieverts is fatal. Hisashi was exposed to about 17 sieverts of radiation, Science journal quoted the Science and Technology Agency’s National Institute of Radiological Sciences.

Hisashi Ouchi and his co-workers collapsed with nausea. They were rescued by other co-workers and taken to a local hospital by emergency services. It was found that the radiation destroyed Hisashi’s lymphatic cells, leaving him with a near-zero white blood cell count, radiation burns across his whole body, and severe damage to his internal organs. Hisashi was scheduled to receive blood stem cells, donated by his brother. This was the first-ever procedure to be attempted for radiation victims. For eight-three days, Hisashi was kept alive despite being nearly lifeless. He later passed away from multiple organ failure.

iRIx6Ul.jpg

nzNNcFs.jpg

realgrimm

ፕልክፏቹክፕ ነየርጎልረጎነፕ
Global Moderator
This whole show is great and was pivotal in the legalization

This documentary series airing on Viceland is about the science, culture and economics of the legalization of cannabis. Also documents how medical marijuana has been a helpful and effective treatment for people, that struggle with severe illnesses, such as cancer, etc.

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

The Atomic Punk

Factory Bastard
Kee Bird is the story of a group of men that set out to recover a B29 that crash landed on a glacier.

They got it what they considered airworthy, but then disaster struck

The Atomic Punk

Factory Bastard
What do you mean by "my color" Color of what?

My red is so confident, he flashes trophies of war
And ribbons of euphoria
Orange is young, full of daring
But very unsteady for the first go round
My yellow, in this case, is not so mellow
In fact, I'm trying to say it's frightened like me
And all these emotions of mine keep holding me from
Giving my life to a rainbow like you, but I'm

Yeah, I'm bold as love, yeah-yeah