Portugal - Model of Covid Response Success

Holliday1881

Banned
Banned
...and has many pretty girls.

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Portugal’s health care system was on the verge of collapse. Hospitals in the capital, Lisbon, were overflowing and authorities were asking people to treat themselves at home. In the last week of January, nearly 2,000 people died as the virus spread.

The country’s vaccine program was in a shambles, so the government turned to Vice Adm. Henrique Gouveia e Melo, a former submarine squadron commander, to right the ship.

Eight months later, Portugal is among the world’s leaders in vaccinations, with roughly 86% of its population of 10.3 million fully vaccinated. About 98% of all of those eligible for vaccines — meaning anyone over 12 — have been fully vaccinated, Gouveia e Melo said.

“We believe we have reached the point of group protection and nearly herd immunity,” he said. “Things look very good.”

On Friday, Portugal ended nearly all of its coronavirus restrictions. There has been a sharp drop in new cases, to about 650 a day, and vanishingly few deaths.

Many Western nations fortunate enough to have abundant vaccine supplies have seen inoculation rates plateau, with more than 20% of their populations still unprotected. So other governments are looking to Portugal for possible insights and are watching closely to see what happens when nearly every eligible person is protected.

Manuela Ivone da Cunha, a Portuguese anthropologist who has studied anti-vaccination movements, said that “vaccine doubters and anti-vaxxers are in the minority in Portugal, and they are also less vocal” than they are in many other countries.

n July, Gouveia e Melo seized such an opportunity.

Protesters were blocking the entrance to a vaccination center in Lisbon, so he donned his combat uniform and went there with no security detail.

“I went through these crazy people,” he said. “They started to call me ‘murderer, murderer.’”

As the television cameras rolled, the admiral calmly stood his ground.

“I said the murderer is the virus,” Gouveia e Melo recalled. The true killer, he said, would be people who live like it is the 13th century without any notion of reality.

“I attempted to communicate in a very true and honest way about all doubts and problems,” he said.

But not everybody welcomed his approach.

“We don’t really have a culture of questioning authorities,” said Laura Sanches, a clinical psychologist who has criticized Portugal’s mass vaccination rollout as too militaristic and called for it to exclude younger people.

“And the way he always presented himself in camouflage army suits — as if he was fighting a war — together with the language used by the media and the politicians, has contributed to a feeling of fear that also makes us more prone to obey and not question,” she said.

Still, the public messaging campaign — including an aggressive television and media blitz — made steady progress.

“In the beginning, we had some 40% who were unsure,” Gouveia e Melo said. Now, according to polls, he said, only 2.2% do not want the vaccine.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
If they all got the Pfizer vaccine, their honeymoon might not last long.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
If they all got the Pfizer vaccine, their honeymoon might not last long.

It's also a much smaller country and people have more trust in their government.

Probably because unlike Americas government, they are not corporate owned blatant liars who have used Covid to play politics since it hit the country.

Thinking about contributing factors like that is too hard for monoparty NPCs though. They worship government and hate people who dont worship the government.

Instead of comparing leadership and seeing how poor and failed US "leadership" is, they compare and blame the people. We are not supposed to have concerns of any sort or refused to be coerced by consistent liars.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I thought the Portuguese had freedom?
Nope - I bet they don't even have one junkie prostitute spreading propaganda for a resistance movement.

Yanno Holliday - even if a woman accepts money fer sex, I don't think any lesser of them for it. So many guys end up paying for it thru their wives & girlfriends anyways. I don't think the USA (and most of Canada with the exception of Quebec) is honest about it. If the government legalized weed, they should regulate/legalize prostitution too & tax it. It might actually reduce & control the spread of VD & other diseases as well.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Nope - I bet they don't even have one junkie prostitute spreading propaganda for a resistance movement.

Yanno Holliday - even if a woman accepts money fer sex, I don't think any lesser of them for it. So many guys end up paying for it thru their wives & girlfriends anyways. I don't think the USA (and most of Canada with the exception of Quebec) is honest about it. If the government legalized weed, they should regulate/legalize prostitution too & tax it. It might actually reduce & control the spread of VD & other diseases as well.

I wish I could agree with that, but after everything I've seen here even just as a stripper.....and again as an addict....its just a completely shadey I dustry with no integrity and no care for anyones rights or safety.

Too much trafficking and exploitation of very young girls.

Girls and women caught up in this world need compassion and help. Not judgement and insults.

But you know.....H is a real champion for the people here. I guess so long as they dont have thoughts and opinions he doesnt like.

Wrong think is real offensive to him.

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Lets just say I pay my wife MORE than a prostitute, josephine. The benefits are priceless.

OP
OP
Holliday1881

Holliday1881

Banned
Banned

Yes - I agree entirely. I am a long time advocate of legalizing prostitution (and weed, of course, I will add, long before any contards who are always late to the party - so to speak), but then you know many people would start crying about government/legal controls and overreach.

PS: re the last there. Cons don't want any a that liberuh bullshit like worker safety protections, child labor laws and taxes getting in the way of a good time.

Last edited:

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Weed alters the mind and mobility and should NOT be legalized at all... It's an over-rated shit drug.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter

Yes - I agree entirely. I am a long time advocate of legalizing prostitution (and weed, of course, I will add, long before any contards who are always late to the party - so to speak), but then you know many people would start crying about government/legal controls and overreach.

PS: re the last there. Cons don't want any a that liberuh bullshit like worker safety protections, child labor laws and taxes getting in the way of a good time.

And as anyone who is ACTUALLY conservative will say, that's not in the tiniest bit true.

It's just typical leftarded lies.

Just like the leftarded lies that any of you "advocate" or care about anyone besides yourselves and how you view yourself.

We see all the time what you liars REALLY think of other people. You have no business lying about advocating for people you openly look down on and dont care about until you suddenly "remember" your retarded stereotypes and what you are supposed to SAY you are for. Just like how you lot claim to "advocate" for minorities by making sure they are treated by lower standards because you believe them to be dumber and less capable and more violent. YOU guys believe that.

When in reality, you dont give a damn shit and you are only motivated by opposing another party you were brainwashed to hate.

If conservatives didnt want it legal for valid reasons, you would want it legalized anyway and then just ignore the shit show and abuse and oversight abuse. Youd leave girls and women out there at the mercy of corrupt government officials and workers who can be paid off and often are as it is. These women and girls who would otherwise be raped and abused until death if not for police taking them into custody and getting them help would just screwed. Because people like you need your partisan cred points and dont really give a fuck about any of those junkie hookers anyway.

Perfect example of leftwing "advocacy".

As far as drugs? You certainly are no advocate for drugs being decriminalized as you support and defend and align with fucking drug war democrats who are never going to decriminalize them. Ever. Shit Biden is the Crime bill author and Harris used black men for free state labor because they were caught with weed. Good job.

All you give a shit about is your ignorant opinions of your political opposition and your lives and how you want to fully support the establishment while trying to sell a retarded anti establishment narrative.

H. The establishment supporting useful idiot who tries to say he is pro liberty. And pro the people. While degrading people and licking the rectum of the monoparty.

Last edited:

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
...and has many pretty girls.

Portugal’s health care system was on the verge of collapse. Hospitals in the capital, Lisbon, were overflowing and authorities were asking people to treat themselves at home. In the last week of January, nearly 2,000 people died as the virus spread.

The country’s vaccine program was in a shambles, so the government turned to Vice Adm. Henrique Gouveia e Melo, a former submarine squadron commander, to right the ship.

Eight months later, Portugal is among the world’s leaders in vaccinations, with roughly 86% of its population of 10.3 million fully vaccinated. About 98% of all of those eligible for vaccines — meaning anyone over 12 — have been fully vaccinated, Gouveia e Melo said.

“We believe we have reached the point of group protection and nearly herd immunity,” he said. “Things look very good.”

On Friday, Portugal ended nearly all of its coronavirus restrictions. There has been a sharp drop in new cases, to about 650 a day, and vanishingly few deaths.

Many Western nations fortunate enough to have abundant vaccine supplies have seen inoculation rates plateau, with more than 20% of their populations still unprotected. So other governments are looking to Portugal for possible insights and are watching closely to see what happens when nearly every eligible person is protected.

Manuela Ivone da Cunha, a Portuguese anthropologist who has studied anti-vaccination movements, said that “vaccine doubters and anti-vaxxers are in the minority in Portugal, and they are also less vocal” than they are in many other countries.

n July, Gouveia e Melo seized such an opportunity.

Protesters were blocking the entrance to a vaccination center in Lisbon, so he donned his combat uniform and went there with no security detail.

“I went through these crazy people,” he said. “They started to call me ‘murderer, murderer.’”

As the television cameras rolled, the admiral calmly stood his ground.

“I said the murderer is the virus,” Gouveia e Melo recalled. The true killer, he said, would be people who live like it is the 13th century without any notion of reality.

“I attempted to communicate in a very true and honest way about all doubts and problems,” he said.

But not everybody welcomed his approach.

“We don’t really have a culture of questioning authorities,” said Laura Sanches, a clinical psychologist who has criticized Portugal’s mass vaccination rollout as too militaristic and called for it to exclude younger people.

“And the way he always presented himself in camouflage army suits — as if he was fighting a war — together with the language used by the media and the politicians, has contributed to a feeling of fear that also makes us more prone to obey and not question,” she said.

Still, the public messaging campaign — including an aggressive television and media blitz — made steady progress.

“In the beginning, we had some 40% who were unsure,” Gouveia e Melo said. Now, according to polls, he said, only 2.2% do not want the vaccine.

Portuguese people, even though they have lots o' freedom, are also very agreeable and easy going. Cooperation is a thing here.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Lets just say I pay my wife MORE than a prostitute, josephine. The benefits are priceless.

A mistress might be cheaper 'n your wife, eh Lokmeer?

That's what I hear from all these married guys - that their wives cost them so much & that a mistress is cheaper

So in that regard yer not alone. ...Lokmeer!

Yer standard fare, Bud!

Last edited:

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
So let's say there are two married couples.

One marriage is obviously happy, built on trust and friendship and has honesty and fairness.

And the other one is clearly abusive with a spouse who cheats, lies, gaslights and abuses.

And the spouse of the abuser isnt as pleasant or "cooperative".

Would you bash the spouse of the abuser for not trusting or cooperating with her shit bag and compare her(or him) to spouse in the happy marriage?

I mean I guess you would if you were a flying monkey of the abuser and believed the abusers lies and blamed her for the cheating and abuse. Because if she was just trusting and cooperative, her abusive spouse wouldn't have to abuse.

And dont say its different....because this is exactly what it is.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter

That's what I hear from all these married guys - that their wives cost them so much & that a mistress is cheaper

Wives have unfettered access to all of the money accumulated in the marriage.

I actually handle all the financial stuff in my marriage. He makes most of it, I'm the one who budgets and spends it. He doesnt want to deal with any of that, so it's one of my "jobs" of the family.

I'm not someone who spends a lot on stupid shit and I'm better at shopping even though I hate it. So it works.

My husband got a 3k retention bonus that we are getting in a few weeks :D of course its mine, naturally.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

I actually handle all the financial stuff in my marriage. He makes most of it, I'm the one who budgets and spends it. He doesnt want to deal with any of that, so it's one of my "jobs" of the family.

I'm not someone who spends a lot on stupid shit and I'm better at shopping even though I hate it. So it works.

That's the thing about today's feminists.

They always complain about how typical women in suburbia used to have it so bad. But in reality they always usually controlled the family budgets. I think that's the way it's always been in North America.

Now 'liberated' w/o a man around, many of these single moms are 'free' to worry about it all themselves.

The breakup of the traditional family might have also led to Skyrocketing debt & bankruptcies because no one has been around the house to 'mind the mint' & manage the finances.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Weed alters the mind and mobility and should NOT be legalized at all... It's an over-rated shit drug.

Vancouver reeks of weed smoke.
The dt is full of dirty homeless addicts.
If Australia legalizes weed like Canada did your cities will reek as badly as ours do.

About the only time I get fresh air at the beach now is if I walk way out on the dock to escape the Shores full of stoned tokers now .

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter

They always complain about how typical women in suburbia used to have it so bad. But in reality they always usually controlled the family budgets. I think that's the way it's always been in North America.

Now 'liberated' w/o a man around, many of these single moms are 'free' to worry about it all themselves.

The breakup of the traditional family might have also led to Skyrocketing debt & bankruptcies because no one has been around the house to 'mind the mint' & manage the finances.

Todays feminists are not feminists. They are misogynist marketing crews for the modern patriarchy.

They want women to feel "empowered" by trying to be like men. Being used for sex. Being hard hearted and noncommittal, not expecting much, viewing our bodies like slavery in regards to our offspring, getting abortions, and centering our lives of slaving away for the "man" who signs the paycheck.

Dont get me wrong....nothing wrong with having a career.

But defining yourself by it, thinking it makes you better or "empowered", and being a bank slave really is NOT some incredible feat. Especailly when you are throwing away genuine love and throwing away children to meet these cultural expectations.

They really are backwards in so many ways.

I know no one wonders who the boss is in my house.

OP
OP
Holliday1881

Holliday1881

Banned
Banned

.You know, but seriously, Joe.
Oh - nice blanket statements all around btw.
..the only financial difficulties I ever ran into was when married, because my wife believe in budgeting every dollar we expected to make leaving not a cent for saving.

True that in my household, growing up
it was my mom who handled the money.
That's as old as horses and biggies in the US.

I wouldn't count on the modern woman to mind the till now-a-days, though, as a matter of course.
I've always done fine on my own, and I'm sure many other men have also.
So hey - how 'bought we avoid the stereotypes, huh?

OH and PS to all-a-that-there.

.I don't suppose any of that directly explains why Portugal has succeeded at coming together as a community of people and supporting each other with collective/coordinated action rather than failing,
.but happily maintaining FREEDUMB! and selfishness during a time of crisis.

Last edited:

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter

.You know, but seriously, Joe.
Oh - nice blanket statements all around btw.
..the only financial difficulties I ever ran into was when married, because my wife believe in budgeting every dollar we expected to make leaving not a cent for saving.

True that in my household, growing up
it was my mom who handled the money.
That's as old as horses and biggies in the US.

I wouldn't count on the modern woman to mind the till now-a-days, though, as a matter of course.
I've always done fine on my own, and I'm sure many other men have also.
So hey - how 'bought we avoid the stereotypes, huh?

OH and PS to all-a-that-there.

.I don't suppose any of that directly explains why Portugal has succeeded at coming together as a community of people and supporting each other with collective/coordinated action rather than failing,
.but happily maintaining FREEDUMB! and selfishness during a time of crisis.

Funny I directly answered why in a direct way and than again as a metaphor.

I guess any answer besides "because people who do what i want are subhuman selfish fuckers!!!: just isnt acceptable.

Let's lay off stereotypes.....unless you are the one making them.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

I wish I could agree with that, but after everything I've seen here even just as a stripper.....and again as an addict....its just a completely shadey I dustry with no integrity and no care for anyones rights or safety.

Girls and women caught up in this world need compassion and help. Not judgement and insults.

But you know.....H is a real champion for the people here. I guess so long as they dont have thoughts and opinions he doesnt like.

I never thought of strippers as odious or bad. I've always considered them as just entertainment. Just something a guy and his pals would gawk at chugging down pitchers of beer.

I remember this engineering firm I worked at in the 80s, all these professional engineers would go the strip bar no longer around, called the Fraser Arms (google it ifya wish-renowned for cheap beer, babes & a $0 cover charge) at noon, come back sloshed at 1. Nobody thought anything of it. They were all married men too. And the receptionist would just laugh, talk dirty too. I think it was just a way for them to relieve stress from otherwise drudgerous jobs of heavy mathematical calculations & looking at blueprints all day long. Structural engineering is not a terribly fun job I'm afraid. So they needed some escape/relief.

Anyways, times were different back then and it was considered 'manly' ta watch the babes perform their tricks. Now of course with political correctness run amok, those engineers would be reported by #meToo & hounded outta the business & have their professional licenses suspended, eh?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Holliday1881

Holliday1881

Banned
Banned
Authorities becoming concerned with the shortage of the unvaxxed.

Curious, so many of the rebels around here should also be admitted vaxxers.

"I be anti-Bij Farmer annnnd FREEEDUUUMB!
..Yeah I took took the vax but it's like this.....blah blah blah."

Have we so few adults here?

PS: Fall Bass fishing is on, kids.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter

I never thought of strippers as odious or bad. I've always considered them as just entertainment. Just something a guy and his pals would gawk at chugging down pitchers of beer.

I remember this engineering firm I worked at in the 80s, all these professional engineers would go the strip bar no longer around, called the Fraser Arms (google it ifya wish-renowned for cheap beer, babes & a $0 cover charge) at noon, come back sloshed at 1. Nobody thought anything of it. They were all married men too. And the receptionist would just laugh, talk dirty too. I think it was just a way for them to relieve stress from otherwise drudgerous jobs of heavy mathematical calculations & looking at blueprints all day long. Structural engineering is not a terribly fun job I'm afraid. So they needed some escape/relief.

Anyways, times were different back then and it was considered 'manly' ta watch the babes perform their tricks. Now of course with political correctness run amok, those engineers would be reported by #meToo & hounded outta the business & have their professional licenses suspended, eh?

Married men were the worst solicitors. And married couples that came in were bad too. The WOMEN were very grabby and very forward. I guess I get they are probably trying to spice up their sex life.... but getting grabby and sexually aggresive with the stripper? I handled them well but it was pretty tedious when a couple would get ahold of you. The husbands always paid well though lol.

Most of my regulars were married men. And a few single men. One was an old former pharma guy. Some sort of wealthy high ranking pharmacist or some shit .....tbh I didnt always really listen to them done on. I was just really good at appearing like I was hanging on every word.

He always called me his future ex wife lol. He had been like 8 times.

I know that entire scene is just as abusive and exploitive as it's always been and there is a lot more drug addiction.

I have no idea how I did that for 10 years and didnt get into any bad drug addictions. That came later on.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Authorities becoming concerned with the shortage of the unvaxxed.

Curious, so many of the rebels around here should also be admitted vaxxers.

"I be anti-Bij Farmer annnnd FREEEDUUUMB!
..Yeah I took took the vax but it's like this.....blah blah blah."

Have we so few adults here?

PS: Fall Ball fishing is on, kids.

You frame this in a very fucked up manner.

People have a right to decide what medical interventions or treatments they want.

The fact this could even be called "rebelling" should tell you. The last I checked people have authority over their medical decisions, so there is no rebeling going on.

I'm also willing to bet that YOU probably havent made the best and most responsible decisions for your own health. Which is fine, btw. You are an adult and you have the right to dictate how you manage your own health.

But you have no place to be judging and criticizing how others manage their own.

You have no idea peoples individual reasons or circumstances as to why they are not getting it or just havent gotten it. And if you think this government pushing is anything more than corporate fascism......you are being duped.