"We have to ban TikTok to save democracy!"

Garraty_47

Mutants Rule!
Site Supporter
In typical 'Murican fashion the canards of "protecting the kids" and "Eek! China!" are being trotted out to justify banning or destroying TikTok in a bipartisan but democrat-led effort. #GenocideJoe has already promised to sign the legislation if it clears both houses of congress.

The democrats are not a lesser evil.
They're only blue evil as opposed to red evil.

Fuck the duopoly.

OP
OP
Garraty_47

Garraty_47

Mutants Rule!
Site Supporter
Tik Tok is so irritating. I'll still be able to watch it, and I still won't.

I've never had a TikTok account but some of the TikTok compilations (D&D, funny pets, etc.) I've noticed on YouTube are pretty funny. It seems like a fairly diverse community insofar as topics/categories like any other large social media platform; what the establishment doesn't like about it is that it's not based in 'Murica so they can't easily manipulate the content.

It's about narrative control, period.

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I've never had a TikTok account but some of the TikTok compilations (D&D, funny pets, etc.) I've noticed on YouTube are pretty funny. It seems like a fairly diverse community insofar as topics/categories like any other large social media platform; what the establishment doesn't like about it is that it's not based in 'Murica so they can't easily manipulate the content.

It's about narrative control, period.
Well, it's about some sort of control. Narrative? I don't know. Something to do with China and power struggles. But I still find tiktok to be beyond irritating. Just another black hole for internet addicts to tumble down. Mostly stupidity.

OP
OP
Garraty_47

Garraty_47

Mutants Rule!
Site Supporter
Well, it's about some sort of control. Narrative? I don't know. Something to do with China and power struggles. But I still find tiktok to be beyond irritating. Just another black hole for internet addicts to tumble down. Mostly stupidity.

The stupid parts are mostly what are shown because as usual the people showing them equate popularity with worth. If someone gets a million views for doing a silly dance while someone else only gets a thousand for talking about an important geopolitical issue which do you think is going to be portrayed as "representative" of the app?

The vapid famous-for-being-famous content is what will grab the focus because it's more efficient clickbait.

But if that's all that existed on TikTok they wouldn't care about it.

There are also people posting stories and footage directly from places like Gaza and then even more people are sharing that content and talking about it. The USA/NATO lies are being widely exposed and that's a big problem for the establishment because they can't threaten and bully TikTok over content the way they do platforms like Facebook and Xwitter.

Agencies like the FBI actually have people embedded inside domestic platforms (see: Twitter Files) as well as "cooperation" agreements with other government departments which allow the government to dictate which accounts can remain active and which topics can and can not be discussed without resulting in punitive action against users.

The Biden administration is currently fighting a court battle over this very issue of interference with first amendment rights on social media platforms and they tried to set up an entire "ministry of truth" (Disinformation Governance Board) to further that goal but had to shelve those plans when people learned about it.

In this age when everyone has a cell phone and is potentially a citizen journalist as well as having access to unfiltered information from across the world all the democrats and republicans have left is narrative control which is why they're resorting to increasingly draconian measures, like banning TikTok, to retain it.

Reactions: X

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
The stupid parts are mostly what are shown because as usual the people showing them equate popularity with worth. If someone gets a million views for doing a silly dance while someone else only gets a thousand for talking about an important geopolitical issue which do you think is going to be portrayed as "representative" of the app?

The vapid famous-for-being-famous content is what will grab the focus because it's more efficient clickbait.

There are also people posting stories and footage directly from places like Gaza and then even more people are sharing that content and talking about it. The USA/NATO lies are being widely exposed and that's a big problem for the establishment because they can't threaten and bully TikTok over content the way they do platforms like Facebook and Xwitter.

Agencies like the FBI actually have people embedded inside domestic platforms (see: Twitter Files) as well as "cooperation" agreements with other government departments which allow the government to dictate which accounts can remain active and which topics can and can not be discussed without resulting in punitive action against users.

The Biden administration is currently fighting a court battle over this very issue of interference with first amendment rights on social media platforms and they tried to set up an entire "ministry of truth" (Disinformation Governance Board) to further that goal but had to shelve those plans when people learned about it.

In this age when everyone has a cell phone and is potentially a citizen journalist as well as having access to unfiltered information from across the world all the democrats and republicans have left is narrative control which is why they're resorting to increasingly draconian measures, like banning TikTok, to retain it.
I would think youtube is much more dangerous than tik tok, in regard to narrative control.

OP
OP
Garraty_47

Garraty_47

Mutants Rule!
Site Supporter
I would think youtube is much more dangerous than tik tok, in regard to narrative control.

Not the same way.
YouTube is owned by Google who has a lot of military and other government contracts; they are relatively compliant with establishment demands for censorship.

There are definitely subjects that can't be talked about, or at least not in certain ways. They often have a lot of trouble distinguishing between "fair use" and actual copyright violations, too, though some of that is probably related to the whole narrative question as well.

Google/YouTube is no more a bastion of "free speech" than Facebook or Xwitter, ultimately.

That's why newer more permissive platforms like Rumble have started to gain popularity.

When I upload a video I upload it to both YouTube and Rumble.

X

xXx
Site Supporter
Another platform

i actually read that, I don’t go past a paragraph usually, was interesting but fuck I read it in your voice so it took me like 45 minutes

X

xXx
Site Supporter
I dislike TikTok but I like the animal comps
I hate the fat singers that think they’re seXy dancers

OP
OP
Garraty_47

Garraty_47

Mutants Rule!
Site Supporter
Another platform

i actually read that, I don’t go past a paragraph usually, was interesting but fuck I read it in your voice so it took me like 45 minutes

Y'all gonna get sweet on me ain'tcha?

S'alright, you ain't gonna be the first to succumb to the hillbilly charm of ol' Garraty.

Come on in and set a spell! LoL

• Funny
Reactions: X

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Y'all gonna get sweet on me ain'tcha?

S'alright, you ain't gonna be the first to succumb to the hillbilly charm of ol' Garraty.

Come on in and set a spell! LoL
I hate to admit this, but I usually hate hillbilly voices. But you have a nice one. :GiggleBitch: LOL

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I'm on the fence with this whole Tik Tok thing myself. I just don't find a legitimate reason for banning and I don't see it as a security risk.

Or rather, I don't understand why it would be. Not from what I've seen on TT.