Has anyone here done a keto diet?

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
If so how did it go? Was it difficult? What were the benefits of it and how did you feel? Yesterday I had my annual doctor's checkup and they found my blood pressure (which used to be high) was now in the normal range but that my fasting blood sugar levels were almost into the "pre-diabetic" level. So I am doing research on diet and exercise regimes to see what I can pro-actively do about that and the keep diet seems to keep coming up.

My understanding is that it is a diet which is high in fat, moderate in protein, and very low in carbohydrates. That means things like grains, potatoes, and sugars are out as well as stuff like alcohol. Some people even recommend intermittent fasting for a day a week. I am all knew to this and looking for recommendations.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
I did very low carb with intermittent fasting.

Honestly I loved it. I had so much energy. There are a bunch of Keto apps you can get.....really it's a journey and you gotta find what works best for you.

But yeah cut all that sugar.

OP
OP
Oerdin

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I was out at Sprouts Farmers Market (an organic chain which competes with companies like Whole Foods) and was shocked at how high the prices are. Keep friendly low carb bread was $7.99 for a tiny half sized loaf. :/

I still bought but I am going to seek a lower priced option. Maybe Amazon Fresh or something?

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
I was out at Sprouts Farmers Market (an organic chain which competes with companies like Whole Foods) and was shocked at how high the prices are. Keep friendly low carb bread was $7.99 for a tiny half sized loaf. :/

I still bought but I am going to seek a lower priced option. Maybe Amazon Fresh or something?

You really do not need to buy any of that pricey specialty stuff.....you can just get low carb recipes.

It got pretty trendy a while ago and that's when a lot of over priced bullshit products will hit the shelves.....especailly in stores like Whole Foods.

I did it for nearly 2 years and never set foot in a Whole Foods. And like Prowler said....you can make low carb bread. I made some called Cloud Bread....it was meh lol

But again it's about what works for you. I can stop with sugary stuff no problem. I've always had a pretty healthy diet.....so giving up things like creamer wasnt hard for me. I had no need for pricey replacement stuff.

OP
OP
Oerdin

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Dinner tonight was grilled boneless chicken breast with veggies.

Admin.

I aim to be smugly pedantic, or vice verse.
Site Supporter ☠️
I have. It’s a whole lifestyle change. Very hard to maintain, IMO. I lost a good amount of weight tho
A couple years ago, when the Keto "fad" hit I had a lot of friends and a couple relatives jump on board and like Countess said most of them were excitedly reporting fast weight losses initially, lots of chatter about recipes etc...after a few months....the posts about Keto, just petered out.

My take, it might be a nice way to kick start weight loss, but at the end of the day it comes down to eating sensibly, remember the food pyramid? and not too much fatty or sugary foods or treats, and exercise.

Moonpie

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

One of my fav places here. I hate the low carb bread it’s awful I rather go without it.

On TikTok there are so many killer recipes and once you’re used to it, it didn’t feel like dieting at all.

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Doesn't have to be keto. Avoid carbs and sugars. Exercise is very important. Eat 80% plant-based foods. Fasting one day a week is always good. But hard to do. 16 hour fasts are also good. The body needs time to digest food thoroughly.

Wootie

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
If so how did it go? Was it difficult? What were the benefits of it and how did you feel? Yesterday I had my annual doctor's checkup and they found my blood pressure (which used to be high) was now in the normal range but that my fasting blood sugar levels were almost into the "pre-diabetic" level. So I am doing research on diet and exercise regimes to see what I can pro-actively do about that and the keep diet seems to keep coming up.

My understanding is that it is a diet which is high in fat, moderate in protein, and very low in carbohydrates. That means things like grains, potatoes, and sugars are out as well as stuff like alcohol. Some people even recommend intermittent fasting for a day a week. I am all knew to this and looking for recommendations.

I know a thing or two about weight loss and getting healthier.

In March of 2019, I weighed 405lbs, I weighed myself this morning (it's currently just past 10 a.m, I got on the scale at 7 a.m) and I currently weigh 285lbs.

That's a loss of 120lbs in just under 2 and a half years all on a 100% plant-based diet with intermittent fasting.

You don't need KETO, you really don't have to avoid carbs, but I'd stay far away from refined sugar and animal products.

B12 is the only thing you'll need to take a supplement for if you're eating a varied diet and making sure you're going after optimal sources of omega-3s, iron, calcium, and vitamin D. That just means checking to see if the food you're getting is a good source every once in a while and having blood work done every now and again is never a bad thing.

Good luck, you can do it.

Last edited:

Moonpie

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

In March of 2019, I weighed 405lbs, I weighed myself this morning (it's currently just past 10 a.m, I got on the scale at 7 a.m) and I currently weigh 285lbs.

That's a loss of 120lbs in just under 2 and a half years all on a 100% plant-based diet with intermittent fasting.

You don't need KETO, you really don't have to avoid carbs, but I'd stay far away from refined sugar and animal products.

B12 is the only thing you'll need to take a supplement for if you're eating a varied diet and making sure you're going after optimal sources of omega-3s, iron, calcium, and vitamin D. That just means checking to see if the food you're getting is a good source every once in a while and having blood work done every now and again is never a bad thing.

Wow amazing congratulations on your journey

Moonpie

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Doesn't have to be keto. Avoid carbs and sugars. Exercise is very important. Eat 80% plant-based foods. Fasting one day a week is always good. But hard to do. 16 hour fasts are also good. The body needs time to digest food thoroughly.
Yep the intermediate fasting helps so much!

great advice

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter
Have you tried sticking a hose up your bum and turning on the tap?

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter
Smoking meth and not eating is literally a keto diet

Smoking meth is its own type of diet, and has its own ending
Tom Carol was a shocker for me. Andy Irons another. I’ve never tried it. My philosophy in life with drugs, is that any drug that makes you feel too good, will try kill you in the end. Smoking herb is my only vice. And then, that’s only what I personally grow.

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
When I was in Mexico 2 years ago, I looked into this Peyote tour. It was only held on full moons, its was also an all nighter. Funny, two older gals from SF went for it. Never got to talk to then after. NEXT TIME.

Wootie

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Wow amazing congratulations on your journey

Thanks a bunch, Moonie!

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

I would suggest limiting your carb consumption overall. When you do eat carbs, make sure they're whole grain. I don't eat bread, pasta, or most potatoes. I eat protein, fat, vegetables and low glycemic index fruit, mostly berries. I also eat nuts and legumes. Good luck!