Living with Long Haul Covid, a recent update.

Admin.

The Goat
Site Supporter ☠️
It's been an extremely eventful couple of weeks. So this post is going to be long. I thought about doing it in two posts, but everything is interconnected. So you're getting the whole thing in one big post. Here we go:
About 10 days ago, my appointment to be screened for the Med School Covid Program finally arrived. And I've been accepted into the program! I will soon begin working with a couple of their recovery programs, including Physical Therapy (to help minimize fatigue and regain strength, energy, balance and coordination lost to Covid19) and Cognitive Reprogramming (to assist with minimizing the brain fog, memory loss and changes in my sense of smell that still afflict me).
They also encouraged me to change my PCP to someone in the Med School Internal Medicine department. THANK GOODNESS ... because the PCP I was assigned by my current clinic when my beloved PCP changed her specialty and could no longer be my PCP, is not a good fit. She does not believe Long-COVID is a thing, and instead of viewing all my symptoms as manifestations of one illness, was attempting to treat each one individually with various medications. It was ridiculous! Like putting Clearasil on chickenpox. I was very worried her gaslighting could cause me to lose my Long Term Disability. I'm grateful that I can let that worry go!
All of this has made me feel hopeful for the first time in a very long time.
In other news, last week my Mom turned 88. On that same day, I moved her into an apartment in a beautiful Assisted Living location. Her needs have increased at the same time my ability to provide additional assistance has decreased. I struggle most days just to take care of myself. And in her effort to avoid adding to my load, Mom has not been asking for the help she really needed. So back in November, we both agreed she should move to an assisted living facility sometime soon. I visited and called multiple places in the Portland area, and found her a spot in what seems to be a very excellent place. Still, this was tough to do ... for both of us. But it was certainly time.
That was on Thursday the 27th. That night, I was so exhausted, I could barely move. And that evening I noticed that my sense of smell was 100% gone. Gone. Until I physically pushed myself to the limit, my sense of smell had been coming back pretty well, with only one category of scents still missing or muted. But Thursday, it was all gone. It is coming back, but it's not back to where it was before the move. In addition to missing scents, I'm experiencing a lot of phantom smells. And I've been sleeping 12-15 hrs a night ever since Thursday.
I swear, people, this Long-COVID has messed me up in multiple ways. And they don't know yet if Omicron will result in Long-COVID. If you haven't already had a version of COVID, I hope you can remain COVID-free. And if you've had COVID, keep track of your lingering symptoms. You'll need that info if you need to apply for Social Security Disability or Long Term Disability down the road.
Take care of each other, my friends!

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Damn that's a lot.

When did you get Covid? Pretty much all the long haul covid I've heard of is from that initial "first impact" of Covid. How long have you been going through that?

How the hell could your DOCTOR think long haul Covid doesnt exist? Good thing you are able to switch. Nothing is worse that being stuck with a doctor you are not comfortable and confident with who isnt taking your health seriously. I went through similar with a urologist who literally thought I just wanted drugs so she was blowing off my complaints about pain in my flank. After I was able to see another urologist, he found the source of the pain and handled it with a surgery(I had stone shards lodged into the surgical site from a tube i had through my back into my kidney). It really does feel like gaslighting when doctors dont listen. It's very stressful.

Assisted living home is awesome for your mother. She can socialize with other people her age and be in an environment specifically made for seniors. I worked in an assisted living facility and I loved it. I did work on hospice and advanced dementia so it was a bit more intense. I get it's hard but its definately the best for her at her age. I would get a nanny cam to put in her room just for extra security. Sometimes even really good places can have an abusive CNA, and if you have video footage you can get those sorts out of the medical feild. Not trying to add another worry on....I just know that does happen to people and it's horrible so I tell everyone to get a nanny cam in their loved ones room and dont tell ANY staff its there.

Its sweet your mom was trying to give you a break. I could be half dead with a spear through me and my mother would wake me up to fill her water lol. Not even being dramatic. My mother is like a spoiled child. Shes way too young to go into an assisted living home and she would probably never follow and rules anyway. I have to take her to a new doctor on thursday and and from there she needs a reference to a neuro doctor.

I did have Covid. It was last year and it wasnt bad. I had two days where I felt very sick. Mostly I couldnt taste anything. That went on for a week. I still got vaccinated for the extra protection. I have who has long Covid. At the hospital my husband works for the doctors call it post Covid syndrome.

OP
OP
Admin.

Admin.

The Goat
Site Supporter ☠️
Damn that's a lot.

When did you get Covid? Pretty much all the long haul covid I've heard of is from that initial "first impact" of Covid. How long have you been going through that?

How the hell could your DOCTOR think long haul Covid doesnt exist? Good thing you are able to switch. Nothing is worse that being stuck with a doctor you are not comfortable and confident with who isnt taking your health seriously. I went through similar with a urologist who literally thought I just wanted drugs so she was blowing off my complaints about pain in my flank. After I was able to see another urologist, he found the source of the pain and handled it with a surgery(I had stone shards lodged into the surgical site from a tube i had through my back into my kidney). It really does feel like gaslighting when doctors dont listen. It's very stressful.

Assisted living home is awesome for your mother. She can socialize with other people her age and be in an environment specifically made for seniors. I worked in an assisted living facility and I loved it. I did work on hospice and advanced dementia so it was a bit more intense. I get it's hard but its definately the best for her at her age. I would get a nanny cam to put in her room just for extra security. Sometimes even really good places can have an abusive CNA, and if you have video footage you can get those sorts out of the medical feild. Not trying to add another worry on....I just know that does happen to people and it's horrible so I tell everyone to get a nanny cam in their loved ones room and dont tell ANY staff its there.

Its sweet your mom was trying to give you a break. I could be half dead with a spear through me and my mother would wake me up to fill her water lol. Not even being dramatic. My mother is like a spoiled child. Shes way too young to go into an assisted living home and she would probably never follow and rules anyway. I have to take her to a new doctor on thursday and and from there she needs a reference to a neuro doctor.

I did have Covid. It was last year and it wasnt bad. I had two days where I felt very sick. Mostly I couldnt taste anything. That went on for a week. I still got vaccinated for the extra protection. I have who has long Covid. At the hospital my husband works for the doctors call it post Covid syndrome.
Not my personal update, my cousin who I have mentioned as being a long hauler a few times.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Damn that's a lot.

Not my personal update, my cousin who I have mentioned as being a long hauler a few times.

I was wondering if that was you or someone else you were sharing on. I dont recall you saying you had Covid.

How long has that been going on? Did he get it from when it first hit? All the long haulers I know are people who caught it that first year.

I havent heard of any post covid syndrome from people who caught the variants. Like Delta. I haven't really looked it up either.

Did he get it the first year? Or is it from a variant?

Some people really are going through it with that long haul shit. There are patients in the hospital right now who are in there because of issues from post covid long haul hell.

OP
OP
Admin.

Admin.

The Goat
Site Supporter ☠️
Damn that's a lot.

I was wondering if that was you or someone else you were sharing on. I dont recall you saying you had Covid.

How long has that been going on? Did he get it from when it first hit? All the long haulers I know are people who caught it that first year.

I havent heard of any post covid syndrome from people who caught the variants. Like Delta. I haven't really looked it up either.

She has been in a long haul for close to 2 years now, she caught covid early on, was very sick like a bad flu, but not hospitalized....

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Damn that's a lot.

She has been in a long haul for close to 2 years now, she caught covid early on, was very sick like a bad flu, but not hospitalized....

Yeah everyone I've heard of and know of who has that all got it from covid they caught in that first year. It doesnt seem to matter how severe their illness was. Some people just keep suffering symptoms.

Me and my husband were just talking about this and how weird it is. It's still not really known why and there are no solid predictors to know who is likely to have long Covid or why.

I know there are studies on it but it's mostly people who are at high risk of severe Covid.

That's a long time to be suffering symptoms that severe. I hope that Covid program is able to get some relief.

Biggie Smiles

I make libturds berry angry. I do!!!
Site Supporter
It's been an extremely eventful couple of weeks. So this post is going to be long. I thought about doing it in two posts, but everything is interconnected. So you're getting the whole thing in one big post. Here we go:
About 10 days ago, my appointment to be screened for the Med School Covid Program finally arrived. And I've been accepted into the program! I will soon begin working with a couple of their recovery programs, including Physical Therapy (to help minimize fatigue and regain strength, energy, balance and coordination lost to Covid19) and Cognitive Reprogramming (to assist with minimizing the brain fog, memory loss and changes in my sense of smell that still afflict me).
They also encouraged me to change my PCP to someone in the Med School Internal Medicine department. THANK GOODNESS ... because the PCP I was assigned by my current clinic when my beloved PCP changed her specialty and could no longer be my PCP, is not a good fit. She does not believe Long-COVID is a thing, and instead of viewing all my symptoms as manifestations of one illness, was attempting to treat each one individually with various medications. It was ridiculous! Like putting Clearasil on chickenpox. I was very worried her gaslighting could cause me to lose my Long Term Disability. I'm grateful that I can let that worry go!
All of this has made me feel hopeful for the first time in a very long time.
In other news, last week my Mom turned 88. On that same day, I moved her into an apartment in a beautiful Assisted Living location. Her needs have increased at the same time my ability to provide additional assistance has decreased. I struggle most days just to take care of myself. And in her effort to avoid adding to my load, Mom has not been asking for the help she really needed. So back in November, we both agreed she should move to an assisted living facility sometime soon. I visited and called multiple places in the Portland area, and found her a spot in what seems to be a very excellent place. Still, this was tough to do ... for both of us. But it was certainly time.
That was on Thursday the 27th. That night, I was so exhausted, I could barely move. And that evening I noticed that my sense of smell was 100% gone. Gone. Until I physically pushed myself to the limit, my sense of smell had been coming back pretty well, with only one category of scents still missing or muted. But Thursday, it was all gone. It is coming back, but it's not back to where it was before the move. In addition to missing scents, I'm experiencing a lot of phantom smells. And I've been sleeping 12-15 hrs a night ever since Thursday.
I swear, people, this Long-COVID has messed me up in multiple ways. And they don't know yet if Omicron will result in Long-COVID. If you haven't already had a version of COVID, I hope you can remain COVID-free. And if you've had COVID, keep track of your lingering symptoms. You'll need that info if you need to apply for Social Security Disability or Long Term Disability down the road.
Take care of each other, my friends!
Too long; don't care

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Damn that's a lot.

I hardly go out anymore.

Everywhere I go I double mask.

I could go anywhere I want since I got the double vax & got the pass. But I choose not to. And all these people who are getting so fucking mad because they feel deprived...its not safe to go out right now. People should stay away from crowds, indoor theatres & sporting events. They're so naive & unaware.

So many double and triple vaxxed people I know are coming down with COVID.

Last edited:

The Prowler

Factory Bastard

Did she get jabbed after getting the 'vid?
TBH, I'm not sure. I do know for a fact she is 100% pro vaccine, since she is in the Sciences.

I wonder if there are studies on "long covid" linking it specifically to people who have also received the vaccine.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Damn that's a lot.

I hardly go out anymore.

I could go anywhere I want since I got the double vax & got the pass. But I choose not to. And all these people who are getting so fucking mad because they feel deprived...its not safe to go out right now. People should stay away from crowds, indoor theatres & sporting events. They're so naive & unaware.

Joe can you get into some counseling?

It just sounds like you have a lot of fear and anxiety over Covid and that's not healthy. Please limit the amount of media you consume.

The virus is definately weaker. Common sense precautions is good enough and you've been vaccinated. The vaccine WILL prevent you from a severe case or death from Covid.

We gotta live our lives.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Long covid tends to mostly effect obese people or so I have heard. Obesity seems to be very over represented in long covid numbers. Body fat seems to play a big part in the cytokine storm according to a lot of research studies as the fat acts as a reservoir supposedly making it worse. I am not an expert but that is what q lot of doctors have said. I am sure the research is on going though.

I am slightly over weight, maybe 20 pounds, but am active, walk and jog regularly, walk my dog daily, play with the kids, etc... I also try to eat healthy (for the last two weeks I try to be vegetarian four days a week) and take vitamins daily. I am triple vaxxed but caught omicron anyway though everyone is the house was over it and recovered in about two days. It was very mild and much like a flu. I hope it is the same for other people because pretty much everyone is going to get it sooner or later.

OP
OP
Admin.

Admin.

The Goat
Site Supporter ☠️
Long covid tends to mostly effect obese people or so I have heard. Obesity seems to be very over represented in long covid numbers. Body fat seems to play a big part in the cytokine storm according to a lot of research studies as the fat acts as a reservoir supposedly making it worse. I am not an expert but that is what q lot of doctors have said. I am sure the research is on going though.

I am slightly over weight, maybe 20 pounds, but am active, walk and jog regularly, walk my dog daily, play with the kids, etc... I also try to eat healthy (for the last two weeks I try to be vegetarian four days a week) and take vitamins daily. I am triple vaxxed but caught omicron anyway though everyone is the house was over it and recovered in about two days. It was very mild and much like a flu. I hope it is the same for other people because pretty much everyone is going to get it sooner or later.
My Cousin is not "obese". she could maybe lose about 10 pounds, but she is hardly fat.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I didn't say all just that obesity is very highly represented. There also seems to be different kinds of long covid. Pre-omicron lung damage sometimes happened in extreme cases (close to death) but omicron seems to stay in the upper respiratory track instead of deep in the lungs like the previous strains. So that is one type of long covid. Another is supposedly the damage done to organs by the cytokine storm. Finally, there is the damage done by spike proteins which can cause things like lingering myocardititus.

There maybe more, again, I am only relaying on what I have read and heard by watching interviews with experts.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

I bet I could devise a diet that'd lose ya 20 lbs. but still provide you with adequate nutritional intake. No drugs, no diet pills. Completely natural. secret is to flush the fat outta yer body first & the weight loss will follow. May take 3 months for the results ta show but eventually they will @Oerdin

Last edited:

Jeannie

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
i never suffered any of these long-term after-effects so i was either misdiagnosed or i just got lucky

OP
OP
Admin.

Admin.

The Goat
Site Supporter ☠️
I didn't say all just that obesity is very highly represented. There also seems to be different kinds of long covid. Pre-omicron lung damage sometimes happened in extreme cases (close to death) but omicron seems to stay in the upper respiratory track instead of deep in the lungs like the previous strains. So that is one type of long covid. Another is supposedly the damage done to organs by the cytokine storm. Finally, there is the damage done by spike proteins which can cause things like lingering myocardititus.

There maybe more, again, I am only relaying on what I have read and heard by watching interviews with experts.
I'll call your "experts" and raise you one bright af and highly educated family member.

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
I bet I could devise a diet that'd lose ya 20 lbs. but still provide you with adequate nutritional intake. No drugs, no diet pills. Completely natural. secret is to flush the fat outta yer body first & the weight loss will follow. May take 3 months for the results ta show but eventually they will @Oerdin

@Joe You already shared your "secret" in another thread.

Eat healthy food, do not overeat, and exercise about 8 hours a day.

If you are a fat fucker, the pounds will miraculously disappear.

You should write a book.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Damn that's a lot.

I hardly go out anymore.

Joe can you get into some counseling?

It just sounds like you have a lot of fear and anxiety over Covid and that's not healthy. Please limit the amount of media you consume.

The virus is definately weaker. Common sense precautions is good enough and you've been vaccinated. The vaccine WILL prevent you from a severe case or death from Covid.

We gotta live our lives.

I generally avoid indoor places.

Mostly go outside Dovey.

I live by the ocean so I think that helps to blow off the germs. Go for walks and get outta the house breathe in fresh air regularly. So far it's worked.

If I go to places just sit outdoor on the patio not inside. I might try exercise class this spring...as long as its outdoors.

We were never in complete lockdown like Toronto or Montreal. They got hit much harder by covid and the restrictions on them were much greater.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
infectious microbes dont get blown away like that

Well Jeannie just about everywhere where there's a ocean close by they seem to be faring much better than everywhere else.

E w Coasts of Canada way lower than the rest of the country

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter
I think being told you've gotten covid is worse than just having it and not knowing for sure.

We can't even be sure with the dodgy PCR or RAT tests...

But ultimately, I don't care. My time is probably up in the next 20 years though I believe all the jabbed people don't even have that long.

OP
OP
Admin.

Admin.

The Goat
Site Supporter ☠️
I think being told you've gotten covid is worse than just having it and not knowing for sure.

But ultimately, I don't care. My time is probably up in the next 20 years though I believe all the jabbed people don't even have that long.
Hey guess what, we all had several vaccines in our first couple years, and most of us are still here.

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Hey guess what, we all had several vaccines in our first couple years, and most of us are still here.
And still getting covid!

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter

And still getting covid!

At higher frequency than the unjabbed! Lol