What do you like to accompany your fresh Mahi Cervechi ?

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I generally like fresh Corn chips. Garlic buttered toasts works well. Crackers? Maybe nothing?

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
You mean ceviche?

Yes, Ceviche. Do you like it ?
I do, but I've been staying away from stuff with uncooked fish, too many reports of people getting sick or catching worms from those.

A good alternative is to make shrimp ceviche and cook it in boiling water no more than 2 minutes. It's cooked and you can chop it up and eat it with the other ingredients without the danger of worms.

It's still tender.

I like it with tortilla chips.

RANCIDMILKO ™ ®©

Ceedoobie's #1 Fan
Site Supporter ☠️
You mean ceviche?

I do, but I've been staying away from stuff with uncooked fish, too many reports of people getting sick or catching worms from those.

A good alternative is to make shrimp ceviche and cook it in boiling water no more than 2 minutes. It's cooked and you can chop it up and eat it with the other ingredients without the danger of worms.

It's still tender.

Yeah, peace of mind

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
You mean ceviche?

It's still tender.

Yeah, peace of mind

Almost more important than anything else.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Almost more important than anything else.

It's just like when I see people eating uncooked beef

Okay, I have to admit I like carpaccio. It's delicious. All the meat has to be handles hygienically. And it has to be cooked properly.

But, now with all the "organic" fruits and veggies, people are also getting sick with foodborne diseases. It's not just meat anymore you have to be careful with...

RANCIDMILKO ™ ®©

Ceedoobie's #1 Fan
Site Supporter ☠️
Okay, I have to admit I like carpaccio. It's delicious. All the meat has to be handles hygienically. And it has to be cooked properly.

But, now with all the "organic" fruits and veggies, people are also getting sick with foodborne diseases. It's not just meat anymore you have to be careful with...

Some "meat boutiques" (yeah, we have those here) offer beef that's guaranteed to be safe to eat uncooked

Carpaccio and kibbeh made with them are ok, I guess. Of course, they cost double the price of the same cut without the label.

But something tells me that all the antibiotics and deworming medicine they give to cattle that's going to be consumed raw to make sure it's free of parasites is enough to make me think twice.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

Some "meat boutiques" (yeah, we have those here) offer beef that's guaranteed to be safe to eat uncooked

Carpaccio and kibbeh made with them are ok, I guess. Of course, they cost double the price of the same cut without the label.

But something tells me that all the antibiotics and deworming medicine they give to cattle that's going to be consumed raw to make sure it's free of parasites is enough to make me think twice.

You make a good point. I haven't had carpaccio in ages. Maybe I'll keep it that way. lol

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter
I most meats underdone. If I’m having fish, I usually prefer it raw. Soy sauce and wasabi is a standard for me with raw fish. I love bonito particularly, because I can catch the “mini-tuna” off the rocks. I’ll wash that down with some sake’.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter
Freeze it. That will kill any parasites. It is what is done with sushi. All sushi sold in the US was previously flash frozen.

Roundworms are very resilient, even freezing won't kill them.

Best to cook food.
Only method guaranteed to kill parasites and bacteria
The taste and texture is for it to be raw though. I’ve eaten sashimi all my life without consequence. A country’s food health standards is obviously an important factor. Running the fish under the tap and then a quick searing helps. But I love catching it fresh and handling it myself.

Back in South Africa is was prudent to take worming pills every 6 months to a year. Australia has high food safety standards so I’ve never bothered.