Covid in a western country?

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Try rabies in the Phillipines

When lefty world travelers talk about global perspective.....is this part of that?

You know we are spoiled ass brats. Embrace it and be better.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I guess dogs ain't so nice in that part of the world eh @Dove y?

Yeah I was interested in getting thE rabies vaxx at some point.

It supposedly has cross protection immunity against other lethal diseases. HIV patients who got the rabies vaxx showed improvement as well.

OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
I guess dogs ain't so nice in that part of the world eh @Dove y?

Yeah I was interested in getting thE rabies vaxx at some point.

It supposedly has cross protection immunity against other lethal diseases. HIV patients who got the rabies vaxx showed improvement as well.

Joe we don't get rabies vaccines like animals do. We do have a series of therapeutic shots that you need to get ASAP if you ever get scratched or bit by an animal and you cannot confirm its rabies vaccine status.

One good rule to always follow.....if a wild animal does not run from you? Its sick....get the fuck away from it and call animal control.

If you get bit or scratched and you dont know? You get to the hospital right away and THATS when you get shots. Its uncomfortable. But it's better than rabies lol.

If you wait on that and you've been exposed and you start showing symptoms? You are going to suffer horribly. There is something called the Milwaukee treatment where they can put you in induced coma and support you medically while your body fights it. A couple people have survived rabies with this.

A nightmare though. Rabies is the scariest virus ever. And humans do not have a vaccine you can get to prevent it.....you just have to get treatment asap if there is any chance of exposure.

Just dont try to pet anything you dont know lol

People catch rabies and suffer too death like this because they do not have the resources we have. They cant even euthanize them. Sad....isnt it?

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Oh.

There's a vaccine clinic in my city that offers the rabies vaccine eh?

It's a 3 dose series intended for travellers to places like India or the Philippines @Dove y.

You can get bitten by monkeys in those places too

I know people who did.

OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Oh.

There's a vaccine clinic in my city that offers the rabies vaccine eh?

It's a 3 dose series intended for travellers to places like India or the Philippines @Dove y.

You can get bitten by monkeys in those places too

I know people who did.

Well perhaps but it's not a vaccine readily available to everyone.

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

You would still get a series after an exposure. I guess it's only given if you are likely to encounter rabies as an extra safety measure.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Meningitis is a growing problem for people who live in warmer climates including the US. If I lived in FL CA Hi or Texas I would inoculated against it.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Here's the price list of a vaccine clinic in Canada:

It's about $175 USD a dose.

Is that a different vaccine from the 1 you mentioned?

OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter

No. The thing is, these are for people traveling to areas where they are likely to get exposed to these diseases.

Unless you are going somewhere were people actually contract and die from rabies to work with animals? You arent going to get this vaccine. It's not something we give to all humans and you would still want the series after exposure.

It wouldnt make sense for you to just go get this shot.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

No. The thing is, these are for people traveling to areas where they are likely to get exposed to these diseases.

Unless you are going somewhere were people actually contract and die from rabies to work with animals? You arent going to get this vaccine. It's not something we give to all humans and you would still want the series after exposure.

But there's no harm in getting it, right?

OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter

But there's no harm in getting it, right?

There certainly can be. You dont want to go get vaccines that make no medical sense for you to take.

This is still a substance you are putting in your body. Does the benefit outweigh the risk for you? NOT if you are not directly involved with a job or an outreach or research that puts you in direct contact with animals.

Just use your common sense when it comes to rabies. Stay away from wild or stray animals you dont know. I'm not going to get a rabies shot....and I TNR feral cats.

If i got scratched or bit by a feral? I'd go get the series.

But there is no reason for you to get this vaccine. I'm not sure they'd allow you, Joe.

Are you concerned about catching rabies? The vaccine series for rabies is rough. They only give it if you've been exposed for a reason.

I personally think you need to discuss anxiety with someone.....before you go trying to turn yourself into a human pin cushion with every vaccine known to man, Joe. You CAN get yourself sick doing that.

OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Think about it in risk:benefit.

Unless you have a heightened chance of contracting rabies.....which you do not.....the risk of side effects and adverse events does not outweigh the benefit of SOME protection.

Either way if you do go petting a random racoon on your porch or in your yard that isnt running away from you...like a total dipshit....and you get scratched or bit, you STILL need to haul your dumb ass to an ER and get a bunch of shots.

Why would you entertain getting that?

And meningitis is a good one to have IF you are gonna be around groups of public people in a housing setting. Like a uni dorm. Or going into the military. Or nursing program.

Think about your level of risk of the disease first and see if getting protected from that disease outweighs the risk with vaccination.

OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Joe you were sore and miserable after the Covid shot.

You know beat the fuck up you would feel getting vaccines that arent really nessesary for the lifestyle you have?

If you are very concerned about diseases, have a titer done for the common ones we all get vaccinated for. That will tell you if you need boosters or not. Go do that.....its way more worth your while and more beneficial for your health than going and getting vaccines for shit you are not at all likely to be exposed to.