Iconic Samsung boss, who once burned 150,000 cell phones, died

Q

Dictator of the Bastard Factory
Banned
Iconic Samsung boss, who once burned 150,000 cell phones, died

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

LEE KUN-HEE | South Korea's richest and most powerful industrialist, Lee Kun-hee, 78, passed away on Sunday. The man who turned Samsung Electronics into a giant global telecommunications company died in a hospital in Seoul.

When Lee inherited the chairmanship of the Samsung group, founded by his father, in 1987, the company was the largest conglomerate in the country. The son turned it into an international success story. "Chairman Lee was a true visionary, transforming Samsung from a local company to a leading innovator and industrial powerhouse. His legacy is immortal, "the company said in a statement. His ideas have turned Samsung into one of the world's leading developers and manufacturers of semiconductors, cell phones and LCD screens, South Korean media said.

Hermit
The South Korean counterpart of the Dutch entrepreneur Frits Philips was a mystery to many compatriots. Lee rarely ventured outside his private estate in downtown Seoul in recent years to get to the company's headquarters. This earned him the nickname "King Hermit". When he had a heart attack in 2014, Samsung was the world's largest manufacturer of smartphones and memory chips.

At the beginning of Lee’s leadership, Samsung was recognized as a maker of low-cost, low-quality products. "Let's change everything, except our wives and our children," he said in 1993 and changed course radically. To show that it was serious, the company burned the 150,000 cheap cell phones it still had in stock.

In 2008, Lee had to step down from his board of directors after a tax evasion conviction. Two years later, however, he returned as chairman. After his heart attack, his son Jay Y. Lee fulfilled his duties as vice president. Lee, who studied in Tokyo and Washington, loved dogs, horses, and large foreign cars. He was married to Hong Ra-hee, who was the daughter of a Justice Minister. They had four children. The youngest daughter committed suicide in 2006 while studying in New York.

Jake

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Kind of interesting here. About 1995 I met a couple of middle managers who worked for him, actually home hosted them for 3 weeks each, one at a time. They were here studying ESL and Samsung footed the bill, handsomely I might add. They both thought he was a genius, told lots of stories about him.

OP
OP
Q

Q

Banned
Kind of interesting here. About 1995 I met a couple of middle managers who worked for him, actually home hosted them for 3 weeks each, one at a time. They were here studying ESL and Samsung footed the bill, handsomely I might add. They both thought he was a genius, told lots of stories about him.
Yes, a great man died... But in the end we all die.

Jeannie

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
OP
OP
Q

Q

Banned
what is your occupation, maxi?
PI is forbidden.
[/QUOTE]
if its your own, spill it
[/QUOTE]
I work at one of the Netherlands largest banks. I am not going to tell you which one.

Since you're probably american, you would like to know about my "status", well: if you would look at the organogram of the organisation where I work, you'll see that I am directly below the CEO. We just do not call him CEO, I ususally just call him by his first name.

Jake

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
time matters, stupid

To quote my Tennessee ancestors, what's time to a hog?

They thought they understood the answer, but it sounds like you have your own spin on it. Please enlighten us. And as for "stupid" I think the jury's still out on how you and I compare, stupidity-wise.

he racked up almost 9k posts in 3 months lol

Don't be jelly. And if his posts bother you, try scrolling past them. My Vermont ancestors taught me that trick.

• Winner
Reactions: Q
OP
OP
Q

Q

Banned
Don't be jelly. And if his posts bother you, try scrolling past them. My Vermont ancestors taught me that trick.
Wise words, @Jake! I don't know why some people here make it a race to post as little as possible and blame the people that do post for posting... :geek:

OP
OP
Q

Q

Banned
You mention 3 months, but I joined May 17, 2020

That is:
167 days
or 4,008 hours
or 240,480 minutes
or 14,428,800 seconds

So roughly 5.5 months. Not 3.

Now look how much of those posts were in the Erotica section just posting pictures....

Holliday

Banned
Banned
time matters, stupid

To quote my Tennessee ancestors, what's time to a hog?

They thought they understood the answer, but it sounds like you have your own spin on it. Please enlighten us. And as for "stupid" I think the jury's still out on how you and I compare, stupidity-wise.

time matters, stupid

And as for "stupid" I think the jury's still out on how you and I compare, stupidity-wise.
Not in this court

Jeannie

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

That is:
167 days
or 4,008 hours
or 240,480 minutes
or 14,428,800 seconds

Now look how much of those posts were in the Erotica section just posting pictures....
^ the rainman
can i borrow u 2 count cards in vegas for a weekend?

OP
OP
Q

Q

Banned

That is:
167 days
or 4,008 hours
or 240,480 minutes
or 14,428,800 seconds

^ the rainman
can i borrow u 2 count cards in vegas for a weekend?
No, for the foreseeable future I will not set foot in america.