Learning Portuguese is challenging at best

RANCIDMILKO ™ ®©

Ceedoobie's #1 Fan
Site Supporter ☠️
heres a jeopardy question

what isolated portugal from spain so much that portugal created their own language?

From google

"While the majority of lexical differences between Spanish and Portuguese come from the influence of the Arabic language on Spanish vocabulary, most of the similarities and cognate words in the two languages have their origin in Latin, but several of these cognates differ, to a greater or lesser extent, in meaning. "

Arab people tend to open pronounce their vowels more openly, the portuguese kinda got that.

RANCIDMILKO ™ ®©

Ceedoobie's #1 Fan
Site Supporter ☠️
Eu te diria pra arrumar um namorado brazuca, moça do bumbum médio. Mas você é casada, então vai ter que sofrer pelo caminho mais duro.

Tenho que sofrer de que?

PS, lmao @ bumbum médio. It's a nice one, in any case.

Is bumbum brasileiro? I had to look up moça. It's menina in PT.
Yes, bumbum is like "butt"

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

what isolated portugal from spain so much that portugal created their own language?

I often read here that Portuguese is closest to the original Latin. So creating their own language is not really accurate if that's true. But it could be myth.
well something isolated them, ie a mountain range

i thought u would know this one, easily

Yes, in the northeast. But not in the South. In the Northeast there is a separate language, not Portuguese, spoken by the people living in that mountain area. They are also still self sufficient. They don't have stores. They have communal gardens and raise animals communally. That area is endangered by modern BS.

I thought you were saying that Portuguese was created because of this jeapardy question. Misunderstood.

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

Jeannie

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
spanish is like italian, very snappy, whereas poruguese drags out the vowels like a drunken spaniard with a stroke

potuguese is hard on the ear

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I can’t remember but you must have had some Romance language back in your professional student days, oui?

I studied Spanish for years and spent time in Mexico. I studied French and Italian. Those things make it both easier and harder, because they all get jumbled in my head. I have an Italian/Colombian friend whose been here for five years and speaks Portanholiano. It's a riot. He can't keep any of it straight, but I understand him.

French is very hard.

Even tho it can even be learned for free in Canada and took several years of it, I could never absorb it. It just never registered.

Maybe I'll take 1 more 'stab' at it to see if it can be 'conquered'.

But if so, i'll learn Spanish then Italian 1st.

However, this time I don't think i'll go ta Quebec to learn proper French.

RANCIDMILKO ™ ®©

Ceedoobie's #1 Fan
Site Supporter ☠️

I often read here that Portuguese is closest to the original Latin. So creating their own language is not really accurate if that's true. But it could be myth.

Yes, in the northeast. But not in the South. In the Northeast there is a separate language, not Portuguese, spoken by the people living in that mountain area. They are also still self sufficient. They don't have stores. They have communal gardens and raise animals communally. That area is endangered by modern BS.

I thought you were saying that Portuguese was created because of this jeapardy question. Misunderstood.
Is it the Murtosa area?

I always heard Portuguese people saying that not even them could understand their dialect.

RANCIDMILKO ™ ®©

Ceedoobie's #1 Fan
Site Supporter ☠️
Right. Got that. But I don't think they say that here.
Over there, the crassest word for ass is "cu" I believe, same as here

Bumbum is probably the less offensive here, it's the preferred term outside "nádegas" (buttocks) which is too "serious".

And moça is usually how we refer to younger women here, you can use that to talk about girls from 14-40. After that you should use "senhora" especially if it's an older person.

You never call a very young woman senhora, same way you shouldn't call an older one moça.

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

Is it the Murtosa area?

I always heard Portuguese people saying that not even them could understand their dialect.

It's Mirandese in the Miranda do Douro region. Haven't been there, but want to go. I think it's a separate language, not even a dialect.

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
spanish is like italian, very snappy, whereas poruguese drags out the vowels like a drunken spaniard with a stroke

Portuguese does the opposite of dragging out vowels. It disappears vowels. More than half of them are not pronounced at all. You can hear them very nicely in Brasileiro, though. Maybe that's what you've heard?

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Portuguese does the opposite of dragging out vowels. It disappears vowels. More than half of them are not pronounced at all. You can hear them very nicely in Brasileiro, though. Maybe that's what you've heard?

Portuguese would be extremely hard for a non Native speaker because it is a language with pronounced tonal inflections. In that regard it's like Chinese. I'ts also very rhthmic. Say one tone wrong & the word cam be entirely different even tho the pronunciation is correct. I think.

Is that correct Portuguese speakers?

Last edited:
OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

Portuguese would be extremely hard for a non Native speaker because it is a language with pronounced tonal inflections. In that regard it's like Chinese. I'ts also very rhthmic. Say one tone wrong & the word cam be entirely different even tho the pronunciation is correct. I think.

Is that correct Portuguese speakers?

This is very correct for European Portuguese (Brazilian Portuguese is much more like a Romance language in regard to pronunciation. They pronounce and even elongate their vowels. Here, you can't find the vowels.). If you put the accent on the wrong syllable, over-pronounce a vowel, or leave out the all-important nasal inflection (which does not exist in Spanish), they literally have no clue what you said. They call Portuguese a stress-timed language. Spanish is syllable-timed. Very different.

"European Portuguese is a stress-timed language, with reduction, devoicing or even [often] deletion of unstressed vowels, and a general tolerance of syllable-final consonants." Wikipedia

The above is crucial to understanding spoken Portuguese and to being understood when speaking.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
You might like this, @Joe.

Pão means bread. That til over the "a" indicates the vowel is nasal. Pao without the til means "stick." If you say the word for bread without the nasality, they think you're saying stick, and stick is slang for penis. Like dick. If you go to a bakery and say "I want pao" without the nasal inflection, you are saying "I want dick." They will give you a look, for sure.

Try this: Go into a Portuguese bakery, go to the first male employee you see, and a little breathlessly, say, "Preciso de pao. Agora. Por favor." See what happens.

Last edited: