Everything Mysterious Thread

Alticus

Mr. Excitement
Site Supporter ☠️
Aliens, Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, Area 51 and everything else mysterious in our world.

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

In the 1940s and 50s reports of "flying saucers" became an American cultural phenomena. Sightings of strange objects in the sky became the raw materials for Hollywood to present visions of potential threats. Posters for films, like Earth vs. the Flying Saucers from 1956 illustrate these fears. Connected to ongoing ideas about life on the Moon, the canals on Mars, and ideas about Martian Civilizations, flying saucers have come to represent the hopes and fears of the modern world.

Are these alleged visitors from other worlds peaceful and benevolent or would they attack and destroy humanity? The destructive power of the Atomic bomb called into question the progressive potential of technology. Fear of the possibilities for destruction in the Cold War-era proved fertile ground for terrestrial anxieties to manifest visions of flying saucers and visitors from other worlds who might be hidden among us in plain sight.

O7CbH8D.jpg

7iXrP5L.jpg

plyFwcc.jpg

VtIIB6v.jpg

OP
OP
Alticus

Alticus

Mr. Excitement
Site Supporter ☠️

THE LARGEST MEDIEVAL MANUSCRIPT IN the world is believed to have been the work of a single monk in Bohemia (in modern Czechia). Nevertheless, it’s not its 620 pages at three-feet in size that makes it remarkable; it’s the Devil contained therein.

Literally meaning “giant book,” the Codex Gigas was created in the 13th century and originally stored in the Benedictine monastery at Podlažice. The manuscript contains not only the New and Old Testaments but also an assortment of other shorter texts addressing matters of extreme practicality for the time: exorcism, grammar, a calendar, and medical works, to name a few.

Everything within the book was handwritten by a single, anonymous monk. The National Library of Sweden puts this massive undertaking into perspective:

“If the scribe worked for six hours a day and wrote six days a week this means that the manuscript could have taken about five years to complete. If the scribe was a monk he may only have been able to work for about three hours a day, and this means that the manuscript could have taken ten years to write. As the scribe may also have ruled the lines to guide the writing before he began to write (it probably took several hours to rule one leaf), this extends the period it took to complete the manuscript. The scribe also decorated the manuscript, so this all means that the manuscript probably took at least 20 years to finish, and could even have taken 30.”

These elements alone are enough to qualify the stunning manuscript as a wonder of the world. Yet the most bewitching element of the Codex Gigas is a single page of illumination that defies explanation, tucked away within the tome. Spanning nearly the entire face of a page is a full-color rendering of the Dark Lord himself.

Speculation, plausible and otherwise, abounds as to how the unholiest feature possible made its way into this most sacred text, but answers remain elusive. Precisely because of this tension, everyone loves the Codex Gigas – or, the Devil’s Bible, if you prefer. The manuscript originally travelled to Stockholm in the late 16th century, plundered from the Holy Roman Emperor’s castle by the Swedish army during the Thirty Years War.

This massive tome currently resides behind glass in a room on the second floor of the King’s Library (also called the National Library of Sweden) in Humlegården (“Humle” meaning “hops,” suggesting royalty grew hops there for their own beer, “gården” meaning “courtyard”), a lovely park in the posh Stockholm neighborhood of Östermalm. The manuscript is not kept open and it is kept in a fairly dark room because of possible damage from light. There is a movie describing the history of the Codex in Swedish with English subtitles playing on a loop.

05wZYsE.jpg

WBdfSpn.jpg

aIbTh9j.jpg

u20Lyxv.jpg

Big Sexy

narcoleptic mattress salesman
Site Supporter
I’d like to know what’s up with this Loch Ness monster bullshit.

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
ABOUT 1970 when I was in primary school a UFO was caught on camera and representatives from NASA came to Perth WA to investigate. It ended up being a prank... two panel beaters (I don't know what the USA calls them, body shop workers?) just glued together some plastic cups and sauces and spray painted them and threw it up in the air...they took a picture. It made Australian national news.

Australia due to its isolation has been involved with the space program from the getgo along with all the space conspiracies.

As for JFK the last documentary did show Oswald was the assassin... and we saw first time footage of witnesses in that last doco. I believed them.

As far as conspiracies go I do love the exploration part and debunking or confirming theories whichever is the case. MYSTERIES are great fun.

The Devils Bible is interesting. I don't know anything about this book BUT it takes GREAT DEDICATION to make something like that so I am not dismissing it outright.

It was common to paint Satan in churches...

There was an artist..... I have to go look him up but he was responsible for doing many mural in churches...one very famous one was called the Garden of Earthly Delights... he was the first surrealist...

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
The mediaeval painter is -

The Garden of Earthly Delights is the modern title
given to a
on
painted by the
master
, between 1490 and 1510, when Bosch was between 40 and 60 years old.
It has been housed in the
in
, Spain since 1939

I think painting the devil wouldn't be considered blasphemy however back then trying to paint God would or might be deemed blasphemous....

They wanted to scare people into not committing sins..the Devil is a good way of doing that.

OP
OP
Alticus

Alticus

Mr. Excitement
Site Supporter ☠️
ABOUT 1970 when I was in primary school a UFO was caught on camera and representatives from NASA came to Perth WA to investigate. It ended up being a prank... two panel beaters (I don't know what the USA calls them, body shop workers?) just glued together some plastic cups and sauces and spray painted them and threw it up in the air...they took a picture. It made Australian national news.

Australia due to its isolation has been involved with the space program from the getgo along with all the space conspiracies.

As for JFK the last documentary did show Oswald was the assassin... and we saw first time footage of witnesses in that last doco. I believed them.

As far as conspiracies go I do love the exploration part and debunking or confirming theories whichever is the case. MYSTERIES are great fun.

The Devils Bible is interesting. I don't know anything about this book BUT it takes GREAT DEDICATION to make something like that so I am not dismissing it outright.

There was an artist..... I have to go look him up but he was responsible for doing many mural in churches...one very famous one was called the Garden of Earthly Delights... he was the first surrealist...
The Codex Gigas contains our entire Bible in it too.

chew the fat

Fluent In Sarcasm
Site Supporter
I'm still scared of the dark, so don't scare me... right ... :OhGawd:

I've been out camping in the middle of nowhere and there are no city lights etc...

I've seen a few strange things go over in the dark sky but I think most of them were satellites.

I've also heard strange noises in the middle of the night in some isolated places where we camped but I never saw anything ... I think ... :Disagree:

I always took a pump action shottie loaded with SG shells with me just in case.

chew the fat

Fluent In Sarcasm
Site Supporter

It was the middle of the night on a long straight road driving when my mate and I saw this flickering moving light way out in front of us.

We did think UFO.

We were a bit worried as it was coming towards us, but as it passed by it was a motorbike going flat out.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
It just flew right over your head that the man was dressed as a woman, didn't it?

No, it didn't. It's just open now, not closeted. It's been happening ever since humans have been humans.

You want to go back into the era of denial I suppose. It so offends your sensibility, you just can't stand it.

How about you get over yourself?

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I’d like to know what’s up with this Loch Ness monster bullshit.

I am pretty positive the whole lake was scanned once with boats steering side by side as they scanned the whole lake and found nothing. Not even fish because there wasn't any aquatic plants either.

There is also a story that way back a circus took their elephants for a swim in the lake and that famous picture we see is just one elephant's trunk poking out of the water... that is a plausible explanation.

There is no Loch Ness monster however there could at one time, way back, could have been something... I am not going to discount that.

Stories grow from something, don't they?

Last edited:

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
No, it didn't. It's just open now, not closeted. It's been happening ever since humans have been humans.

You want to go back into the era of denial I suppose. It so offends your sensibility, you just can't stand it.

How about you get over yourself?

How about you not responding to junk posts in the general section? Does that sound like a good plan to you?

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I suppose I could have been a model if I had wanted too but I didn't want to be filthy rich and skinny ... :OhGawd:

Only an idiot aspires to be a model that has a shelf life. But I suppose it could lead to other things.. like being raped and exploited...

I actually love the visual diversity on TV .. Plastic people don't do it for me.

What I cannot abide are people blubbering on it with pity-me stories.

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Here is a mystery. Why are there so many stupid people in the world?

That poor girl being told a lie. I would go to her and tell her the garden is the crickets REAL HOME, your crickets are just trapped and need to go home to their green garden.

C and P my post to her please.

Tell her I said the bad luck is coming from being told lies.

OP
OP
Alticus

Alticus

Mr. Excitement
Site Supporter ☠️

The story of La Isla de las Muñecas ("The Island of the Dolls") is intimately entwined with the story of Don Julian Santana Barrera. A native of Xochimilco, a borough of Mexico City, Don Julian left his wife and family sometime in the mid-20th century to sequester himself on an island on Teshuilo Lake. His reasons for doing so are hazy at best, but as soon became clear, Santana Barrera was not necessarily of sound mind. Not long after relocating, he made a chilling discovery on the shores of his island: the body of a young girl, drowned in the lake. A doll came floating down the canals shortly afterward, changing the course of Santana Barrera's life and the shape of the island for years to come.

Alone on the island, Barrera took the doll and hung it from a tree in order to appease the spirit of the deceased girl. But, at least in the eyes of the man who now considered himself the island's caretaker, the one doll was not enough. For the next 50 years, Santana Barrera would scrounge dolls from the trash and from the canals, and hang them from the island's many trees. Some he'd hang whole, others in various states of disrepair — headless, torso-less, or taken apart in other ways.

These don't sound like the actions of a person with a healthy grasp on reality, and indeed, there are many doubts surrounding this legend. The biggest question? The reality of the little girl who died. Many people, including Don Julian's own family, didn't believe that he ever found the girl, although whether they believe he made it up, imagined the experience, or was somehow mistaken is unclear. What is clear is that whether the girl existed or not, Don Julian devoted the rest of his life to her. And perhaps creepiest of all, even the end of his life had clear ties to the story of the drowned child. In 2001, Don Julian Santana Barrera passed away. His body was discovered — you guessed it — drowned in the canal, in the exact place he always said he'd seen the little girl. In response, tourists began flocking to the island to pay tribute. They brought dolls of their own, and to this day people honor both Santana Barrera and the girl (whether she was real or not) by hanging up dolls in tribute. You can do so too. Many ferries stop here, making it a macabre must-see on any tour of these ancient Aztec canals.

68bvqTL.png

fNia2JN.png

lwQf8vt.png

mscBhhl.png

OP
OP
Alticus

Alticus

Mr. Excitement
Site Supporter ☠️

So what the hell is going on here?

That wall of nightmares was discovered back in 1911 by geologist Griffith Taylor, giving it its name, The Taylor Glacier. Who knows what was the first thing he thought of when he saw all that blood-like water spewing out. But, they eventually assumed it can’t be the planet bleeding and it must be red algae causing the color.

Yet there was another question that stumped the explorers… the temperature of the glacier was cold enough to freeze saltwater but there was still a waterfall of red water pouring out without a problem.

It was at this point Griffith Taylor presumably said “hmm good question… anyway”, especially since it would take almost a hundred years for the question to be answered. Enter microbiologist Jill Mikucki and her team who figured out the answers to most of the questions about “blood falls”. Her papers from 2004 and 2009 revealed it wasn’t red algae creating the color but actually an almost two million-year-old network of subglacial rivers and a lake high in salt and rich in iron. As the trapped iron water starts to flow through the glacier it meets oxygen for the first time and turns the blood red color.

That’s one mystery solved but why isn’t it frozen?

Since the lake is extremely high in salt it takes a lot more to freeze but what little does begin to freeze releases heat, which then melts enough of the ice allowing the water to flow out. If that isn’t enough for you to say “hmm cool” there’s one more thing, that lake that is essentially a million-year-old time capsule contains microbes AKA living organisms.

This shows that if your perception is that life on this planet NEEDS oxygen, then you’re wrong since these microbes thrived in this oxygen-free environment. As we continue to study the environment of these microbes it may lead to us being able to understand if life on other planets could exist under the same circumstances.

*Please click the green link for further info.

0jQ6lCp.jpg

Lnl0fhX.jpg

GyUae34.jpg

Kc8Hyg6.jpg

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Me too Dove. It looks like one hell of a piece of work. I think you'd have to be Hulk Hogan to lift it though. lol

You've posted A LOT of stuff in this thread that you find fascinating and have read on.

Lately I've been stuck on the Amber room. I'm not as good at presenting this stuff as you are. I've tried a few threads like this one but it usually ends up just me masturbating lol.

If I could travel I would going to see things like the Codex Gigas. Or the location of the Bibilcal Siani mountain.....biblically archeology is something I'm on a huge kick with right now. Its astounding how much corroboration with the bible accounts have actually been found and it's worth more attention than most of the crap we fill our minds with. Even people who dont believe should have SOME interest....you dont have to believe in God to see the bible as valid, interesting and cool.

Ancient books are incredible. I think the ancient world was far more advanced then we know in ways we dont understand.

OP
OP
Alticus

Alticus

Mr. Excitement
Site Supporter ☠️
You've posted A LOT of stuff in this thread that you find fascinating and have read on.

Lately I've been stuck on the Amber room. I'm not as good at presenting this stuff as you are. I've tried a few threads like this one but it usually ends up just me masturbating lol.

If I could travel I would going to see things like the Codex Gigas. Or the location of the Bibilcal Siani mountain.....biblically archeology is something I'm on a huge kick with right now. Its astounding how much corroboration with the bible accounts have actually been found and it's worth more attention than most of the crap we fill our minds with. Even people who dont believe should have SOME interest....you dont have to believe in God to see the bible as valid, interesting and cool.
We have some fascinating things in this world just waiting to be discovered and studied.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Sorry just as a heads up....sometimes I get excited and suffer from premature post posting....so I add edits.

If it's a good topic and I seem frisky.....give me like 10 minutes. Well maybe like 3 to 5 minutes to add in the rest.

You know lest I add something you DONT actually like and you've already "liked" it and now it's too late to go back and dislike it without feeling like a dick.

You seem cool so I'm just looking out LOL.