Tomorrow I start my 3rd Portuguese class

RANCIDMILKO ™ ®©

Ceedoobie's #1 Fan
Site Supporter ☠️
When I was a young girl we had family friends that were Chilean (passed on now) that were newly arrived from Chile. We were visiting them at their home and they were discussing the challenges of learning Spanish in their 50's. The Chileans can be pretty funny people. The husband says "I've heard that the best way to learn English is to sleep with an American." Of course there were some chuckles...it was the way he said it that was funny. Without missing a beat, his wife drolly responds "I think learning English would benefit me greatly". That drew the most laughs because she was such a sweet and straight laced woman.

:GiggleBitch:

LOL one time I was at a bbq in the US and Carlos, a portuguese guy who swore he was Brazilian was joking about going to the go-go bar after finishing work, he was speaking loudly, so his wife could hear too

She just laughed and said "as long as you bring the porto and the bacon home honey, it's all good"

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I never took Turkish classes but I was a bit younger when I started. I think I just got in under the deadline sometimes.

Did you start learning in Turkey?

It is a problem here that so many people speak English. There are more fluent English speakers here than there are in the other romance language countries. And they all want to speak English. They love it when they find out you're an English speaker.

The class was excellent. With her it's just one-on-one conversation, which is what I need. Idioms and the like.

deport_liberals

Banned
Banned
If you wanna speak these so called romance languages you have to fuck and argue with native speakers and have copious amounts of booze in you during the process

OK. I'm on it.
I never took Turkish classes but I was a bit younger when I started. I think I just got in under the deadline sometimes.

It is a problem here that so many people speak English. There are more fluent English speakers here than there are in the other romance language countries. And they all want to speak English. They love it when they find out you'r an Anglish speaker.

The class was excellent. With her it's just one-on-one conversation, which is what I need. Idioms and the like.
I did some pimsleur cds before I came. But 90% of my speaking came from playing cards with the guys at my first job here on our breaks. They didn't know English at all and after 3 months I was proficient but obviously lacked a lot of vocabulary. I learned a lot of that by walking around the city and in stores and such. Just reading everything and making connections instead of translations. So I have some topics I can't talk much about in English actually.

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
If you wanna speak these so called romance languages you have to fuck and argue with native speakers and have copious amounts of booze in you during the process

OK. I'm on it.

It is a problem here that so many people speak English. There are more fluent English speakers here than there are in the other romance language countries. And they all want to speak English. They love it when they find out you'r an Anglish speaker.

I did some pimsleur cds before I came. But 90% of my speaking came from playing cards with the guys at my first job here on our breaks. They didn't know English at all and after 3 months I was proficient but obviously lacked a lot of vocabulary. I learned a lot of that by walking around the city and in stores and such. Just reading everything and making connections instead of translations. So I have some topics I can't talk much about in English actually.

Yeah. Having a job probably helps a lot.

Plus, my learning curve was very rudely interrupted by the pandemic. There were virtually no exchanges with locals for more than a year, and I kind of had to start over a year ago. I didn't have the friendly neighbors then that I have now. I was in the city, and it was locked down tight.