I've been volunteering to walk dogs in the animal shelter

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Yes, it's crazy how many dogs there are. When you go down to the kennels, the sound of them all barking at once is ear splitting, there are so many.

You must really like dogs to put up with them like that.

I figger 1 really nice dog is enough to have around like a Golden retriever.

Not too many at once tho. I'm not really a dog person.

Dogs are superior beings.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Yes, it's crazy how many dogs there are. When you go down to the kennels, the sound of them all barking at once is ear splitting, there are so many.

Some maybe.

But like people, some dogs are created more equal than others.

Cats are generally a much easier animal to manage and have around.

cheaper too.

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

Some maybe.

cheaper too.

Easier to manage and cheaper does not equal better.

Jeannie

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

wolves even provide for their elder and maimed pack members who can no longer hunt and in trade they 'babysit' the pups while the pack hunts

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I'm not really a dog person
:GTFO: This doesn't surprise me :/

Actually I like some dogs a lot & get along famously with em.

Dogs rarely snarl or bark at me.

I'm on the same 'wavelength' as em. I usually just say "Hiya Dog!" And then they pause and approacheck me.

I make friends with many rather easily. They seem to have 'friendly' human characteristics.

And I can easily walk up to one & start petting em.

Yer never lonely with a dog around.

But they're like a child I suppose & once have em they become a responsibility the owner can't easily walk away from.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Walked dogs again today. It was a beautiful morning. A break in the rain. And the dogs are always so happy to get out. They're taking a break for the holidays, and then I go to the US, so I probably won't be walking them again for awhile. :Fucking Whaaaa!:

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
There has been a huge influx of dogs at the Humane Society where I walk dogs. I usually only go in for my regular shift on Wednesdays, but I am thinking that I should go in and walk a few today or tomorrow.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Some maybe.

cheaper too.

I hate when people compare cats and dogs. They are completely different animals and it's possible to appreciate and love both.

They are both intelligent and loyal companions. Dogs are pack animals so they are easier to train. Cats are not pack animals, so their whole "community structure" is different. But they are just as intelligent....just not as driven to please a human. You have to have an approach that is on the cats level. You have to really invest time into understanding them.

Cats are easier to neglect because they are pretty independent but they still need interaction and enrichment just like a dog. If you have a cat and just leave it to boredom, you'll have a cat that is closed off and starts having behavioral issues. They get bored and lonely like a dog would if you just put it in your house and let it be.

I have a lot of them here but I wouldnt say maintaining a clean litter box is easier than tending to a dog. Then the 30 pound bags of food. The 200 pounds of litter. The cat trees. Cat ledges. Cat beds. Cat toys. Cat PLEASE ASS BOX ME!. We play with them a few times a day. They are demanding as fuck. Vet costs. You should see what I go through with yearly worming meds.

If you treat your cat right and dont get one just to leave it alone to wander and sleep 24/7 its about as much work as a dog. Cats even really enjoy being walked.

There are many pros and cons to both cats and dogs but they really are different animals and comparing them is apples and oranges. Both are awesome.

Swamp-Duck

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
To me it ain’t home without a dog, a big dog, I’ve had a cat for two years and they get on fine, a well trained dog can really be your best mate.

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
To me it ain’t home without a dog, a big dog, I’ve had a cat for two years and they get on fine, a well trained dog can really be your best mate.

I prefer an under-trained dog. There are only a few things I need to train my dogs...

• do not poop or pee in the house
  • do not be destructive to certain things like furniture or clothes

Other than that, I just have to build trust and take a leadership role. I find that most dog behaviour that is acceptable to well-balanced dogs is also acceptable to people.

I do not like when I see dogs that are taught to heal constantly on their walks and never allowed to socialize with other dogs or people. I give my dogs the choice and not one has ever chosen to not be social with at least some other people and dogs.

Swamp-Duck

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I prefer an under-trained dog. There are only a few things I need to train my dogs...

• do not poop or pee in the house
  • do not be destructive to certain things like furniture or clothes

Other than that, I just have to build trust and take a leadership role. I find that most dog behaviour that is acceptable to well-balanced dogs is also acceptable to people.

I do not like when I see dogs that are taught to heal constantly on their walks and never allowed to socialize with other dogs or people. I give my dogs the choice and not one has ever chosen to not be social with at least some other people and dogs.
Yeah I get that, corse he plays with other dogs and likes meeting people, it’s just that I’m not a very big person and he’s a big strong dog, I can’t control him physically so I use commands.

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
Yeah I get that, corse he plays with other dogs and likes meeting people, it’s just that I’m not a very big person and he’s a big strong dog, I can’t control him physically so I use commands.

That sounds perfect. It sounds like you have his trust and respect, so he will be happy to listen to your commands when it is necessary.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I hate when people compare cats and dogs. They are completely different animals and it's possible to appreciate and love both.

They are both intelligent and loyal companions. Dogs are pack animals so they are easier to train. Cats are not pack animals, so their whole "community structure" is different. But they are just as intelligent....just not as driven to please a human. You have to have an approach that is on the cats level. You have to really invest time into understanding them.

Cats are easier to neglect because they are pretty independent but they still need interaction and enrichment just like a dog. If you have a cat and just leave it to boredom, you'll have a cat that is closed off and starts having behavioral issues. They get bored and lonely like a dog would if you just put it in your house and let it be.

I have a lot of them here but I wouldnt say maintaining a clean litter box is easier than tending to a dog. Then the 30 pound bags of food. The 200 pounds of litter. The cat trees. Cat ledges. Cat beds. Cat toys. Cat PLEASE ASS BOX ME!. We play with them a few times a day. They are demanding as fuck. Vet costs. You should see what I go through with yearly worming meds.

If you treat your cat right and dont get one just to leave it alone to wander and sleep 24/7 its about as much work as a dog. Cats even really enjoy being walked.

There are many pros and cons to both cats and dogs but they really are different animals and comparing them is apples and oranges. Both are awesome.
Do dogs or cats retain a memory of a person even if you've only seen them a few times @Dove? I went to this Christmas party yesterday & this golden retriever i had only seen 2 times before came up to me and allowed me to pet it on thr head.

Same goes with this cat my nephew owns. I've only seen her a few times but seems very comfortable around me.

...do animals remember a person they barely know or met just oncr or twice?

Or is that just their nature to be friendly? Or are there other things they rely upon like smell or the tone of a person's voice?

Last edited:

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Do dogs or cats retain a memory of a person even if you've only seen them a few times @Dove? I went to this Christmas party yesterday & this golden retriever i had only seen 2 times before came up to me and allowed me to pet it on thr head.

Same goes with this cat my nephew owns. I've only seen her a few times but seems very comfortable around me.

...do animals remember a person they barely know or met just oncr or twice?

Or is that just their nature to be friendly? Or are there other things they rely upon like smell or the tone of a person's voice?

They do remember people if they made they a very positive association with someone.

Did you give them treats?

We dont have people over that often at all. My daughter had 4 friends over for a sleep over and my tuxedos were TERRIFIED. So now when someone comes in, I have them kneel down and let themselves be sniffed and I have them give the cats a tube treat.

It's like this mushy chicken flavored stuff in a tube. We call it "going tubin" lol.