So its time to junk our buick

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
Naw, my car loan is at 2.46% so why would I remove money from investments making 20% per year? I am still well head on total financial goals. Time value of money and all that.

I have a balanced approach to my investments. Yes, I could take on some debt and invest the money instead, and the odds are that the investments will earn more, even after taxes, than the cost of the debt.

But, I already have my retirement savings invested, mainly in equities.

At my age (55), I value a more conservative approach. If the Canadian stock market were to tank, I am still in a good position. But it would suck if it tanked and I had to draw from deflated stocks to make loan payments.

I like going to bed without any money worries.

Now, you do need to take a close look at what you really need vs what you simply want. There is no point pissing away $70,000 on some luxury car which will be worth $15,000 in five years but getting a solid, well built, and reliable car for $25,000 which will still be worth $15,000 in five years makes more sense. Especially if you bargain hard and getthe price reduced by $5000 on the purchase price.

Every situation is different. I am getting to the front of the line for a 2022 Corvette Stingray. Not luxury, but sport. I have never had a mid-engine car and I expect to have a lot of fun in it. I know that for getting from Point A to Point B around the city it will not usually be my first choice. It is like my motorcycle and Z28 - every ride is more of a big deal, more effort, bigger production. It is a bit much when just headed out to pickup a bag of milk.

But it will be a shitload of fun to drive for pleasure and for trips longer than just to the store or whatever.

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
...and that is along the lines how Transportation companies think, too.
The wanna get the most bang for the buck.
Whether it's a bus or limo company.
Squeeze as much revenue during the life of the vehicle.

Maybe @The Prowler might learn something from your posts.

@Joe, you constantly fail to understand The Point.

You stated that you could not afford a $125K car.

I pointed out (here come The Point) that at your advanced age you should have enough liquid assets to be able to write a cheque for $125K.

You should have 4x that amount of money at your disposal.

That is it. That is all.

You wanted to spazz out about what it takes to run some shitty limo business, so I went with it because I find you entertaining. Like watching a monkey eating his own crap.

But the facts are the facts.

I did not start this with a "Nah nah nah!!! @Joe is poor!!!" airclaim that is so common around here.

You started it by announcing that you are in a bad financial position.

Well, I confess @Dove, the only way I could ever afford a Mercedes luxury car ....after taking out a huge car loan.

It is sad to see somebody your age in that position. Money is not everything, but at your age you should be in a position to not have to worry about finances.

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
Hell, mortgage rates are between 2% and 3% yet promptly prices went up and average of almost 20% last year around here. Put down enough so that the monthly costs are below the rental prices (factoring in taxes, possible vacancy risks when you are between renters or have to evict a deadbeat, repair costs, etc...) and you are still making a prudent financial decision which makes a lot of net worth over time.

There is still a risk there but you are making informed risks on assets which go up in value instead of down over the long term.

That is how I thought 15 years ago when I was planning for retirement. I considered owning rental properties, but chose different options.

Now that I am basically retired, my priorities are different.

I bet you are a lot younger than me. Your perspective seems to be that of a person in a different stage in life that me. And an old fucker like @Joe.

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
@Joe edited that post to include this:
It's about ROI or Return on Investment.

Last edited: 20 minutes ago

Hahahahaha!!!

So funny!!! It is like he did some research and read about some high school level business terms.

The guy who whines "Rent is too high! Those damn landlords are bleeding me dry!!!!" and when I tell him that is too simplistic and he needs to look at the cost of real estate to get a better understanding he just shrugs his shoulders and has a stupid look on his face is now trying to educate me on ROI.

Hahahahahahahaha!!!!

OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
We just really did NOT want to finance anything.

We are not poor but we are not exactly "well off" or wealthy by any means. The entire point of taking on this old trailor and renovating it was to avoid debts. The only debt we are willing to take is for land...and we want to be able to eliminate that debt quickly as possible. Buying land outright would be ideal.

So I'm super glad we were able to just buy a car especailly today with the costs of everything going up. My husband already stays a few hours away most of the week because he works a few hours away. And he has classes (required for his job...he is blasting through to finish his degree and his job is actually paying for most of it, which is awesome) so when he has classes, he wouldnt even get home until midnight. So between that and the rising gas prices, he crashes at his dads house a lot.

And we started the process of having his record expunged. He has a drug related charge from 9 years ago that has to come off his record for the degree he is getting (nursing). He isnt going to be a beside nurse, but for the position he is going for he needs a BSN.

So that's gonna be a few thousands dollars.

We definately have a lot going on.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
And we started the process of having his record expunged. He has a drug related charge from 9 years ago that has to come off his record for the degree he is getting (nursing). He isnt going to be a beside nurse, but for the position he is going for he needs a BSN.

So that's gonna be a few thousands dollars.

We definately have a lot going on.

They get the working class ta pay for their incarceration/records & to become 'free' of them.

Hmmmm. Sounds familiar @Dove y.

They do that here too.

Stick it to the working class.

I got 4 points for using a cell phone while driving & going 10 mph over the speed limit which cost me another 3 points which more or less fucked up my professional driving record. 6 is the usu the max they allow & it doesn't come off for 5-6 years. And thats not even a criminal record. Another reason I quit limo driving.

I was lucky ta keep my record clean for 7 years but after that my luck ran out.

I can kinda see why those truckers were protesting in Canada. They often get hit much harder than that. The guv is so unforgiving towards them. No wonder they wanted to burn the house down.

DDT

Factory Bastard
Canada does make getting a criminal record pardon very easy though. It's $50, and a five year wait for minor offenses, and a 10 year wait for serious offenses. It's pretty much guaranteed to everyone unless their record is for child sexual offenses.

The US system is much more difficult and far less forgiving to those that have committed a crime, to have their record expunged.

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
They get the working class ta pay for their incarceration/records & to become 'free' of them.

Hmmmm. Sounds familiar @Dove y.

They do that here too.

Stick it to the working class.

Everyone would have to pay the same amount, @Joe.

You constant victim.

I got 4 points for using a cell phone while driving & going 10 mph over the speed limit which cost me another 3 points which more or less fucked up my professional driving record. 6 is the usu the max they allow & it doesn't come off for 5-6 years. And thats not even a criminal record. Another reason I quit limo driving.

What kind of an asshole texts while driving?

Not to mention while he is also speeding??

You are lucky that you did not kill an innocent person, @Joe. You piece of shit.

OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Canada does make getting a criminal record pardon very easy though. It's $50, and a five year wait for minor offenses, and a 10 year wait for serious offenses. It's pretty much guaranteed to everyone unless their record is for child sexual offenses.

The US system is much more difficult and far less forgiving to those that have committed a crime, to have their record expunged.

Its gonna be pricey. A long time ago, he was busted in possession of heroin. A judge have him the option of 5 years in prison or to go to a year long rehab program and complete it. And if he chose rehab(who wouldnt?), the felony would kinda go away. BUT if he got another felony, the first felony would come back.

And then 9 years ago, after he dropped me off at a rehab, he couldnt get anywhere(they wont allow couples into the rehab I went to) and he ended up getting busted again, but not for possession. He was just insanely high. He doesnt even remember getting arrested or going to jail. He ended up just telling the cop everything.

His attorney managed to get that charge to a misdemeanor. But he cant have this on his record and finish a BSN, so we have to get it expunged asap.

He never lost his job through any of that either. He just took a medical leave and went to some rehab house in Detroit and just kicked it on a cot with no medical detox help at all. He has been clean ever since.

DDT

Factory Bastard
I remember watching an episode of Border Security, and low and behold Corey Feldman shows up at the airport here to shoot some B-grade movie. Of course they asked him if he's ever been convicted of a crime, and he has... Possession of narcotics. Corey had it expunged though, so Corey could enter Canada and shoot his B-grade movie. So, always good to have a clean record... Especially if you're Corey and have to travel.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Its gonna be pricey. A long time ago, he was busted in possession of heroin. A judge have him the option of 5 years in prison or to go to a year long rehab program and complete it. And if he chose rehab(who wouldnt?), the felony would kinda go away. BUT if he got another felony, the first felony would come back.

And then 9 years ago, after he dropped me off at a rehab, he couldnt get anywhere(they wont allow couples into the rehab I went to) and he ended up getting busted again, but not for possession. He was just insanely high. He doesnt even remember getting arrested or going to jail. He ended up just telling the cop everything.

His attorney managed to get that charge to a misdemeanor. But he cant have this on his record and finish a BSN, so we have to get it expunged asap.

He never lost his job through any of that either. He just took a medical leave and went to some rehab house in Detroit and just kicked it on a cot with no medical detox help at all. He has been clean ever since.

Here's what @The Prowler says about people who are in a situation like your husband's @Dove y.

This is the same old story. People are always afraid to examine the effects of intelligence.

Another example:

A disproportionately high number of low IQ people become criminals and go to prison.

But we ignore that, and just say "A disproportionately high number of low income people become criminals and go to prison."

But what is the most significant root cause?

Low IQ results in bad decisions and bad jobs->low income
Low IQ results in bad decisions and breaking the law-> jail time
Low IQ results in bad decisions and missed investment opportunities->the rich high IQ get richer

Unfortunately, Admin, you have demonstrated that you may not be able to grasp this pretty simple concept.

Health workers like him who around the world are sacrificing & putting their lives on the line to protect us in the battle against against COVID. whether they are in the USA Canada & Europe/elsewhere we should cheering them on not bashing them & profiting from their efforts like @The Prowler does.

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
Oh Liar @Joe, give it a rest.

I am analysing statistics and explaining trends.

This is the kind of childish, emotional response that impedes proper analysis.

There are always outliers. Obviously addiction will cause people, stupid people and smart people, to do dumb things.

You are such a baby, @Joe. You think everybody needs to be coddled all the time.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Oh Liar @Joe, give it a rest.

I am analysing statistics and explaining trends.

This is the kind of childish, emotional response that impedes proper analysis.

There are always outliers. Obviously addiction will cause people, stupid people and smart people, to do dumb things.

You are such a baby, @Joe. You think everybody needs to be coddled all the time.

...but you did say that people who get into trouble and hit with criminal records have low IQ @The Prowler.

But just remember Judas her husband is a front line healthcare worker like many around the world who are protecting us in the battle against COVID.

While you Profiteer from Pfizer & the like they put their lives on the line for us.

Don't forget that @The Prowler.

Your greed is made possible by their sacrifice.

Last edited:

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
...but you did say that people who get into trouble and hit with criminal records have low IQ

Low IQ people are incarcerated at a disproportionately high rate. Do these facts make you uncomfortable, Liar @Joe?

BTW, health care workers are allowed to invest in the stock market, Liar @Joe.

Hahahaha!!!!

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
...but you did say that people who get into trouble and hit with criminal records have low IQ

Low IQ people are incarcerated at a disproportionately high rate. Do these facts make you uncomfortable, Liar @Joe?

BTW, health care workers are allowed to invest in the stock market, Liar @Joe.

Hahahaha!!!!

So why are you running down @Dove y's husband Prowler?

Remember Judas, your greed is made possible by his sacrifice and healthcare workers around the world.

Personally I despise Pfizer & companies like that which are profiting from a Pandemic.

You're nothing but a goddamn Neocon

A craven cowardly profiteering Neocon @The Prowler.

Last edited:

The Prowler

Factory Bastard

Liar @Joe, you are the person mentioning Dovey's husband, not me.

It is weird for you to imagine that someone is being attacked.

Remember Judas, your greed is made possible by his sacrifice and healthcare workers around the world.

Personally I despise Pfizer & companies like that which are profiting from a Pandemic.

You're nothing but a goddamn Neocon

A craven cowardly profiteering Neocon @The Prowler.

I know you would rather play the victim, @Joe.

A victim of high rent.

A victim of the IT guy who bullied you.

A victim of Pfizer.

A victim of the traffic cop who fined you when you put other people's lives at risk by texting while speeding.

Victim. Victim.

Victim.

I would rather take steps so I do not have to be a victim.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Liar @Joe, you are the person mentioning Dovey's husband, not me.

It is weird for you to imagine that someone is being attacked.

Read your own words Prowler.

You said the following:

The Prowler said:

"This is the same old story. People are always afraid to examine the effects of intelligence.

Another example:

A disproportionately high number of low IQ people become criminals and go to prison.

But we ignore that, and just say "A disproportionately high number of low income people become criminals and go to prison."

Low IQ results in bad decisions and missed investment opportunities->the rich high IQ get richer

Unfortunately, Admin, you have demonstrated that you may not be able to grasp this pretty simple concept."

....therefore you've indicated that anyone who gets in trouble with the law or goes to jail/prison has a low IQ.

You just said that.

And you blame them entirely for their predicament.

And btw Prowler what about children who are born in unfortunate circumstances - such as being born behind bars because their mothers were incarcerated? Or they were children of drug addicts so they became addicted later in life. Do we condemn, brand & label those children as low IQ too @The Prowler ?

Anyways You're just a goddamn hypocritial GREEDY money grubbing NeoCon who enjoys bashing and hates the poor @The Prowler. Admit it & take time to think before you write.

Because while you think you can get away with lying & massive contradictions your prior statements are there for all to see.

Quit being such a lying sack of shit.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter

Here's what @The Prowler says about people who are in a situation like your husband's @Dove y.

This is the same old story. People are always afraid to examine the effects of intelligence.

Another example:

Unfortunately, Admin, you have demonstrated that you may not be able to grasp this pretty simple concept.

Health workers like him who around the world are sacrificing & putting their lives on the line to protect us in the battle against against COVID. whether they are in the USA Canada & Europe/elsewhere we should cheering them on not bashing them & profiting from their efforts like @The Prowler does.

That's not at all what he is saying. He is talking about people in a cycle of poverty who make poor decisions that guarantee they stay in poverty.

My husband is not in poverty. He does not make stupid financial decisions. He battled a drug addiction and came out the winner and has worked hard to recover(recovery involves rebuilding your life).

He is saying that people who not at all very intelligent and do not consider the future and do not plan well are more likely to be stuck in poverty. He isnt even insulting anyone. It just that people are so used to viewing lower intelligence levels as an insult. Not everyone is gonna be smart. We have people all over the spectrum of intelligence.

As far as drug addiction goes.....that's actually linked to high intelligence. It's a joke in rehab and people say we are so smart we need to numb the pain of reality. Ignorance is bliss.....intelligence is torture.

There is no way I could ever be with a dumb man.

Last edited:

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
He isnt even insulting anyone. It just that people are so used to viewing lower intelligence levels as an insult.

So much truth there.

The inability/unwillingness of decision-makers and other people-in-power to examine the effects of level of intelligence on members of society has been detrimental to society in many ways.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
One example:

Repeating the message "Try hard in school and apply yourself. Do well in school and you will get a good job and have lots of money and have a happy life."

Tell that to a low-IQ person and they will try hard at school. But they will do poorly, because they are low-IQ. Their understanding will then be "Do not get a good job and do not have much money and then have an unhappy life."

That sucks. That is depressing. So when an opportunity to make a lot of money through criminal activity presents itself, can we really blame these people when they take it? Well, apparently, because we toss them in prison.

By not even acknowledging that some people are low-IQ we are just setting them up for failure.

Low-IQ people should be identified early and be given appropriate messaging that gives them hope. And obviously we need to ensure there are positions for them in society where their contributions are valuable and their sense of self-worth is high and they are able to attain a happy life.

OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
He isnt even insulting anyone. It just that people are so used to viewing lower intelligence levels as an insult.

So much truth there.

The inability/unwillingness of decision-makers and other people-in-power to examine the effects of level of intelligence on members of society has been detrimental to society in many ways.

One example:

Repeating the message "Try hard in school and apply yourself. Do well in school and you will get a good job and have lots of money and have a happy life."

Tell that to a low-IQ person and they will try hard at school. But they will do poorly, because they are low-IQ. Their understanding will then be "Do not get a good job and do not have much money and then have an unhappy life."

That sucks. That is depressing. So when an opportunity to make a lot of money through criminal activity presents itself, can we really blame these people when they take it? Well, apparently, because we toss them in prison.

By not even acknowledging that some people are low-IQ we are just setting them up for failure.

Low-IQ people should be identified early and be given appropriate messaging that gives them hope. And obviously we need to ensure there are positions for them in society where their contributions are valuable and their sense of self-worth is high and they are able to attain a happy life.

Even high IQ people will struggle in school due to boredom and lack of challange. Or inability to function well in an institutionalized setting.

There is no reason why people with lower IQs couldnt do well for themselves. They just need the proper opportunities.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Hey Prowler I wanna go over what you said and refute it

The Prowler said:

"This is the same old story. People are always afraid to examine the effects of intelligence.

Another example:

Unfortunately, Admin, you have demonstrated that you may not be able to grasp this pretty simple concept."

------

Here's an example of someone who spent time behind bars:

He lost his father who was killed by a drunk driver when he was 11 and eventually later in his life went astray.

After prison Tim Allen eventually became a success and is now worth Millions.

....Is this an example of a Low IQ person @The Prowler ?

And by any chance do you think that Tim Allen losing his Dad at 11 had something to do with him getting into trouble in his youth.

Or according to you, is Tim Allen, a conservative Republican, an example of a LOW IQ Person?

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I jerked off in josephines salad and he looked like he was on crack cocaine after he ate it!!! FACT!

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
Even high IQ people will struggle in school due to boredom and lack of challange.

I did not struggle in school, but when I was in high school I caused so much shit that they wanted to figure out what was going on. That is when they did an IQ test (and a bunch of physiological tests that were done at a hospital) and they found out that I have a genius level IQ. They figured I was bored. I was also pretty "hyperactive" and probably would have been given drugs nowadaze.

They offered to send me to a school for "gifted" students but I declined. I applied myself in my last two years of high school and got into the top mathematics school in the country.

There is no reason why people with lower IQs couldnt do well for themselves. They just need the proper opportunities.

Yup. Teaching them skills that suit their level of intelligence will bring them a lot more satisfaction than trying to teach them material that they will never grasp. People like to do what they are good at. We have a shortage of skilled trades people because we glorify "Go to university, get a good job!" and the jobs that require a university education end up getting way more respect. We should encourage the right people to learn the trades and take pride in that.

This, I believe, is the reason so many low-IQ people attend secondary education institutions in Liberal Arts types of programs. They get the "prestige" of college or university, but they do not learn anything really useful. I mean, there are several examples of these people right here on this board...

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
Hey Prowler I wanna go over what you said and refute it

The Prowler said:

Another example:

------

Here's an example of someone who spent time behind bars:

He lost his father who was killed by a drunk driver when he was 11 and eventually later in his life went astray.

After prison Tim Allen eventually became a success and is now worth Millions.

....Is this an example of a Low IQ person @The Prowler ?

And by any chance do you think that Tim Allen losing his Dad at 11 had something to do with him getting into trouble in his youth.

Or according to you, is Tim Allen, a conservative Republican, an example of a LOW IQ Person?

I already covered this here:
There are always outliers.

OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Even high IQ people will struggle in school due to boredom and lack of challange.

I did not struggle in school, but when I was in high school I caused so much shit that they wanted to figure out what was going on. That is when they did an IQ test (and a bunch of physiological tests that were done at a hospital) and they found out that I have a genius level IQ. They figured I was bored. I was also pretty "hyperactive" and probably would have been given drugs nowadaze.

They offered to send me to a school for "gifted" students but I declined. I applied myself in my last two years of high school and got into the top mathematics school in the country.

Yup. Teaching them skills that suit their level of intelligence will bring them a lot more satisfaction than trying to teach them material that they will never grasp. People like to do what they are good at. We have a shortage of skilled trades people because we glorify "Go to university, get a good job!" and the jobs that require a university education end up getting way more respect. We should encourage the right people to learn the trades and take pride in that.

This, I believe, is the reason so many low-IQ people attend secondary education institutions in Liberal Arts types of programs. They get the "prestige" of college or university, but they do not learn anything really useful. I mean, there are several examples of these people right here on this board...

I think one of the worst places for a person on the low IQ scale would be trades lol.

Believe me I've seen the results. My high school boyfriend (I had the same boyfriend all through HS and 2 years of college) dad ran a roofing business. Then it expanded to a "home improvement" business. I used to help out in the home office(they ran it through their home) and then I started going out to the work sites and helping.

One of the workers....a very nice guy but not very bright....his name was George(which made his dumbassery funnier). He lived in a camper in my boyfriend's families yard. He was cool as hell but like I said...just not a smart dude at all.

We were out on a site and doing a job that required a power sprayer paint thing. Forgive me I dont know what it's called ....but it was basically a power washer but with paint. You could blast the paint on(an out door job). Well George dropped it, grabbed it while it was on with his bare hand and it shot paint right under his skin from his hand all the way past his elbow. He legit squeezed the paint out of his arm through the hole in his hand....like a tube of tooth paste.

Then a few months later he nail gunned his scrotum to a roof shingle :LOL3:

Poor fucker really had a bad time. And he really wanted to work. Great work ethic.....but a big liability lol

OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Okay so my husband is here tonight and here is our new (to us) car. It's a 2015 Ford Focus. And we actually spent just about 14k.

I know its dark.....he didnt get home until it was dark and he will be gone at work all day tomorrow.

20220228-221043.jpg

20220228-221058.jpg

20220228-221151.jpg

It also has a screen were you can watch yourself hit stuff behind you lol

Writing a check for nearly 14k was painful. You have no idea how hard we worked to squirrel money. Fix credit. Et. I have been such a viligent penny pincher.

We didnt hurt ourselves at all. It's just a big check to write for us. BUT.....we have NO debt and the car is ours completely so....I'm over it. Now that I've seen it I'm all good. Like I said....we are not poor....but we are not ballin like all you guys :D

Such a relief. It sucks when your car shits out of no where that fast. We knew it was coming....it was 2007 Buick ffs.

I'm actually thinking about fixing the head gasket and giving it to my daughter as a beater car. Shes been wanting it.

Last edited:

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter
7 year old vehicles in the US used to be cheap as chips.... after 5 even...

Thank inflation.