Kopmala the big question mark

Admin.

When you're a Alpha, you're an Alpha all the way!
Site Supporter
☠️Private Forum Access
3chB1Bi.png

Fantom

Apparatus Of Satan
☠️Private Forum Access
No policies, no platform, no stances, no positions...
...all we know is that she's run away from the few "progressive" policies with which she tried to align herself in 2019/2020.

So what can we know about how she'd govern and who would benefit from her regime?

She is simply trying to be the 2024 version of Barack Obama but failing miserably. The economic policies that she has hinted on (price controls) are absolutely horrible for any market economy, and anyone that took econ in high school would know that. No wonder it seems like she rolled back on them.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
She is simply trying to be the 2024 version of Barack Obama but failing miserably. The economic policies that she has hinted on (price controls) are absolutely horrible for any market economy, and anyone that took econ in high school would know that. No wonder it seems like she rolled back on them.

She didn't say price controls, actually. I think she's thinking more about what Lina Khan is doing at the FTC going in on anti-trust, to be perfectly honest.

Fantom

Apparatus Of Satan
☠️Private Forum Access
She didn't say price controls, actually. I think she's thinking more about what Lina Khan is doing at the FTC going in on anti-trust, to be perfectly honest.
She didn't say that she was implementing price controls specifically, but you don't have to say it to imply it. What she said specifically is that she would issue a federal ban on price gouging for grocery stores.

1st off, most states already have anti-price gouging laws. Second, banning price gouging for grocery stores will almost certainly not have the intended effect. Because the grocery industry has such low profit margins and is highly competitive, it is already extraordinarily difficult for a firm to price gouge.

And finally, as almost all price controls do, it will de-incentivize firms to produce a surplus of goods because they will no longer be operating efficiently, this will certainly cause shortages.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
She didn't say that she was implementing price controls specifically, but you don't have to say it to imply it. What she said specifically is that she would issue a federal ban on price gouging for grocery stores.

1st off, most states already have anti-price gouging laws. Second, banning price gouging for grocery stores will almost certainly not have the intended effect. Because the grocery industry has such low profit margins and is highly competitive, it is already extraordinarily difficult for a firm to price gouge.

And finally, as almost all price controls do, it will de-incentivize firms to produce a surplus of goods because they will no longer be operating efficiently, this will certainly cause shortages.

The major conglomerates are merging. I think Kroger and Albertson's want to merge. I see the potential problem here.

And that's just in one industry. I'm unconvinced it was about price controls. But it's a narrative and people don't think beyond what they are told by the people on their screens.

Fantom

Apparatus Of Satan
☠️Private Forum Access
The major conglomerates are merging. I think Kroger and Albertson's want to merge. I see the potential problem here.

And that's just in one industry. I'm unconvinced it was about price controls. But it's a narrative and people don't think beyond what they are told by the people on their screens.
This is something that the supreme court is great at. If a firm becomes too large and approaches monopoly status, the supreme court will break it up.

Monopolies are not always bad, there are natural monopolies in most of the utility industries. It would certainly be bad for the grocery industry, but this goes back to what I was saying earlier about the competitiveness of the grocery industry. There is still a margin of small firms that compete with larger firms. If larger firms want to outcompete these smaller firms, they need to do a lot of things, including lowering prices.

Small profit margins make it hard for a grocery chain to grow at alarming speeds and swallow a market whole, like how tech companies did throughout the oughts and the tens.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
This is something that the supreme court is great at. If a firm becomes too large and approaches monopoly status, the supreme court will break it up.

Monopolies are not always bad, there are natural monopolies in most of the utility industries. It would certainly be bad for the grocery industry, but this goes back to what I was saying earlier about the competitiveness of the grocery industry. There is still a margin of small firms that compete with larger firms. If larger firms want to outcompete these smaller firms, they need to do a lot of things, including lowering prices.

Small profit margins make it hard for a grocery chain to grow at alarming speeds and swallow a market whole, like how tech companies did throughout the oughts and the tens.

They make up low profit margins on volume alone. Everyone has to eat.

I think the FTC has a role to play in busting up these monopolies. And if I were her, I would say this is my plan as President.

The price control narrative is an easy one to make in the public sphere. I can see why her opponents and academics, that no one really listens to, employ it.

Fantom

Apparatus Of Satan
☠️Private Forum Access
They make up low profit margins on volume alone. Everyone has to eat.
It's a bit more complicated than that. For one thing, the demand of groceries is relatively inelastic, meaning the quantity of groceries demanded does not change substantially when the price of groceries changes. Another thing is that superstores such as Walmart and target also sell value added products, such as prepared foods, as well as manufactured items such as toys, clothes, and electronics. They've essentially become one-stop-shops that people can go to for anything. There are other factors such as location choice, technology used to store perishables, etc.

I think the FTC has a role to play in busting up these monopolies. And if I were her, I would say this is my plan as President.
There are not many monopolies in the US, and most of the ones that do exist are natural monopolies, which occur when the most efficient number of firms in an industry is 1, and prices are not jacked through the roof. Oligopolies are far more common. I literally can not think of a single monopoly outside of the utility industries.

The price control narrative is an easy one to make in the public sphere. I can see why her opponents and academics that no one really listens to, employ it.

Because banning price gouging creates de facto price controls, specifically it has the same effect of implementing a price ceiling, which stops firms from raising their prices above a certain amount. This disincentivizes firms to produce goods because they can no longer operate efficiently. Price ceilings can not be placed above market equilibrium because it doesn't make sense to say "You can't sell bananas for more than 20$ a bunch". No firm in their right man is going to sell bananas for 20$/bunch because they would be swiftly outcompeted by other firms, so price ceilings must be placed under market equilibrium, which causes the market to operate inefficiently.

Murdy

Louie the Love Nugget’s Mom
Site Supporter
☠️Private Forum Access
What’s important to me, what I need to know is why is she trying to play the race card?

Perhaps she is drawling the proverbial line in the sand like the former KKk affiliated president did when he assaulted our freedoms of press and suppressed that evidence from us?

Admin.

When you're a Alpha, you're an Alpha all the way!
Site Supporter
☠️Private Forum Access
So what happens if she becomes president?
For starters millions of Americans won't be embarrassed by her. She will develop policies benefiting all Americans not just the the pollution creators. she will work to strengthen our bonds with our allies, which grows more important with each passing day.