Is there a reason talk of politics gets so vitriolic?

OP
OP
Blurt

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
Blame me.

I ain't wrong, though.

Funny thing is, I'm fascinated by how human beings (try to) govern themselves (or, more properly, the polis) but I have zero tolerance for partisan platitudes. Politics is more of a philosophical pursuit for me than a hack-and-slash passion.

How should we live? What is the best system of government? Etc., etc.

The narrow, nitpicky "no-YuO-isms" of low-level partisan politics don't interest me much.

MrNiceGuy

peace through anarchy
☠️
What is the source of that hate? I have my theories, but most of you wouldn't like them.

My theory is that hate is evolution's way to having organisms compete to keep everything alive. It really is what a TRUE PROGRESSIVE would admit is the meaning of life. The struggle to struggle to remain relevant.

Knives aren't sharpened by remaining out of sight laying unused in a fucking drawer. They cut deep, they carve with gusto and even using a sharpener means using the blade in action.

The problem with people is they have decided they would rather be protected in a safe space amongst like minded ilk rather than embrace the cacophony of sharpening their own mind by being challenged to FUCKING USE IT TO DEFEND THEMSELVES.

Thus the lazy people i.e. the meek may very well inherit the earth. Living vegetables from wombs living amongst living vegetables from vines.

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
To the point of the OP, civil political discourse was bad enough in the Pre-Trump days - especially amongst the crowd that washed up here at Bastard Factory one way or another and caused all the recent stir of drama. Many of us have been arguing at each other for nearly 20 years.

But ever since Trump came down that elevator, it seems half the world has gone absolutely fucking mad with hate. From the political establishment and the unelected permanent bureaucracy here in the US, and even to the International Globalist interests in Europe and across the world. The utter hate and "resistance" to Trump has been an historical phenomenon that will be written about for centuries to come.

What is the source of that hate? I have my theories, but most of you wouldn't like them.
Reading the above post is funny, considering the post of yours I read and replied to about 10 or 15 minutes ago.

Reggie_Essent said:
Oh, Hi Lotus. So, you support indoctrinating children with Marxist Critical Race Theory in order to divide Americans and make them hate each other?

Oh wait! You're a Leftist Marxist America-Hating Traitor to Liberty, of course you do.

Last edited:

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I’ve always wondered why folks work themselves up to a point where they’re fixing to murder each other over ideas.

And yet I remain convinced that civil discourse is still possible.

How ‘bout we use fewer “you” statements and more “I” statements? Maybe that’d help, no?
In my opinion, the fundamental problem is the propaganda spun and the animus encouraged by the 2-party system. It is toxic in so very many ways.

OP
OP
Blurt

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
In my opinion, the fundamental problem is the propaganda spun and the animus encouraged by the 2-party system. It is toxic in so very many ways.

Can't disagree with that, I guess. Especially when you consider that some elements of one party can look and sound pretty much like elements of the other.

If you have only two parties (and maybe a couple handfuls of so-called "independents"), and pols are forced to toe the line over major policy issues, then it's not ideas that motivate policy decisions but the financial clout of special interest groups.

We always find out who really rules over us once we start following the money.

European and Asian politics are more diverse, even if similarly tethered to special interest groups.

Maybe ol' G47 has it right: "Fight the Duopoly!"

cw_

> you
Site Supporter ☠️
Of course G_47 is right. Duh. This is what my 'header' remark meant damnit!

AnnaConda

well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.......
I’ve always wondered why folks work themselves up to a point where they’re fixing to murder each other over ideas.

How ‘bout we use fewer “you” statements and more “I” statements? Maybe that’d help, no?
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and it grows stronger with each passing year. The current strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.

It seems many people hold core beliefs that are very strong.
So strong that when they are presented with solid insurmountable evidence that goes against that belief, the new evidence cannot be accepted. It seems to create a feeling that is extremely uncomfortable for the closed mind, ahhhhh cognitive dissonance.
Apparently it is so important to protect their core beliefs, they will rationalize, ignore and even deny anything that doesn't fit in with their core belief. Resorting, predictably, to hurling personal insults and name calling because let’s face it…when the battle of wits is lost slander becomes the tool of ignorance.

Therefore civil discourse is impossible considering so many are brainwashed by those who feel but do not think, they will forever remain profoundly outraged and outrageously ignorant by choice.

Last edited:

Cookie Monster

One of the cool Kids.
Site Supporter ☠️

Its when people impose their cultural politics and prioritise them over other peoples economic politics, goes on long enough it goes to war.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and it grows stronger with each passing year. The current strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.

So strong that when they are presented with solid insurmountable evidence that goes against that belief, the new evidence cannot be accepted. It seems to create a feeling that is extremely uncomfortable for the closed mind, ahhhhh cognitive dissonance.
Apparently it is so important to protect their core beliefs, they will rationalize, ignore and even deny anything that doesn't fit in with their core belief. Resorting, predictably, to hurling personal insults and name calling because let’s face it…when the battle of wits is lost slander becomes the tool of ignorance.

Therefore civil discourse is impossible considering so many are brainwashed by those who feel but do not think, they will forever remain profoundly outraged and outrageously ignorant by choice.

This is the best post of this thread. You hit the nail on the head.

RAVEN

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
:OhGawd:
6Spcu1r.jpg

2YYMtcS.jpg

AnnaConda

Oopsie - I’m still pretty new here and might have missed the rule requiring posters to cite their sources when posting on such an intellectually esteemed Algonquin Round Table type discussion forum. :GiggleBitch:
Thank god Karen is here to research, point out the obvious, and immediately report this unconscionable lapse of judgement to the attention of management and the community at large.
:GdBy:

[video]

Last edited:

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Because liberals are insane and dont even know if thay are boys or girls. Also thay want every thing for free.
Come on Weeg. Us Libs are wonderful people, besides Church and Chinese buffet is on your agenda today. Be content.

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Oopsie - I’m still pretty new here and might have missed the rule requiring posters to cite their sources when posting on such an intellectually esteemed Algonquin Round Table type discussion forum. :GiggleBitch:
Thank god Karen is here to research, point out the obvious, and immediately report this unconscionable lapse of judgement to the attention of management and the community at large.
:GdBy:

[video]

Just to be good with yourself, you should always cite your sources, imo.

The Prowler

Factory Bastard

You got caught and are now trying to act like you are above the level of conversation here with your sarcastic "intellectually esteemed" comment. Which is pretty ironic, since you need to rely on quotes from other people to express yourself.

OP
OP
Blurt

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
You got caught and are now trying to act like you are above the level of conversation here with your sarcastic "intellectually esteemed" comment. Which is pretty ironic, since you need to rely on quotes from other people to express yourself.

I agree. Ironically enough.

OP
OP
Blurt

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
jeebus chrisp with you people :OhGawd: OH THE HUMANITY!!!…..the moral outrage!!! …….. next time I’ll just kill your pets.

riuanup9.jpeg
Relax, Anna.

The “quote/ironic” comment was directed at The Prowler, whose words I quoted to express myself.

I’m very well aware that, when it comes to material sourced from the internet, there’s little that is new under the sun.

Kudos on the Far Side panel!

AnnaConda

Relax, Anna.

The “quote/ironic” comment was directed at The Prowler, whose words I quoted to express myself.

I’m very well aware that, when it comes to material sourced from the internet, there’s little that is new under the sun.

Kudos on the Far Side panel!
Good 2 know

Consider your pets safe :Happy5:

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
This @AnnaConda person seems a little thin-skinned.

You plagiarized, you got caught, a few people chatted about it.

It is not that big a deal.

Just remember to give credit to the original author when you quote people, instead of presenting their work as your own.

Back to the subject of politics: Any chance that you are a communist? Hahahaha!!!