Middle Aged folks in the US compared to other countries

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Taxes are way fucking lower. Do some legit research.

Okay.

Google tells me

Average US income 1920: $3,269.40
Average US income 2020: $87,864.00

Marginal tax rate paid by average earner in 1920: 4% (
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
)

Marginal tax rate paid by average earner in 2020: 24% (
)

It seems that you do not know what the fuck you are talking about, LettuceButt.
in 1920, your $3,270 would buy you 130.8 oz of gold
in 2020, your $87,865 would buy you 48.8 oz of gold

This type of comparison is usually where people think WTF? Where's all my money going? Well, its the hidden taxes that cause you to make only a third of what people did way back when. Does anyone really think that corporations pay taxes? Well, idiots on the left do!

Not many people had that kinda money in them days...Lokmeer!

Took a long time to save it up $3,000

Typical hourly wage was like 15 to 20 cents an hour. But that d probably be like $15 or $20 an hour in today's money.
Look dickhead. My Great Grandpa made $65/week pre market crash. AS A MECHANIC!!!! People were well off then. After the market crash, he made $35/wk, some of it in tools. So, pre 1929, he made 2.6 gold bars per week, post 1929, he made 1 gold bar per week. So josephine, is the average pay even 1 gold bar per week today? Fukin idiot.

Why are so uppity, Hoppity?
Get outta the wrong side of the bed this morning?

Yeah mechanics were well paid in those days. As a relatively new technology the car or motorized vehicle was a bit like the computer today. There was a shortage of such people, they were in high demand so their wages were probably higher in real terms than today.

But my grandfather was a common laborer who didn't get paid much.
I'm sick josephine. But you still need grabbed by the pussy.

Gay AF
Yea, he is a lil bitch.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

Okay.

Google tells me

)

)

This type of comparison is usually where people think WTF? Where's all my money going? Well, its the hidden taxes that cause you to make only a third of what people did way back when. Does anyone really think that corporations pay taxes? Well, idiots on the left do!

Typical hourly wage was like 15 to 20 cents an hour. But that d probably be like $15 or $20 an hour in today's money.
Look dickhead. My Great Grandpa made $65/week pre market crash. AS A MECHANIC!!!! People were well off then. After the market crash, he made $35/wk, some of it in tools. So, pre 1929, he made 2.6 gold bars per week, post 1929, he made 1 gold bar per week. So josephine, is the average pay even 1 gold bar per week today? Fukin idiot.

Yeah mechanics were well paid in those days. As a relatively new technology the car or motorized vehicle was a bit like the computer today. There was a shortage of such people, they were in high demand so their wages were probably higher in real terms than today.

Gay AF
Yea, he is a lil bitch.

And you're a homo. Clearly closeted.

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Okay.

Google tells me

)

)

Gay AF
Yea, he is a lil bitch.

Yea, sure. Everyone that doesnt love and accept your disdain for Godly morality and faggotry is a fukin homo. Right? Bitch, you people are so fukin low I.Q. its a joke!

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Okay.

Google tells me

)

)

It's not hidden taxes. It's low fucking wages.
Lady, the real wages are less because more of the fukin money goes to nanny gubmints. For example, I pay 13.5% into SSI. Now on my paycheck, it says I only pay 6.25%. The company I work for pays the other half. When I was self employed, I paid ALL of it! Now why the fuck is that? Why not either have me pay it all where I can see it up front, or have my company pay it all?

And yet 'the Good Old Days' were a difficult time, Lokmeer!

There was no social supports & the quality of healthcare was poor.

In my Grand Dad's extended family his sister in law died leaving him to raise her 3 children. And of those children, 2 died young. His son, my uncle, nearly died, but was saved my what was then considered the miracle cure - the sulfa drug. I think think the whole community, his friends, had to contribute all this money to prevent my uncle from dying.

Times were tough in them days...Lokmeer!

Truly only the strong survived, eh?

And that was during the Great Depression. Soon afterwards World War II would follow & millions more would die ir perish.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

Okay.

Google tells me

)

)

Gay AF
Yea, he is a lil bitch.

Yea, sure. Everyone that doesnt love and accept your disdain for Godly morality and faggotry is a fukin homo. Right? Bitch, you people are so fukin low I.Q. its a joke!

You're the one posting homoerotic shit to another man. That is a fact.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter

Okay.

Google tells me

)

)

Lady, the real wages are less because more of the fukin money goes to nanny gubmints. For example, I pay 13.5% into SSI. Now on my paycheck, it says I only pay 6.25%. The company I work for pays the other half. When I was self employed, I paid ALL of it! Now why the fuck is that? Why not either have me pay it all where I can see it up front, or have my company pay it all?

In my Grand Dad's extended family his sister in law died leaving him to raise her 3 children. And of those children, 2 died young. His son, my uncle, nearly died, but was saved my what was then considered the miracle cure - the sulfa drug. I think think the whole community, his friends, had to contribute all this money to prevent my uncle from dying.

And that was during the Great Depression. Soon afterwards World War II would follow & millions more would die ir perish.

People could buy a house on one income.

Sure we didnt have the medical advancements we have today but even insurance plans were better. Shits just ridiculous today.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

Okay.

Google tells me

)

)

Sure we didnt have the medical advancements we have today but even insurance plans were better. Shits just ridiculous today.

Get a job and keep a job.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Okay.

Google tells me

)

)

My grandfather & his extended family rented a small house back in the Great Depression in the working class part of town. He made a living selling coal door to door. He couldn't afford to buy a house but at least he had 'a job'. But many people weren't so lucky. They either lived in 1930s style boarding houses or shanty towns/tent cities. Unemployment was 30%. Many families were on relief.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter

Okay.

Google tells me

)

)

My grandfather & his extended family rented a small house back in the Great Depression in the working class part of town. He made a living selling coal door to door. He couldn't afford to buy a house but at least he had 'a job'. But many people weren't so lucky. They either lived in 1930s style boarding houses or shanty towns/tent cities. Unemployment was 30%. Many families were on relief.

My grandma grew up on a farm in Michigan and she moved to Detroit with her husband, where they bought a house in what WAS a great area at the time, on his income. Then he went to war and died at Normandy, and my Grandma worked in factories building war planes and stuff.

Then she married my grandfather, and he worked for GM... part of the Big 3. They moved after the riots and all the ongoing destruction that destroyed that city.

I was covered under my grandfather's Blue Cross from GM right up until I was 26 and it covered EVERYTHING. And he died when I was 1 year old.

Now everyone is a debt slave. Most people cant even afford to die today.

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Okay.

Google tells me

)

)

josephine, pointing to the ability of the poorest of the poor being able to get instaporn on their phone today isnt a sign that things were terrible back then. My grandfather got a $20 gold coin every birthday until he was 11, when the market crashed and the bank confiscated their safety deposit contents. Middle class kids sure as fuk dont get an oz of gold for their birthdays today!

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Okay.

Google tells me

)

)

Yea dummy, that was AFTER the market crash.

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
I think my grandfather told me he made 15 cents an hour for 12 to 14 hour shifts 6 days a week in 1920 shoveling coal into locomotive furnaces for the railway.

Either your memory is faulty or your grandfather was just having a little fun with his retarded grandson.

"In 1920, the Internal Revenue Service reports, the average income was $3,269.40 per year. "

Your grandfather would have to work 21,793 hours to make an average wage. That is 1556 14 hour shifts. That is 259 weeks of 14 hour shifts, 6 days a week. That is nearly 5 years.

So 5 years working like a dog to earn an average yearly wage.

Bull.

Shit.

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I think my grandfather told me he made 15 cents an hour for 12 to 14 hour shifts 6 days a week in 1920 shoveling coal into locomotive furnaces for the railway.

Either your memory is faulty or your grandfather was just having a little fun with his retarded grandson.

"In 1920, the Internal Revenue Service reports, the average income was $3,269.40 per year. "

Your grandfather would have to work 21,793 hours to make an average wage. That is 1556 14 hour shifts. That is 259 weeks of 14 hour shifts, 6 days a week. That is nearly 5 years.

Bull.

Shit.
Well, josephine is a notorious liar. Hell, my grandfather made $46/week at a factory job when he was in his late teens early 20's. Thats about $1.15/hr. Maybe josephine's family are all hobo's tho?

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

Bull.

Shit.

His grandfather wasn't in the United States. He was in Canada.

Here are the wages in Canada in 1936 for unskilled factory work. His grandfather was selling coal and in the 20's. His story is plausible.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Bull.

Shit.
Well, josephine is a notorious liar. Hell, my grandfather made $46/week at a factory job when he was in his late teens early 20's. Thats about $1.15/hr. Maybe josephine's family are all hobo's tho?

just to clarify that was during the War years between 1916-18. Just before the 1920s. Wages were a bit lower prior to the 1920s. You can do a search. And even in USA before 1920 the was was slightly lower as well. There was inflation after WW1 and wages went up too.

One website says carpenters in Washington DC made 95 cents an hour in 1920.

Average was about $650 in 1900 . It remained there till WW I.

Last edited:

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Bull.

Shit.

just to clarify that was during the War years between 1916-18. Just before the 1920s. Wages were a bit lower prior to the 1920s. You can do a search. And even in USA before 1920 the was was slightly lower as well. There was inflation after WW1 and wages went up too.

Thats $1976 per year at $0.95/hr. If thats right, and I'm not saying it is, gold was only $20/oz then. Thats about 99oz of gold per year.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

Bull.

Shit.

Look at my post, it's just above yours. I found wage data for unskilled labor for 1936, it should guide the discussion

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Bull.

Shit.

Wages in the US have always been slightly higher. American workers had more diposible income back then than their Canadian counterparts.

Maybe in that time? 25% more?

US $ usually worth more than Canadian $.

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Bull.

Shit.

Wages in the US have always been slightly higher. American workers had more diposible income back then than their Canadian counterparts.

Maybe in that time? 25% more?

US $ usually worth more than Canadian $.
Well josephine, my family passed down the details of their lives so thats why I know what I do. I know that Americans were taxed less and made more 100 years ago. Two people didnt have to work to provide for a household back then.

The Prowler

Factory Bastard

Bull.

Shit.

Look at my post, it's just above yours. I found wage data for unskilled labor for 1936, it should guide the discussion

It does not do anything but show Joe is spreading bullshit.

He said 15 cents per hour. In 1917 the average wage for manufacturing was over 57 cents per hour.

How useless could grandpappy have been to work for about 25% of the average? Fuck.

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Bull.

Shit.

He said 15 cents per hour. In 1917 the average wage for manufacturing was over 57 cents per hour.

How useless could grandpappy have been to work for about 25% of the average? Fuck.
My grandfather told me they called people like that "rag pickers" back in the day. I guess bums could make money gathering things to be used as rags back then.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I believe you are talking about what used to be called "rag and bone men". It is a late mideaval name because rags and bones were collected to make things like paper and fertilizer.

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I believe you are talking about what used to be called "rag and bone men". It is a late mideaval name because rags and bones were collected to make things like paper and fertilizer.
Hard to say. I took it as a term for bums trying to feed themselves during the early 30's.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Bull.

Shit.

Maybe it was around 17 cents.

But it wasn't much higher than that.
He was only 16 when he arrived in Canada.
And I think he said it was the CPR. So right when he came he started at the bottom at minumum wage I suppose.

But that is an accurate figure for that era. Many workers made about $600 to $700 per year in 1916. It wasn't the roaring 20's yet. And bread cost 5 cents a loaf. A loaf of bread today is $3-$5. So that $600 wage more like $30-45,000 in real purchasing power.?

Will find a link.

There was inflation after WW1 & wages rose after that war.

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

Okay.

Google tells me

)

)

Let's be honest. in 1921, taxes on earnings went up to 71%. They were much higher then.

Let's be honest about this thing by looking at the whole picture. I wasn't referring to one year.

And, the point is also, what can a middle class wage buy now as opposed to what it could buy then. The real point is that one could live a life on one's income in the past (though 1920 was not the specific era I was referring to. I think the years leading up to and post depression have their own characteristics). It is very difficult in most parts of the country to live on the median wage in the US now. The median wage is 39k, not 87k. That means half of people earn less than 39k. People earning millions a year cause average salaries to tilt higher. The common worker does not make 87k.

Last edited:

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
Let's be honest. in 1921, taxes on earnings went up to 71%. They were much higher then.

Not for the average worker. For the average worker, taxes were 4%, which is much lower than the 12/10% the average worker pays today.

It is more expensive to live now (relative to average income) largely due to the fact that we have a lot more luxuries. How many people had two cars in their driveway in the first half of the 1900's? How many went on 2 cruises a year?

But I was not talking about all of that.

I was simply pointing out that your "Do some legit research." comment was inappropriate.

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

Not for the average worker. For the average worker, taxes were 4%, which is much lower than the 12/10% the average worker pays today.

It is more expensive to live now (relative to average income) largely due to the fact that we have a lot more luxuries. How many people had two cars in their driveway in the first half of the 1900's? How many went on 2 cruises a year?

But I was not talking about all of that.

I was simply pointing out that your "Do some legit research." comment was inappropriate.

No, it's more expensive to live now due to the fact that wages have NOT kept up with inflation and housing costs are exorbitant thanks to greedy speculators and developers. And people need two cars in their driveway because they have 2 working people now and there is no public transportation to speak of and most people can't afford to live close to their jobs. It's absurd to refer to that as a luxury. Most people who make 39k a year or less don't have many luxuries. Average wage earners in the US do not go on 2 cruises a year. That's ludicrous.

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
The gubmints siphons off more money in a multitude of ways these days which has driven down business profits and wages.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

A nice car was a luxury.

I read somewhere that President Eisenhower said he couldn't afford a car when he was in the army & luxuries like that only became available to him much later in life.

Otherwise he was driven around.