Pass the collection plate!

skinofevil

Undeniably Plausible
Site Supporter
Throw me a dollar on Paypal so I can do something for New Year's Eve.

I'm kidding, don't do that. But being broke on NYE sucks ass. lol

OP
OP
skinofevil

skinofevil

Undeniably Plausible
Site Supporter
But for serious, don't any of you ever try your hand at freelance writing unless you like going hungry. People will shell out hundreds or thousands of bucks to corporations and never give it a second thought, but small business types like me have to fight tooth and nail to get paid for the work we do. So not worth it.

TheHaze

If my dog doesn't like you, I probably won'teither
Site Supporter
But for serious, don't any of you ever try your hand at freelance writing unless you like going hungry. People will shell out hundreds or thousands of bucks to corporations and never give it a second thought, but small business types like me have to fight tooth and nail to get paid for the work we do. So not worth it.

Try writing about something people care about !

OP
OP
skinofevil

skinofevil

Undeniably Plausible
Site Supporter
By 'freelance writing' I don't mean blogging. Although, really, the line between blogging and freelance writing can get pretty blurry and, indeed, can overlap if somebody offers to pay you for blogging.

But a freelancer isn't an indie publisher. He generally only chooses what he writes about insofar as he chooses which publisher to offer his services to. You can't hire on to produce text content for, say, an automotive magazine and then just throw up your hands one morning and go, "Aw, what the hell, let's do a piece about big bouncin' titties today." Well, you could, but you wouldn't collect on the invoice for that piece. Or... y'know, any more work for that publisher, either.

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter
I feel ya man, as a freelance graphic designer, I run into the same shit sometimes. I also use to work for an advertising agency. Hell, 12 years ago, the going rate was $120 an hour from a company, but no one wants to pay that to a freelancer. And it also takes a month or two after the work is done to get paid. I feel like Im very fair though on what I do charge, when I do have work to do.