Is living in Florida expensive because all the houses and condos keep disappearing down sinkholes?

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
A friend of mine is currently house shopping in the San Carlos to Burlingame area and prices are unreal. He got pre-approved for $3.7 million in a loan yet pickings are slim at that price and we aren't even talking about very nice homes. I told him he could do much better buying in Granite Bay (greater Sacramento area) since he can work from home four days a week but he is a typical bay area snob and claims only losers would live there.

Thing is @Oerdin, how are people gonna be able to afford those mortgages & pay back those loans? Same thing is happening in Canada too. For a while after the 2008 financial crisis the banks here required 25% down. But now that things are hopping in the real estate market it's as low as 4%. And just like California they're plunking down these tiny down payments on million dollar mortgages for 1 br condos in Vancouver.

I kinda think they're setting themselves up for another financial crisis and another crash. Kinda like the Japanese real estate bust of the 1990s. All this speculation is built on debt but it's not in just 1 market. It's everywhere right now. The whole world. And they're throwing good money after bad. Even shitty stuff is going for a tidy sum.

So unless someone intends to hoard it & keep it all to themselves I don't see how this situation can continue. I remember in the 1970s something similar happened but it also resulted in a huge bust around 1982. There was a massive crescendo of activity, double digit inflation/interest rates. There was a lotta house flipping too. But eventually greed got the better of many investors, somebody got holding the bag. And people ened up walking away from their homes with others willing to pick them up for $1 in the 1980s. Foreclosure became common.

What do you think where it's headed?

How long will or can this last?

There will definitely be another financial crisis, and this one will be worse. But there will be even more billionaires, and they will all be happy, so they don't give a fuck.

The banks don't seem to care.

They 'chide' consumers for borrowing 'too much', but then turn around with a smirk by lowering borrowing requirements & providing them with more easy credit so they can drive themselves into debt even more. So I think their big prize is real estate cuz the higher the home prices, the more debt consumers will take on which means more business and revenues for the bank. And like you say if it all goes to shit, the banks and wall Street ask the guv to bail them out which they do.

And all those houses are owned by the banks anyway but they let the would be buyer get a taste of 'home ownership' for a while until they can't afford to make the payments at which point the bank will just repossess the assets they owned anyways.

It's all in the plan they know what they're doing. Of course it's the consumer whom the banks claim they have the best interests who get screwed.

It's a game to them. They do not care about people's lives at all. They care about enriching themselves, and the destruction they cause is meaningless.

You sure are quick to smear whole groups and claim you know the motivations of people you have never met. This is even more low IQ than normal out of you.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
I've gotten like 3 job offers in FL with an impressive starting pay.

It's kind of depressing because I kinda really wanna go lol.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
A friend of mine is currently house shopping in the San Carlos to Burlingame area and prices are unreal. He got pre-approved for $3.7 million in a loan yet pickings are slim at that price and we aren't even talking about very nice homes. I told him he could do much better buying in Granite Bay (greater Sacramento area) since he can work from home four days a week but he is a typical bay area snob and claims only losers would live there.

Thing is @Oerdin, how are people gonna be able to afford those mortgages & pay back those loans? Same thing is happening in Canada too. For a while after the 2008 financial crisis the banks here required 25% down. But now that things are hopping in the real estate market it's as low as 4%. And just like California they're plunking down these tiny down payments on million dollar mortgages for 1 br condos in Vancouver.

I kinda think they're setting themselves up for another financial crisis and another crash. Kinda like the Japanese real estate bust of the 1990s. All this speculation is built on debt but it's not in just 1 market. It's everywhere right now. The whole world. And they're throwing good money after bad. Even shitty stuff is going for a tidy sum.

So unless someone intends to hoard it & keep it all to themselves I don't see how this situation can continue. I remember in the 1970s something similar happened but it also resulted in a huge bust around 1982. There was a massive crescendo of activity, double digit inflation/interest rates. There was a lotta house flipping too. But eventually greed got the better of many investors, somebody got holding the bag. And people ened up walking away from their homes with others willing to pick them up for $1 in the 1980s. Foreclosure became common.

What do you think where it's headed?

How long will or can this last?

There will definitely be another financial crisis, and this one will be worse. But there will be even more billionaires, and they will all be happy, so they don't give a fuck.

The banks don't seem to care.

They 'chide' consumers for borrowing 'too much', but then turn around with a smirk by lowering borrowing requirements & providing them with more easy credit so they can drive themselves into debt even more. So I think their big prize is real estate cuz the higher the home prices, the more debt consumers will take on which means more business and revenues for the bank. And like you say if it all goes to shit, the banks and wall Street ask the guv to bail them out which they do.

And all those houses are owned by the banks anyway but they let the would be buyer get a taste of 'home ownership' for a while until they can't afford to make the payments at which point the bank will just repossess the assets they owned anyways.

It's all in the plan they know what they're doing. Of course it's the consumer whom the banks claim they have the best interests who get screwed.

It's a game to them. They do not care about people's lives at all. They care about enriching themselves, and the destruction they cause is meaningless.

You sure are quick to smear whole groups and claim you know the motivations of people you have never met. This is even more low IQ than normal out of you.

I dont think Lotus is dumb. I do think her bias betrays her intelligence though. And a nature I think is a generally good one.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
At her age she should know better and have less of a child like view of the real world.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Why don't you go @Dove y!?!

You should Go!

Get some sunshine.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
At her age she should know better and have less of a child like view of the real world.

I definately think that people who go progressive in their youth and stay kinda in that bubble it really cheats them out of perspective.

The left really is very cultish. When I was search to find where I stood.....I got much more powerful and judgemental responses to my points and questions from the left. And theyll cut you out. Withdraw from you.

It's not something I ever experienced from the right or the center. When you start questioning a right winger or libertarian(who are now right wingers).....theyll answer you and go into why. It's rare to challange or question a right winger and get attacked off the rip.

A lot of people have noticed this... .its not just me.

It's interesting that questioning or challenging their opinions registers as "judgement" to them. Theyll literally accuse you of being "judgemental"....all while harshly judging you for questioning them.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter

You should Go!

Get some sunshine.

I've brought it up to my husband a few times. He is sometimes really down for it.

It's his mother who would throw a fit. She really would. And she doesnt need to. Shes a VERY successful Michigan woman who is approaching retirement. She could have retired 10 years ago but she cant stand the thought of not working. Her and husband pretty work now just to still have something to do.

I told her it's time for her as a successful Michigan grandma to start looking for a "winter home" in like....Cocoa Beach FL or anywhere in Florida...and start migrating down there for the winter every year with all the other snow birds.

I remind her often how bad winter sucks here for older people. How Michigan is "purple" which is still too blue.

And she stubbornly remains in the tri country area in an expensive county and hates that we moved so far away even though she actually sees her son and grandchildren more than she did when lived closer.

So shes kinda successfully blocking that when she SHOULD be doing the same AT LEAST for the winters.

I almost bribed her that if she agreed to move to FL that husband and I would get a house in walking distance. BUT.....I dont want to have to kill myself if she says "OMG yeah! I'll pay your down payment let's go!". Lol.

I love my mother in law but she can be very....intense. I'm sure that's obvious in the fact that shes the reason we havent just left the state yet.

Last edited:

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

You should Go!

Get some sunshine.

I've brought it up to my husband a few times. He is sometimes really down for it.

It's his mother who would throw a fit. She really would. And she doesnt need to. Shes a VERY successful Michigan woman who is approaching retirement. She could have retired 10 years ago but she cant stand the thought of not working. Her and husband pretty work now just to still have something to do.

I told her it's time for her as a successful Michigan grandma to start looking for a "winter home" in like....Cocoa Beach FL or anywhere in Florida...and start migrating down there for the winter every year with all the other snow birds.

I remind her often how bad winter sucks here for older people. How Michigan is "purple" which is still too blue.

And she stubbornly remains in the tri country area in an expensive county and hates that we moved so far away even though she actually sees her son and grandchildren more than she did when lived closer.

So shes kinda successfully blocking that when she SHOULD be doing the same AT LEAST for the wingers.

I almost bribed her that if she agreed to move to FL that husband and I would get a house in walking distance. BUT.....I dont want to have to kill myself if she says "OMG yeah! I'll pay your down payment let's go!". Lol.

I love my mother in law but she can be very....intense. I'm sure that's obvious in the fact that shes the reason we havent just left the state yet.

I guess a Lotta people left various states to escape the Pandemic for healthier climes like Florida?

I heard from someone that a Lotta Brits left the UK to escape the Pandemic there and haven't gone back. Ie - to Peru or Ecuador because it wasn't hit as hard by COVID. Healthier eh. Britain doesn't seem like such a healthy place these days.

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter
I hate houses. They're overpriced, speculative, and they trap you in location.

We've evolved so much as a species yet have this compulsion to build what amounts to fancy cardboard boxes that don't stand the test of time and require substantial funds and commitment.

Better to buy good land at different locations and plop a nice caravan and barn on each. Move back and forth for the seasons.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

You should Go!

Get some sunshine.

So shes kinda successfully blocking that when she SHOULD be doing the same AT LEAST for the wingers.

I guess a Lotta people left various states to escape the Pandemic for healthier climes like Florida?

I heard from someone that a Lotta Brits left the UK to escape the Pandemic there and haven't gone back. Ie - to Peru or Ecuador because it wasn't hit as hard by COVID. Healthier eh. Britain doesn't seem like such a healthy place these days.

Yep, a lot of people moved south to places like Florida. Which makes the lies and fear monger leftist idiots like aidsman told to try to smear Florida about covid all the more laughable. As Florida did so much better than the idiotic leftist states.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter

You should Go!

Get some sunshine.

That's and the fact there is no tax and you just get more for your money.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

We've evolved so much as a species yet have this compulsion to build what amounts to fancy cardboard boxes that don't stand the test of time and require substantial funds and commitment.

Better to buy good land at different locations and plop a nice caravan and barn on each. Move back and forth for the seasons.

I am the exact opposite. I always want to know I have a firm home base, a home, a place where I belong. I like investing in realestate because as they said in gone with the wind "land is the only thing that lasts". God got out of the land making business a long time ago and there is a finite amount of it while demand for it is ever growing so it's value goes up over time. At least generally speaking.

It is the place I was born, it is where I am from, it is were generations of my family lived, worked, laugh, cried, and eventually died. It is where my family lived and where I hope my children will also live.

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter

I am the exact opposite. I always want to know I have a firm home base, a home, a place where I belong. I like investing in realestate because as they said in gone with the wind "land is the only thing that lasts". God got out of the land making business a long time ago and there is a finite amount of it while demand for it is ever growing so it's value goes up over time. At least generally speaking.

I like land too.... good clean earth that can grow stuff. That's what I'm saying. Own land...

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter

I totally understand why people want a traditional stick built house.

I've literally NEVER had the desire to buy a house. I used to think I wanted to buy a house....but when I start seriously thinking about it or taking steps to do it.....I just feel overwhelmed. And I start nitpicking the house.

I love the older farm houses that have land. I dont know what it is but I love the dreaded trailors. If I didnt have my mother to think about? We would love to do the schoolie thing. Those converted school buses are perfect.

Or a Yurt cabin. I love those.

What I do know for certain is that I dont want to live in any cities or suburbs.

I know there are a lot of cons to this sort of lifestyle when you get to be old but honestly....i dont care lol.

Last edited:

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter

I totally understand why people want a traditional stick built house.

I've literally NEVER had the desire to buy a house. I used to think I wanted to buy a house....but when I start seriously thinking about it or taking steps to do it.....I just feel overwhelmed. And I start nitpicking the house.

I love the older farm houses that have land. I dont know what it is but I love the dreaded trailors. If I didnt have my mother to think about? We would love to do the schoolie thing. Those converted school buses are perfect.

Or a Yurt cabin. I love those.

What I do know for certain is that I dont want to live in any cities or suburbs.

I know there are a lot of cons to this sort of lifestyle when you get to be old but honestly....i dont care lol.
Go spend some time with your children…we all know that they need better parenting you forum whore you! @Biggie Smiles wants another pair of your daughter’s panties by the by!
:LOL3: