Knowledge

Mr. Whipple

brilliantly insane
Site Supporter
Scots slang favorite ‘Bawbag’ is finally an official word in the dictionary – albeit only in Scottish editions
A staple of comedy programmes Chewin the Fat and Still Game, it got national attention when ‘Hurricane Bawbag’ became the popular name for a massive storm a while back.
Macmillan’s open dictionary has welcomed the noun as a word that means scrotum, and can be used as a term of endearment or an insult (the more you know).
But what other Scottish slang deserves to be accepted into the dictionary? Here’s our top seven demands:
Yaldi
A term of excitement or joy, likely coming from a mixture of ‘Yes’ and ‘Laldi’, the latter word meaning ‘To do with great gusto’.
Yaldi can be used to express your current status on a night out (“Down in the mash house, giein it yaldi”) or as an expression of gratitude. “Yaldi! Ma’s got fish fingers for my tea!”
Pooched
A way to convey tiredness, describe something as broken or useless. e.g. “I’d come down to meet you if i wasn’t pooched.”
Usage of the word is handy for avoiding social situations. A less common way it can be used, is as a term for intercourse: “I got pooched right by a guy yesterday.”
Boaby
Can be considered as slang for policeman, but more commonly it’s used in reference to the penis. e.g. “I trapped my boaby in the jean zip”.
A common insult, used to criticise the actions of a stupid or air-headed induvidual. “He set up his tent inside out. What a boaby.”
Sesh
To describe a long night of drinking, most likely till late into next afternoon. The sesh has a hold on those who are susceptible to drugs and alcohol, with many young people both enamored and cautious of the highs and lows it has to offer.
Derived from ‘drinking session’, it can be argued that ‘The Sesh’ has become it’s own monster, where the aim is to keep last night’s party alive for as long as humanly possible.
Malky
Orignates from Rhyming slang, “Malky Fraser = Razor”. Can also be used to mean ‘Headbutt’, ‘Severely beaten’ or ‘Intoxicated’.
In the present tense it is ‘Malkies’ and in past and future tense ‘Malkied’. E.g. “He’ll be getting a dose o’ the malkies off me” or “Creamfields here we come, lets get malkied.”
Taps Aff
What was once a bit of weegie patter about stripping off has turned into a cultural meme: becoming a
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
and the inspiration for a million facebook ‘Taps aff’ posts when the sun comes out once a year. For obese people ‘Taps aff’ is a hard thing to get used to, especially as it is mainly spoken as an instruction, not a request.
Sometimes, you will see ‘Taps Aff’ hysteria in nightclubs, where sweaty enclosed spaces become even sweatier when large groups of young men slide about shirtless, dripping on and grossing out all the women in the club.
Once ‘Taps Aff’ is declared at the club it’s hard to know what will happen, but mostly it ends in a lot of topless guys hugging each other to thumping dance music.
Swally
To drink something alcoholic. Used to initiate drinking sessions “Fancy a swally down the shoogly peg?” or your current drinking status “Just having a swally.”
To also have a singular drink of somebody’s non-alcoholic drink, most often one that is not your own. “Gies a swally of your coffee?” “No thanks, that sounds disgusting. I don’t think you can ‘Swally’ coffee.”
Main image: Still Game
More:

Vile_Vixen

Factory Bastard
Tipping is not customary in Japan. In fact, it can be considered rude and insulting in many situations. Most Japanese restaurants require customers to pay for their meals at the front register, rather than leave money with the waiter or waitress. Tipping also isn't required for cab or bus rides and many hotel services.

Val Gina

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Tipping is not customary in Japan. In fact, it can be considered rude and insulting in many situations. Most Japanese restaurants require customers to pay for their meals at the front register, rather than leave money with the waiter or waitress. Tipping also isn't required for cab or bus rides and many hotel services.

We dont tip in Australia either, the minimum wage is enough to not need to.

TheHaze

If my dog doesn't like you, I probably won'teither
Site Supporter
a2-Nje2-Y-700b-v2.jpg

X

xXx
Site Supporter
I just posted in here to complete the sweep...now my name appears in ALL the 'latest posts' boxes out there ..and now you know ..
Knowledge

giphy.gif

Big Sexy

narcoleptic mattress salesman
Site Supporter
I learned what Pickle ball looks like.
Appears to be a cross between couples' tennis and ping pong.