Portugal - Model of Covid Response Success

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
...and has many pretty girls.

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Portugal’s health care system was on the verge of collapse. Hospitals in the capital, Lisbon, were overflowing and authorities were asking people to treat themselves at home. In the last week of January, nearly 2,000 people died as the virus spread.

The country’s vaccine program was in a shambles, so the government turned to Vice Adm. Henrique Gouveia e Melo, a former submarine squadron commander, to right the ship.

Eight months later, Portugal is among the world’s leaders in vaccinations, with roughly 86% of its population of 10.3 million fully vaccinated. About 98% of all of those eligible for vaccines — meaning anyone over 12 — have been fully vaccinated, Gouveia e Melo said.

“We believe we have reached the point of group protection and nearly herd immunity,” he said. “Things look very good.”

On Friday, Portugal ended nearly all of its coronavirus restrictions. There has been a sharp drop in new cases, to about 650 a day, and vanishingly few deaths.

Many Western nations fortunate enough to have abundant vaccine supplies have seen inoculation rates plateau, with more than 20% of their populations still unprotected. So other governments are looking to Portugal for possible insights and are watching closely to see what happens when nearly every eligible person is protected.

Manuela Ivone da Cunha, a Portuguese anthropologist who has studied anti-vaccination movements, said that “vaccine doubters and anti-vaxxers are in the minority in Portugal, and they are also less vocal” than they are in many other countries.

n July, Gouveia e Melo seized such an opportunity.

Protesters were blocking the entrance to a vaccination center in Lisbon, so he donned his combat uniform and went there with no security detail.

“I went through these crazy people,” he said. “They started to call me ‘murderer, murderer.’”

As the television cameras rolled, the admiral calmly stood his ground.

“I said the murderer is the virus,” Gouveia e Melo recalled. The true killer, he said, would be people who live like it is the 13th century without any notion of reality.

“I attempted to communicate in a very true and honest way about all doubts and problems,” he said.

But not everybody welcomed his approach.

“We don’t really have a culture of questioning authorities,” said Laura Sanches, a clinical psychologist who has criticized Portugal’s mass vaccination rollout as too militaristic and called for it to exclude younger people.

“And the way he always presented himself in camouflage army suits — as if he was fighting a war — together with the language used by the media and the politicians, has contributed to a feeling of fear that also makes us more prone to obey and not question,” she said.

Still, the public messaging campaign — including an aggressive television and media blitz — made steady progress.

“In the beginning, we had some 40% who were unsure,” Gouveia e Melo said. Now, according to polls, he said, only 2.2% do not want the vaccine.

Portuguese people, even though they have lots o' freedom, are also very agreeable and easy going. Cooperation is a thing here.

If only they had always been that way. Among the worst of the former slave traders.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
It's interesting to me, also, that Portugal removed the mandate for mask wearing, and yet everywhere I go, 95% of people are still wearing them.

Well from the stats, Portugal ain't that low in COVID incidents or deaths:

They must have gotten whacked hard by the Pandemic last year. They have almost as many deaths as Canada.

Smaller more crowded country tho so it's easier to spread.

Yeah. The rates skyrocketed in January, February. But since then they have plummeted. In other words, they corrected themselves. Very high rates of immunization here, along with high rates of compliance with mask and distancing standards.

Most of the sickly people already died.

They have had 1,770 deaths per million population.

My country, Canada, has only had 732 deaths per million population. And we have cold months where a lot of people do not get enough sun->Vitamin E.

Portugal: Model of Kill Off the Sick Ones Quickly

Honey that happened before the vaccine. And there were a couple of precious months when the EU completely botched the distribution of the vaxx. The point IS, they have corrected all that and are now NUMBER 1! BWAAHAAAHAAAAAAA!

People in the US are dying of Covid at four times the rate they are dying in Portugal right now.

You killed off all the sickly people. There are hardly any more to kill.

Bravo!!!

Hahahahaha!!!

The US has a higher death rate, overall and currently. So, are you saying they are still working at killing off the sickly people, but haven't got them all yet?

We have a larger population.
imagine not understanding the concept of percentages*

Imagine not understanding contributing factors beyond politics.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
It's interesting to me, also, that Portugal removed the mandate for mask wearing, and yet everywhere I go, 95% of people are still wearing them.

They must have gotten whacked hard by the Pandemic last year. They have almost as many deaths as Canada.

Yeah. The rates skyrocketed in January, February. But since then they have plummeted. In other words, they corrected themselves. Very high rates of immunization here, along with high rates of compliance with mask and distancing standards.

My country, Canada, has only had 732 deaths per million population. And we have cold months where a lot of people do not get enough sun->Vitamin E.

Honey that happened before the vaccine. And there were a couple of precious months when the EU completely botched the distribution of the vaxx. The point IS, they have corrected all that and are now NUMBER 1! BWAAHAAAHAAAAAAA!

People in the US are dying of Covid at four times the rate they are dying in Portugal right now.

Bravo!!!

Hahahahaha!!!

The US has a higher death rate, overall and currently. So, are you saying they are still working at killing off the sickly people, but haven't got them all yet?

By "death rate," I meant percentages, as Admin pointed out. SMDH

Okay so you DO answer people when you have an answer or know you are right.

But you ignore them when you dont. Got it!

So why do you think our death rate is higher?

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

Bravo!!!

Hahahahaha!!!

Dumbass, instead of looking up words everyone already knows, why don't you figure out the fuck what a rate is already?

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

Portugal’s health care system was on the verge of collapse. Hospitals in the capital, Lisbon, were overflowing and authorities were asking people to treat themselves at home. In the last week of January, nearly 2,000 people died as the virus spread.

The country’s vaccine program was in a shambles, so the government turned to Vice Adm. Henrique Gouveia e Melo, a former submarine squadron commander, to right the ship.

Eight months later, Portugal is among the world’s leaders in vaccinations, with roughly 86% of its population of 10.3 million fully vaccinated. About 98% of all of those eligible for vaccines — meaning anyone over 12 — have been fully vaccinated, Gouveia e Melo said.

“We believe we have reached the point of group protection and nearly herd immunity,” he said. “Things look very good.”

On Friday, Portugal ended nearly all of its coronavirus restrictions. There has been a sharp drop in new cases, to about 650 a day, and vanishingly few deaths.

Many Western nations fortunate enough to have abundant vaccine supplies have seen inoculation rates plateau, with more than 20% of their populations still unprotected. So other governments are looking to Portugal for possible insights and are watching closely to see what happens when nearly every eligible person is protected.

Manuela Ivone da Cunha, a Portuguese anthropologist who has studied anti-vaccination movements, said that “vaccine doubters and anti-vaxxers are in the minority in Portugal, and they are also less vocal” than they are in many other countries.

Protesters were blocking the entrance to a vaccination center in Lisbon, so he donned his combat uniform and went there with no security detail.

“I went through these crazy people,” he said. “They started to call me ‘murderer, murderer.’”

“I said the murderer is the virus,” Gouveia e Melo recalled. The true killer, he said, would be people who live like it is the 13th century without any notion of reality.

“I attempted to communicate in a very true and honest way about all doubts and problems,” he said.

“We don’t really have a culture of questioning authorities,” said Laura Sanches, a clinical psychologist who has criticized Portugal’s mass vaccination rollout as too militaristic and called for it to exclude younger people.

“And the way he always presented himself in camouflage army suits — as if he was fighting a war — together with the language used by the media and the politicians, has contributed to a feeling of fear that also makes us more prone to obey and not question,” she said.

Still, the public messaging campaign — including an aggressive television and media blitz — made steady progress.

“In the beginning, we had some 40% who were unsure,” Gouveia e Melo said. Now, according to polls, he said, only 2.2% do not want the vaccine.

Portuguese people, even though they have lots o' freedom, are also very agreeable and easy going. Cooperation is a thing here.

If only they had always been that way. Among the worst of the former slave traders.

You always need to make a point of dissing anything that's even tangentially related to me. Get over your hatred, Oak. It's unseemly.

Also, get with the times. This is the 21st century. Portugal welcomes immigrants from all of their former colonies, unlike the US, who doesn't even welcome immigrants from their current colonies. And yes, the US still has colonies. At least Portugal recognizes the evil of their former ways. The US just keeps compounding their evils, acting like the world's dictator. Portugal does not currently do any of the evil shit the US does around the world.

We can't change the past, but we can fight to do something about the present. Bitching about the past won't change the present.

BTW, Portugal ended their participation in the legal slave trade within Portugal in 1761 without a civil war, and the transatlantic slave trade ended in 1836. When did the US legally end slavery, and how many died in the process?

Last edited:

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

You always need to make a point of dissing anything that's even tangentially related to me. Get over your hatred, Oak. It's unseemly.

Also, get with the times. This is the 21st century. Portugal welcomes immigrants from all of their former colonies, unlike the US, who doesn't even welcome immigrants from their current colonies. And yes, the US still has colonies. At least Portugal recognizes the evil of their former ways. The US just keeps compounding their evils, acting like the world's dictator. Portugal does not currently do any of the evil shit the US does around the world.

We can't change the past, but we can fight to do something about the present. Bitching about the past won't change the present.

BTW, Portugal ended their participation in the legal slave trade within Portugal in 1761 without a civil war, and the transatlantic slave trade ended in 1836. When did the US legally end slavery, and how many died in the process?

This isn't about you, narcissist. You are not Portugal and don't represent Portugal.

This is about the truth, Portugal dominated the slave trade to the Americas.

"Though all major European maritime powers (and increasingly, North American merchants) involved themselves in slave trading, the transatlantic slave trade continued to be dominated by the Portuguese, especially after Britain and the United States passed laws in the early nineteenth century that made the trade illegal. From 1526 to 1867, the Portuguese loaded 5,783,000 Africans for Brazil, with an estimated 2,208,000 captives shipped in an
between 1808 and 1867."

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

This isn't about you, narcissist. You are not Portugal and don't represent Portugal.

"Though all major European maritime powers (and increasingly, North American merchants) involved themselves in slave trading, the transatlantic slave trade continued to be dominated by the Portuguese, especially after Britain and the United States passed laws in the early nineteenth century that made the trade illegal. From 1526 to 1867, the Portuguese loaded 5,783,000 Africans for Brazil, with an estimated 2,208,000 captives shipped in an
between 1808 and 1867."

Yes. And then they outlawed slavery long ago. This is the 21st century. Why do you bring Portugal's past with slavery into a thread about Covid in the 21st century? What does one have to do with the other?

Do you really expect me to believe that you didn't do that because of the eternal burr you've got up your anus over me?

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

between 1808 and 1867."

Yes. And then they outlawed slavery long ago. This is the 21st century.

Yes, I didn't say otherwise. So did white America. Do black lives only matter in the US? Are they going to do something about the plight of African descendants in Portugal?

Biggie Smiles

I make libturds berry angry. I do!!!
Site Supporter

Lotus = 50

ana navarro knock off clone = 10

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

between 1808 and 1867."

Yes, I didn't say otherwise. So did white America. Do black lives only matter in the US?

This thread is about Covid. YOU made it about slavery. Why?

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter

The civil war was not about slavery. It started over state rights and ending slavery became a goal later on.

And we are the ones who oppose our country being involved in other countries and getting into bullshit wars.

You are much more sympathetic and way more forgiving of the ones who do all of it.

How is that rebranding of Bush going? He hates us all as well.

Btw....what do you expect from Oak? Shes a democrat.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

between 1808 and 1867."

Yes, I didn't say otherwise. So did white America. Do black lives only matter in the US?

I don't recall anymore, but I don't care either. Deal with it, or scroll past.

Biggie Smiles

I make libturds berry angry. I do!!!
Site Supporter

between 1808 and 1867."

Because she's too stupid to know the difference?

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

between 1808 and 1867."

I don't recall anymore, but I don't care either. Deal with it, or scroll past.

Of course you don't recall. You brought it up out of left field. But it's clear to me why you brought it up. You have a need to diss me whenever you get a chance, even when it's a total non sequitur. You've done this sort of thing consistently for years. I think it makes you feel less bad about yourself. I will scroll past if I feel like it, or call you on it if I feel like it. It's my call.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Definitely the worst of the European slave trading states. It is worth mentioning that the Muslim slave traders did around 20-30 times as many black African slaves than the entire trans Atlantic slave trade did.