An Old Woman in my building was shouting all the time until a little girl temporarily moved into the neighboring suite

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I posted this thread at VF but thought I’d post it here since there seem to be larger number of women members at BF.

So here goes…..

“Shes often very angry about her life and I often hear her raising her voice & even screaming. Previously she always shouted at her husband but he seems to no longer live there but she raises her voice at her son who appears to have taken his father’s place living there

However a pleasant little girl temporarily moved in and I often heard her laughing and running down the hall. She was so full of joy. And another neighbour brought another little girl later on in for a short bit during the summer as well. And i’d hear her chatting as well.

Lo and behold the woman stopped shouting for a while.

Seems the presence of small children esp little girls may be essential for the mental health of elderly women. Seems they need grandchildren around or a reminder of them to remain happy or at least emotionally stable

Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?”

OP
OP
Joe

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Stay away from the "pleasant little girl" Creepy Yenta @Joe.
Actually @The Prowler 80% of the floor I live on are female. So no issue there.

Otherwise sometimes it becomes unbearable with that Old woman shouting often hours on end. Not sure but I think even the police visited her suite and asked if everything was OK with her. It was that bad.

Remarkable that an unarmed tiny 2 year old child was able to calm the old woman down and shut her up

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Actually @The Prowler 80% of the floor I live on are female. So no issue there.

Otherwise sometimes it becomes unbearable with that Old woman shouting often hours on end. Not sure but I think even the police visited her suite and asked if everything was OK with her. It was that bad.

Remarkable that an unarmed tiny 2 year old child was able to calm the old woman down and shut her up

It could be coincidental. You can't be sure what calmed her down. Maybe a social worker is helping her cope.

Your theory is sort of shaky.

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
I would like to think that a joyful child would help someone like this. Perhaps she took accountability of her own actions and did some self-reflection. Perhaps she was able to connect to her own inner child who needed love and connection.

I would like to think that people can change. If they show up as those people, we should let them.

OP
OP
Joe

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
It could be coincidental. You can't be sure what calmed her down. Maybe a social worker is helping her cope.

Your theory is sort of shaky.
What i think this points to is stuffing old people altogether in seniors care homes is wrong

A new model should perhaps be devised where daycare centers are located near or next to senior homes. The old people in them are often very miserable so young children might improve their spirits and mental health.

Little wonder the mood of grandmas improves when they see their grandchildren

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
What i think this points to is stuffing old people altogether in seniors care homes is wrong

A new model should perhaps be devised where daycare centers are located near or next to senior homes. The old people in them are often very miserable so young children might improve their spirits and mental health.

I dunno, Joe…

I enjoy visiting my friends’ parents homes in retirement communities. It’s so peaceful and quiet.

A

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

I see. I think there are programs where little children are able to go to nursing homes and sing and perform to entertain the elderly. It would be good if the families of these old people get family visits.

However, sometimes I wonder if some of these people were rotten parents/people. Their families might abandon them. It happens all the time.

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
I did this in glee club as a kid and also Girl Scouts. We went around to the local convalescent hospitals and performed for them.

I did this as community service as an adult as well. We would serve them ice cream sundays and play games. It was very fulfilling since a lot of them got no visitors and enjoyed the company.

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I did this in glee club as a kid and also Girl Scouts. We went around to the local convalescent hospitals and performed for them.

I did this as community service as an adult as well. We would serve them ice cream sundays and play games. It was very fulfilling since a lot of them got no visitors and enjoyed the company.
Yes. My daughter did this. She had one particular old lady that she loved dearly.

Old folks' homes are very rare here. I do not know of a single one. I know they exist in Lisbon and Porto, but in general old people here stay with the family or in the village in which they have lived their entire lives. The neighbors look after them when the kids are at work.

My next door neighbor was born in the house she lives in. She met her husband here in the village when they were little kids. I visit her a couple of times a week, as do several other people on the street. Her kids come by regularly. She's 89 and widowed.