Terry is the neighbour that you want...

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Those were the days. Sure it was over weight and road like a land yacht but with a 6.5L V-8 even a brick can go fast. You could pass everything except a gas station.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
When I was in high school one of my friends, a neighbor kid who was two years older, had a Rover SD3500 (mid 1980's vintage) with a 5 speed manual. It was an ugly and unreliable beast but that formerly Buick aluminum V-8 it was plenty fast and could lay an impressive patch of burnt rubber.

My aunt had a 1965 Ford Mustang 289 C.I.D. V-8 with a 3 speed automatic which my grandparents had owned before her (bought new in 1965) which she would let my cousin drive before he wrapped it around a tree. Believe it or not the aluminum bodied Rover was faster. I believe my bad's mid life crisis car of a 1986 Fox body Mustang 302 C.I.D. V-8 with 5 speed Mustang was faster though.

There is no replacement for displacement as they say and a 5L had more get up and go than a 3.5L Rover.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
In high school all I had (starting on my 16th birthday) was a 1976 VW Beetle with an 1800 cc motor and a 4 speed manual. I bitched about it be slow and my dad would say "Good. That makes it perfect for a teen."