Thanksgiving side dishes

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
What's going to be or was (Canadians) at your table this year? Any new recipes?

We're not having anything new. It's cornbread dressing with giblets, green beans, mashed potatoes, bourbon yams with pecans, fresh cranberry sauce and gravy. I want to change it up some, but everyone has a favorite they don't want to give up.

I have this recipe I may want to exchange with regular mashed potatoes. I got it from my friend's Norwegian mom. It's mashed potatoes with spinach and fresh dill, with sour cream, butter and milk. You then put it in the oven in a baking dish with a sprinkle of sugar on top to make it a bit crunchy and sparkly. I am thinking I can add grated cheese instead...

cw_

> you
Site Supporter ☠️
OP is pretty much what I do for TG except not cornbread dressing, and I do mash potatoes with sour cream, butter, milk, chives, and cooking water. TG was always at my house for years when family was home/closer. I'll probably have a roast chicken instead of turkey again this year.
Xmas is for ham. Mom used to send a honey roasted ham every year before she died. Most of the recipes I use are from her (along with my very life!). :D

OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
OP is pretty much what I do for TG except not cornbread dressing, and I do mash potatoes with sour cream, butter, milk, chives, and cooking water. TG was always at my house for years when family was home/closer. I'll probably have a roast chicken instead of turkey again this year.
Xmas is for ham. Mom used to send a honey roasted ham every year before she died. Most of the recipes I use are from her (along with my very life!). :D

We used to cook ham for Xmas, but we've replaced it with prime rib. We do ham at Easter. Being Mex-American we have made tamales for Xmas as well. So.Much.Work...but if I make them ahead of time and freeze them...that could work.

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
Christmas is for Yorkshires pudding, mashed & roasted potatoes, roast beef, peas with mint, roasted brussel sprouts, and gravy all over everything.

We will also be doing tamales and a crown pork like a lovely friend suggested with his version of Spanish rice. I’m thinking serve this 3ish and then move on to the British Invasion by 8 pm sharp.