Dell computers are now low quality garbage.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
Just slightly over two years old and both the motherboard and could went bad. Fuck Dell computer because they make low quality shit.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
The Old stuff made or assembled inthe USA used to be good

Optiplex 250/280 desktop models were very stable.

dell-optiplex-gx280-desktop-p4-ht-28ghz-512mb-40gb-gebraucht.jpg

It was the only version of a Wintel PC that used to work just like a Mac imho.

Hardly ever crashed.

OP
OP
Oerdin

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
I can remember buying Dell in around 2002 and I eveb reused the case with a new motherboard and could when I decided to upgrade. Now? Everything they make is low quality.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
I can remember buying Dell in around 2002 and I eveb reused the case with a new motherboard and could when I decided to upgrade. Now? Everything they make is low quality.

That lso happened to Macs too.

Like the DElls, the old Apple computers that were assembled in the USA were of much higher quality.

Better quality control than when they offshored the maufacturing.

I've heard that the new Apple computeers and 10.15 are having problems lately.

So latest and greatest isn't always the best.

OP
OP
Oerdin

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
So it looks like I will be in the market for a new PC tower when my tax refund or stimulus check arrives.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
So it looks like I will be in the market for a new PC tower when my tax refund or stimulus check arrives.

I saw some YouTube Videos that say the best PC's these days for WinTel users are custom made.

Because they use better components than the cheaper brands, which cut corners and put the poor quality stuff in them

May cost you a bit more, but you'll end up with something that will last longer have better support.

And you specify which Operating Systems you want on them - ie Linux or older versions of Windows.

Maybe multiple ones if you want.

It takes time to shop around for the best model to get something you like.

Last edited:

Joe

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
Here's one YT video of a guy who claims you can custom build your own PC for ust $750:

If a person isn't familiar with building PC's , then they might consider just buying the components and paying an experienced/certified technician do it for them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oerdin

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard

I saw some YouTube Videos that say the best PC's these days for WinTel users are custom made.

Because they use better components than the cheaper brands, which cut corners and put the poor quality stuff in them

May cost you a bit more, but you'll end up with something that will last longer have better support.

And you specify which Operating Systems you want on them - ie Linux or older versions of Windows.

I used to do that in the 1990's. The truth is you can't build the same spec machine as a manufacturer without spending at least a third more plus the cost of software which the manufacturers bundle in for free.

RANCIDMILKO ™ ®©

Beaner coffee farmer
Site Supporter ☠️
The Old stuff made or assembled inthe USA used to be good

Optiplex 250/280 desktop models were very stable.

dell-optiplex-gx280-desktop-p4-ht-28ghz-512mb-40gb-gebraucht.jpg

It was the only version of a Wintel PC that used to work just like a Mac imho.

Hardly ever crashed.

LOL I have one of those here. Pentium 4, 1 gig of RAM

Fucker still works with XP.

RANCIDMILKO ™ ®©

Beaner coffee farmer
Site Supporter ☠️
Just slightly over two years old and both the motherboard and could went bad. Fuck Dell computer because they make low quality shit.
Yes. I remember around the early 2000's huge drop in their quality

Not only Dell, HP took a dive too.

They couldn't compete with Chinese garbage, so, they had to lower their standards.

Happened with a lot of companies.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard

I used to do that in the 1990's. The truth is you can't build the same spec machine as a manufacturer without spending at least a third more plus the cost of software which the manufacturers bundle in for free.

Here's one option you might consider:

The Mac Pro 5,1 from 2012.

They're still good to run OS X 10.15 (with graphics card upgrade) and they can certainly run Windows 7,8,10 and Linux...all on the same computer.

Has 6 dual cpu 12 core Xeons and room for 4 separate hard disk drives which can store OS X, Windows, Linux, Sun Solaris, whatever can be installed or run on Intel X86 architecture. You could potentially run all 4 operating systems simultaneously in different pop up windows using Parallels or VM Fusion ware in native speed. Since I'm not a Windows user, not sure about compatibility issues with various windows software, driver and peripherals tho.

While Apple said it won't be supporting Intel in the near future, I don't believe this is the case with either Linux or Windows.
So given the machine's decent horsepower, it could be around for quite a while yet.

Maybe at least 5 years on those platforms?

If running Mac OS X isn't really your objective, it might make a decent Wintel or Linux PC.

I bought a used 3.0 Ghz model last year for $1500 Canadian (about $1200 USD).
But if you live in the US, they could probably be had for quite a bit less.
I think they maxxed out at 3.46 ghz. But it's really hard to find them at that speed in Canada.

Best if you can find one that hasn't been doctored or from its original owner in the original box.
But those might be hard to come by. In Canada they are somewhat rare, and Apple didn't ship too many here.

However the States of course, you could probably find an abundance of them.

Possibly 1/2 the price of what I paid since there is more inventory in the States. Because Apple said it won't be supporting Intel in the near future maybe a lot of users will be dumping them as well - which should drop the prices more.

Even if you decide to get another Wintel PC, the Mac Pro might be a suitable temporary solution 'till you upgrade & go out to buy your new dream machine.

Last edited:

RANCIDMILKO ™ ®©

Beaner coffee farmer
Site Supporter ☠️
The problem with Apple is that, well, it's an Apple. I prefer PCs because they run everything

My build is 5 years old by now. i7 4790, 16 gigs, gtx 1070, mobo z97k

It runs beautifully, never had a problem.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
The problem with Apple is that, well, it's an Apple. I prefer PCs because they run everything

My build is 5 years old by now. i7 4790, 16 gigs, gtx 1070, mobo z97k

It runs beautifully, never had a problem.

Yeah, if you have a Native Windows Machine, you should have fewer compatibility problems than a Mac Pro.

The Intel Macs can run Windows, but I'm sure they're not perfect. because the hardware/parts are Apple specific.

They have Bootcamp which allows the user to start the computer and boot into windows tho.

OP
OP
Oerdin

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
The computer repair guy I took my old computer to be diagnosed said the Dell XPS I had is well known for having excessive heat problems as the case is too small, the fans are not large enough, and the case is so crowded air doesn't flow well. He should be two other similar Dell XPS towers brought into his shop which had the same issues.

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I havent bought a pre-built system since 95. I usually spend about $2K on a build every 4 years. Nothing ever goes bad because I overspend on shit thats guaranteed to last an eternity.

OP
OP
Oerdin

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
You can get a decent tower for $800 these days and a pretty darn good one for under $1200. The days of every computer you buy costs $2000 are long gone. Thankfully. I remember in the 1980's and early 1990's it seemed what ever my dad bought always seemed to cost $2000.