Just renewed my visa for another 3 years

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Whew. My visa expired the week they shut down the entity that handles immigrant viasas, and the new entity was completely disorganized. Neither one was able to help anyone for a couple of months. They had demonstrations in Lisbon with stressed out immigrants. They were backlogged by something like 60,000 applicants. I was illegal for about three weeks. But suddenly, three days ago, with no notice, everything opened up and I am once again a legal immigrant.

I can't imagine the stress immigrants in the US go through.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Whew. My visa expired the week they shut down the entity that handles immigrant viasas, and the new entity was completely disorganized. Neither one was able to help anyone for a couple of months. They had demonstrations in Lisbon with stressed out immigrants. They were backlogged by something like 60,000 applicants. I was illegal for about three weeks. But suddenly, three days ago, with no notice, everything opened up and I am once again a legal immigrant.

Since they weren't open would they have provided some kind of amnesty for people in your situation? It's not your fault if they aren't available to process immigration paperwork.

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Since they weren't open would they have provided some kind of amnesty for people in your situation? It's not your fault if they aren't available to process immigration paperwork.
Yes, but I couldn't leave the country, as I would have been denied re-entry, so I was worried about seeing my kids. No one knew what was happening. It was frustrating. I was checking on it every day with no clues.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Yes, but I couldn't leave the country, as I would have been denied re-entry, so I was worried about seeing my kids. No one knew what was happening. It was frustrating. I was checking on it every day with no clues.

Got it. Yeah, that sucks, especially at this time of the year when we want to spend time with our families. I'm happy for you that it worked out.

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

Ever since Covid the Migration offices has been in disarray. I just got my residency card, I renewed in July. Good for another 5 years. I can qualify for duel citizenship the next renewal, although I don’t see any point in it. If Fatso is elected, I might consider it.

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Ever since Covid the Migration offices has been in disarray. I just got my residency card, I renewed in July. Good for another 5 years. I can qualify for duel citizenship the next renewal, although I don’t see any point in it. If Fatso is elected, I might consider it.

I actually qualify for citizenship in a year. I am going to go for it. Having an EU passport is a really valuable thng. I'll be a dual citizen.