So its time to junk our buick

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
Then a few months later he nail gunned his scrotum to a roof shingle :LOL3:

Okay, I mean Low-IQ within reason.

Some people just need to be (humanely) put out of their misery.

ap21117787670699-566e8ad365046bfb5ce8552c27bac5b8ceac1960.jpg

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
Okay so my husband is here tonight and here is our new (to us) car. It's a 2015 Ford Focus. And we actually spent just about 14k.

Nice. I hope it serves you well.

I'm actually thinking about fixing the head gasket and giving it to my daughter as a beater car. Shes been wanting it.

Lokmar seems to know a lot about cars. He might have some insight about how difficult this job would be. My understanding is that parts costs would probably be close to zero; it would be all about the labour. But he is the guy to ask around here, AFAIK.

DDT

Factory Bastard
Okay so my husband is here tonight and here is our new (to us) car. It's a 2015 Ford Focus. And we actually spent just about 14k.

I know its dark.....he didnt get home until it was dark and he will be gone at work all day tomorrow.

20220228-221043.jpg

20220228-221058.jpg

20220228-221151.jpg

It also has a screen were you can watch yourself hit stuff behind you lol

Writing a check for nearly 14k was painful. You have no idea how hard we worked to squirrel money. Fix credit. Et. I have been such a viligent penny pincher.

We didnt hurt ourselves at all. It's just a big check to write for us. BUT.....we have NO debt and the car is ours completely so....I'm over it. Now that I've seen it I'm all good. Like I said....we are not poor....but we are not ballin like all you guys :D

Such a relief. It sucks when your car shits out of no where that fast. We knew it was coming....it was 2007 Buick ffs.

I'm actually thinking about fixing the head gasket and giving it to my daughter as a beater car. Shes been wanting it.
Nice! The weak point in these particular cars are their automated manual transmissions (Dual Clutch Autos). Ford had a couple of recalls on them to fix issues, so make sure that's been done if it hasn't...

DDT

Factory Bastard
Lokmar seems to know a lot about cars. He might have some insight about how difficult this job would be. My understanding is that parts costs would probably be close to zero; it would be all about the labour. But he is the guy to ask around here, AFAIK.
Ya, head gaskets aren't usually a big deal to replace, especially on older engines that have a simpler valve train, but the real issue is why did the gasket fail in the first place? That usually means machining/head work to prevent another failure, which can get pricey. Things like overheating can cause gasket failure, and it causes other problems too that can get expensive.

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter
Might be cheaper to swap out motors with one from a salvage yard....
This^. It often is, provided the junk yard engine is good...

My wife's old ford fiesta 2011 had an impact with a wombat and ruined the motor. Cost 1300 bucks AUD or just under 1K USD for a salvage yard swap over.

It was cheaper than rebuilding it.

OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter

I know its dark.....he didnt get home until it was dark and he will be gone at work all day tomorrow.

20220228-221043.jpg

20220228-221058.jpg

20220228-221151.jpg

It also has a screen were you can watch yourself hit stuff behind you lol

Writing a check for nearly 14k was painful. You have no idea how hard we worked to squirrel money. Fix credit. Et. I have been such a viligent penny pincher.

We didnt hurt ourselves at all. It's just a big check to write for us. BUT.....we have NO debt and the car is ours completely so....I'm over it. Now that I've seen it I'm all good. Like I said....we are not poor....but we are not ballin like all you guys :D

Such a relief. It sucks when your car shits out of no where that fast. We knew it was coming....it was 2007 Buick ffs.

Nice! The weak point in these particular cars are their automated manual transmissions (Dual Clutch Autos). Ford had a couple of recalls on them to fix issues, so make sure that's been done if it hasn't...

It has! It's all good....no issues. :D

OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Ya, head gaskets aren't usually a big deal to replace, especially on older engines that have a simpler valve train, but the real issue is why did the gasket fail in the first place? That usually means machining/head work to prevent another failure, which can get pricey. Things like overheating can cause gasket failure, and it causes other problems too that can get expensive.

It was overheating but we dont know what came first. The over heating or the gasket. It just kinda all happened at once.

We didnt investigate it too deeply. As soon as the mechanic said "head gasket blown" we were getting a rental and car shopping.

The most I can get junking it is 560 bucks. And my oldest daughter is after us about the possibility of it getting fixed and she can have it. For some reason she really wants that car.

I think it's because it's the car she learned how to drive in.

OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
So now we are engine shopping.

The men can tow the buick to the cabin and theyve got an engine lift and all that to swap out the engine.

So we are gonna go this route depending on what we find.

We were talking about using our tax return but we really are not getting much back this year at all.

OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
And after we went to get our taxes done last night my husband confessed....he misses the buick and is adjusting poorly lol

We are literally emotionally struggling right now lol

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
2007 century, if it has a 3800 or a 3300, a junkyard engine is worth it. If its a 3100 or 3400, I hate those things. Always lose torque on the intake manifold gaskets and its a bitch of a job to do every 4 or 5 years. If someones put stop leak in the coolant system ever, plan on a heater core replace and a boil out of the radiator. Some of the harmonic balancers on the 3800 and 3300's were prone to shearing. I'd keep the balancer and coil pack off the old motor as a back up. BTW, when the balancer rubber shears, it sounds like a rod knocking. The PCB under the coil packs go out on the regular. The upper plastic intake manifolds tend to warp and leak antifreeze. They make a "problem solver" manifold but if you can keep the old one, do so. All the 3100/3400's have metal manifolds as I remember.

OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
2007 century, if it has a 3800 or a 3300, a junkyard engine is worth it. If its a 3100 or 3400, I hate those things. Always lose torque on the intake manifold gaskets and its a bitch of a job to do every 4 or 5 years. If someones put stop leak in the coolant system ever, plan on a heater core replace and a boil out of the radiator. Some of the harmonic balancers on the 3800 and 3300's were prone to shearing. I'd keep the balancer and coil pack off the old motor as a back up. BTW, when the balancer rubber shears, it sounds like a rod knocking. The PCB under the coil packs go out on the regular. The upper plastic intake manifolds tend to warp and leak antifreeze. They make a "problem solver" manifold but if you can keep the old one, do so. All the 3100/3400's have metal manifolds as I remember.

I have no fucking clue if it's a 3800 or 3300 or a what. I'm just letting the men deal with that.

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

I have no fucking clue if it's a 3800 or 3300 or a what. I'm just letting the men deal with that.
Open the hood and look at the plastic cover on top of the engine. Pray that its a 3300 before you do. It probably is though.

OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter

Open the hood and look at the plastic cover on top of the engine. Pray that its a 3300 before you do. It probably is though.

I sent a screen shot of your post to my husband....he said "no worries it's a 3300" lol.

If we resurrect the buick....there is a good chance he will want to continue driving that lol.

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
The 3300 was pretty much the same as a 3800, just fewer cubes. Bulletproof motors for the most part. The later ones with the plastic upper intakes were a problem.

OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Wait, the century was dropped in 2005. What is this car?

It's a 2005. I was wrong on the year. I didnt realize my error until I called to junk it. The guy said there was no such car and it fucked me up until I asked the husband and he told it's a 2005

Muh bad lol

OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Here is the buick as of ten minutes ago

20220304-121824.jpg

That nasty dent in the front is why I keep my blow job skills top notch.

And you get a lovely view of the old ass trailor of which we are working on lol it's a weird unnatural yellowy color with green. Its butt fucking ugly isnt it? Lmao. We love it.

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Here is the buick as of ten minutes ago

20220304-121824.jpg

That nasty dent in the front is why I keep my blow job skills top notch.

And you get a lovely view of the old ass trailor of which we are working on lol it's a weird unnatural yellowy color with green. Its butt fucking ugly isnt it? Lmao. We love it.
Bonus points if you can sub a 3800 in it!!!!

TheHaze

If my dog doesn't like you, I probably won'teither
Site Supporter
Dove, don't throw good money into that (Buick) POS which is just have one thing after another go wrong - - - - - -
Get a nice good running used Toyota so you don't have to worry about you child out somewhere it a broken down turd!

PS - Do you have a good Auto Tech ?
My son said that job to find a engine and install will run around 4.5 t0 5 K in a shop -

Last edited:

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Dove, don't throw good money into that (Buick) POS which is just have one thing after another go wrong - - - - - -
Get a nice good running used Toyota so you don't have to worry about you child out somewhere it a broken down turd!

My son said that job to find a engine and install will run around 4.5 t0 5 K in a shop -
I suspected her husband would do the work. The engine will only cost about $500 and another $200 in misc. parts. Not a bad investment if you'll put your kid in it. Plus, all the maintenance parts for those cars are dirt cheap.

TheHaze

Site Supporter
[QUOTE="Lokmar,
I suspected her husband would do the work. The engine will only cost about $500 and another $200 in misc. parts. Not a bad investment if you'll put your kid in it. Plus, all the maintenance parts for those cars are dirt cheap.
[/QUOTE]

She didn't say about her Bo ?
In any case I don't think he is around enough to take on a project like that - anyways my thinking is they didn't maintain the car much :Id Hit It:

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter
[QUOTE="Lokmar,

In any case I don't think he is around enough to take on a project like that - anyways my thinking is they didn't maintain the car much :Id Hit It:
[/QUOTE]

It's Michigan ffs.... it doesn't matter what a car looks like in Michigan. Only that the beater runs ok.

OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter

My husband, his dad and some friends would be doing it and yeah.....they know what they are doing.

I would definately not worry.

OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
[QUOTE="Lokmar,

It's Michigan ffs.... it doesn't matter what a car looks like in Michigan. Only that the beater runs ok.
[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

TheHaze

Site Supporter
[QUOTE="Dove

[/QUOTE]

Exactly.
[/QUOTE]

I will light a candle for you - - - - - - -

OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
[QUOTE="Dove

Exactly.
[/QUOTE]

I will light a candle for you - - - - - - -
[/QUOTE]

My favorites are the beeswax Jasmine and Patchouli ones.

I can afford them because I dont need my cars to be flashy......just good engines that run well :D