Huge blizzard in CA mountains

OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
The longest traffic jam I've been stuck in was caused by black ice; a logging truck hit a patch and dumped a bunch of big-ass ex-trees across the entire road when it lost it. Just to make it extra magical I was headed home after a 12-hour shift, too. *sigh*

How long did it take to get home? One time we got stuck behind a huge wreck by a semi in a mountain pass. A trip to see grandma went from 2 1/2 hours to like 8...it felt like forever.

Garraty_47

Mutants Rule!
Site Supporter
How long did it take to get home? One time we got stuck behind a huge wreck by a semi in a mountain pass. A trip to see grandma went from 2 1/2 hours to like 8...it felt like forever.

A normally 30-ish minute drive turned into several hours at least; not sure exactly how many- I was too tired and disgusted to keep track.

Good thing I hadn't stopped at the grocery store first. LoL

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
As pretty as that is the fact still remains that I'd have to have my driveway cleared. Snow is my rival.

I had a neighbor who brought out his bobcat and did all of our driveways… plus a then husband and son who did the sidewalks and the rest of the driveway and then salted.

I don’t miss sliding around in my car avoiding telephone poles. We were on a large hill and the property was 2 acres…. So the driveway was long and dangerous.

I do miss sledding in my yard with the neighbors who we invited over.

Alticus

Mr. Excitement
Site Supporter ☠️
Get better boots with Vibram soles. Don't ask me what because I need to find myself some better winter boots. LOL
Hi Scooter. :) Hope your holidays are going well. Thanks for the tip. I'll probably just end up buying spray for them though.

Alticus

Mr. Excitement
Site Supporter ☠️
I had a neighbor who brought out his bobcat and did all of our driveways… plus a then husband and son who did the sidewalks and the rest of the driveway and then salted.

I don’t miss sliding around in my car avoiding telephone poles. We were on a large hill and the property was 2 acres…. So the driveway was long and dangerous.

Nice neighbor. Maybe I should move next door to you. Anything available?

OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

I gotta say, I like going to the snow and then leaving it when I'm done. One of my fondest memories was spending Christmas up in the Sierras. We enjoyed the snow for the holiday and came home to regular weather.

Alticus

Mr. Excitement
Site Supporter ☠️
You know though? Almost every place with that climate is expensive.
Yep. I don't doubt it one bit. If I had the money I'd move to a place like those. 47 years of cold winters is enough for me.

OP
OP
Lily

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Yep. I don't doubt it one bit. If I had the money I'd move to a place like those. 47 years of cold winters is enough for me.

I'm sure it takes a toll.

I have to admit, I'm a weather wimp. I can't stand too hot or too cold. When you grow up where the average temp is 68 degrees, it makes you intolerant of temp extremes.

Alticus

Mr. Excitement
Site Supporter ☠️
I'm sure it takes a toll.

I have to admit, I'm a weather wimp. I can't stand too hot or too cold. When you grow up where the average temp is 68 degrees, it makes you intolerant of temp extremes.
Yeah, as much as I hate winter I also hate the days in the summer when it's extremely muggy. We get days like that in the summer from time to time. I guess that I'm just hard to please. lol

Alticus

Mr. Excitement
Site Supporter ☠️
Timberland boots, they're not as expensive as they once were but the quality hasn't dropped, same with Rockport if you can get them or Berghaus...
Thanks for this. They seem worth looking into, but as I said to Scooter I may just buy spray for my DM though.

Alticus

Mr. Excitement
Site Supporter ☠️
Never heard of sprays but I'm not into boots all that much, I just get what looks good in the camping store for dog walking and Orvis/Simms for wading boots...
We have sprays here at Walmart that waterproof footwear and stuff. A little extra protection is always nice.

Scooter

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
A normally 30-ish minute drive turned into several hours at least; not sure exactly how many- I was too tired and disgusted to keep track.

Good thing I hadn't stopped at the grocery store first. LoL
My buddy and I were coming home from Baltimore one night when the weather changed to freezing rain and I-83 turned into a parking lot. We managed to get off at an exit in Maryland and find our way into Pennsylvania. Almost home and the side roads were passable and then traffic got backed up. Again. I got out of the car because I needed to smoke a cigarette, walked up the road a ways and there was a tractor trailer stuck on the hill. Jesus fucking Christ. Eventually, cars started going around it and we made our way home.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
It is kind of a bad sign that it is raining in high elevations instead of snowing.