Why Orwell Saw Trump Coming and Wrote 1984

Holliday Unchained

Banned
Banned
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

I must say I believe, or fear, that taking the world as a whole these things are on the increase. Hitler, no doubt, will soon disappear, but only at the expense of strengthening (a) Stalin, (b) the Anglo-American millionaires and (c) all sorts of petty fuhrers of the type of de Gaulle. All the national movements everywhere, even those that originate in resistance to German domination, seem to take non-democratic forms, to group themselves round some superhuman fuhrer (Hitler, Stalin, Salazar, Franco, Gandhi, De Valera are all varying examples) and to adopt the theory that the end justifies the means. Everywhere the world movement seems to be in the direction of centralised economies which can be made to ‘work’ in an economic sense but which are not democratically organised and which tend to establish a caste system. With this go the horrors of emotional nationalism and a tendency to disbelieve in the existence of objective truth because all the facts have to fit in with the words and prophecies of some infallible fuhrer. Already history has in a sense ceased to exist, ie. there is no such thing as a history of our own times which could be universally accepted, and the exact sciences are endangered as soon as military necessity ceases to keep people up to the mark. Hitler can say that the Jews started the war, and if he survives that will become official history. He can’t say that two and two are five, because for the purposes of, say, ballistics they have to make four. But if the sort of world that I am afraid of arrives, a world of two or three great superstates which are unable to conquer one another, two and two could become five if the fuhrer wished it. That, so far as I can see, is the direction in which we are actually moving, though, of course, the process is reversible.
As to the comparative immunity of Britain and the USA. Whatever the pacifists etc. may say, we have not gone totalitarian yet and this is a very hopeful symptom. I believe very deeply, as I explained in my book
, in the English people and in their capacity to centralise their economy without destroying freedom in doing so. But one must remember that Britain and the USA haven’t been really tried, they haven’t known defeat or severe suffering, and there are some bad symptoms to balance the good ones. To begin with there is the general indifference to the decay of democracy. Do you realise, for instance, that no one in England under 26 now has a vote and that so far as one can see the great mass of people of that age don’t give a damn for this? Secondly there is the fact that the intellectuals are more totalitarian in outlook than the common people. On the whole the English intelligentsia have opposed Hitler, but only at the price of accepting Stalin. Most of them are perfectly ready for dictatorial methods, secret police, systematic falsification of history etc. so long as they feel that it is on ‘our’ side. Indeed the statement that we haven’t a Fascist movement
in England largely means that the young, at this moment, look for their fuhrer elsewhere. One can’t be sure that that won’t change, nor can one be sure that the common people won’t think ten years hence as the intellectuals do now. I hope they won’t, I even trust they won’t, but if so it will be at the cost of a struggle. If one simply proclaims that all is for the best and doesn’t point to the sinister symptoms, one is merely helping to bring totalitarianism nearer.
You also ask, if I think the world tendency is towards Fascism, why do I support the war. It is a choice of evils—I fancy nearly every war is that. I know enough of British imperialism not to like it, but I would support it against Nazism or Japanese imperialism, as the lesser evil. Similarly I would support the USSR against Germany because I think the USSR cannot altogether escape its past and retains enough of the original ideas of the Revolution to make it a more hopeful phenomenon than Nazi Germany. I think, and have thought ever since the war began, in 1936 or thereabouts, that our cause is the better, but we have to keep on making it the better, which involves constant criticism.

Yours sincerely,
Geo. Orwell

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
More like he saw democRATs and how they use economic and social blackmail to silence people. Ya gaslighting cunt.

OP
OP

Holliday Unchained

Banned
Banned

t is just possible to feel a shred of sympathy with Kellyanne Conway. Stung by incontrovertible evidence that more people were keener on complaining about her boss than supporting him, took refuge in a form of words that would have been hilarious were they not at the same time horribly sinister. But it would be wrong to judge her too harshly for her defence of Sean Spicer’s “alternative facts”. She is a PR, operating in a world where all values are expedient.

It’s useless to pretend that this isn’t all sharply reminiscent of the world of Nineteen Eighty-Four (by coincidence, Orwell died 67 years ago to the day that the anti-Trumpites marched on Washington). Winston Smith, sitting in his cubby-hole at the Ministry of Truth falsifying back-numbers of the Times in accordance with the latest revisionist diktats from on high, deals in “alternative facts”, or rather with deliberate untruths that eventually become facts merely because the former versions of them are no longer around to disturb.

As in the 1930s, war has been at the heart of the corrosion of trust in politicians. The lies over Iraq and the quagmire of Afghanistan were followed by the financial crash of 2008, and bankers’ bonuses – making people far more willing to disbelieve the remote metropolitan media and be drawn to the false dawn promised by Trump.

Yet these are the obvious big lies. There has been a long drift away from rational beliefs that we have watched too passively. Mistrust in facts was sown by the insistence on creationism and climate change denial by politicians and in many US churches. But it’s not just America – in India, government officials say that cows don’t contribute to global warming
. Even universities with their “no platforms” have added yeast to the brew.

Trump is not O’Brien. He is more like a cut-price version of Big Brother himself. Instead of the elite of Nineteen Eighty-Four, who keep Big Brother’s identity a mystery while they keep total control, this Big Brother, with his direct Twitter relationship with his followers, is fully on show. And as Orwell foresaw, his slogan could be “Ignorance is strength”.

But Trump takes doublethink to a new extreme, and if Orwell were alive today, I imagine Trump would amuse and horrify him at the same time. The key message in Nineteen Eighty-Four is that the purpose of propaganda is to narrow and limit human consciousness, confuse human conscience, and control and narrow the range of thinking. As all students of Orwellian literature will recall, Squealer, the propagandist porker in Animal Farm, can “turn black into white” and is expert in “new belief”.

If any Orwellian unmasking of Trump rhetoric begins to hurt him, I imagine the day will come when the president gestures with his characteristic shape-and-pinch hand movement and bellows, “Fake Orwell”.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
More like he saw democRATs and how they use economic and social blackmail to silence people. Ya gaslighting cunt.

They are completely brainwashed useful idiots.

They dont know how to critically think. All it takes for them is nonstop divisive propaganda from the media, corporatists and ruling class spewing opinions and falsehoods and they just run with it.

H doesnt understand 1984. He thinks it's a mindset. He doesnt realize it was literal.

He is completely ignorant to the fact that when authoritarian comes knocking.....its gonna be pushed by every institution, all the mainstream media and all the establishment politicians.

It's the ones with all the political and cultural influence and power. It's the end that inflicts political violence and silences dissent

H is a useful idiot who repeats the acceptable narrative and participates in fostering hatred towards those outside the collective.

And he cannot provide a single actual fact to support his idiotic narrative.

I'd love to see that parts of 1984 that said the media, the famous and wealthy all rejected the authoritarian government and attacked and outcasted everyone who supported it.

OP
OP

Holliday Unchained

Banned
Banned

They dont know how to critically think. All it takes for them is nonstop divisive propaganda from the media, corporatists and ruling class spewing opinions and falsehoods and they just run with it.

H doesnt understand 1984. He thinks it's a mindset. He doesnt realize it was literal.

He is completely ignorant to the fact that when authoritarian comes knocking.....its gonna be pushed by every institution, all the mainstream media and all the establishment politicians.

It's the ones with all the political and cultural influence and power. It's the end that inflicts political violence and silences dissent

H is a useful idiot who repeats the acceptable narrative and participates in fostering hatred towards those outside the collective.

I'd love to see that parts of 1984 that said the media, the famous and wealthy all rejected the authoritarian government and attacked and outcasted everyone who supported it.
Wake up, little useful idjit, the attempt was thwarted, by our democratic institutions (this time).
The attempt was clearly made though (fortunately by an incompetent wannabe dictator and his henchmen) - and continues to be made.

..and you of all people here are an example of the resounding success of that effort.
so much so that as Trump and Big Brother commanded - do not believe what you see and hear, but only what I tell you is true, so you believe.
So successful was he that even now you hear the testimonies of witnesses and see the videos of murders but deny that is what is shown and related.

Next your sick, paranoid ass will be screaming Biden is a pod (okay, well maybe) of alien making and a desperate few in the pentagon are bravely trying to release the facts about the impending alien invasion and enslavement of the better part of humanity. You are as programmed as anyone could be.
Please stop upsetting yourself, fix yourself a sedative and have a nice day - you aren't intellectually, or emotionally equipped to understand things as they are.

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Wake up, little useful idjit, the attempt was thwarted, by our democratic institutions (this time).
The attempt was clearly made though (fortunately by an incompetent wannabe dictator and his henchmen) - and continues to be made.

..and you of all people here are an example of the resounding success of that effort.
so much so that as Trump and Big Brother commanded - do not believe what you see and hear, but only what I tell you is true, so you believe.
So successful was he that even now you hear the testimonies of witnesses and see the videos of murders but deny that is what is shown and related.

Next your sick, paranoid ass will be screaming Biden is a pod (okay, well maybe) of alien making and a desperate few in the pentagon are bravely trying to release the facts about the impending alien invasion and enslavement of the better part of humanity. You are as programmed as anyone could be.
Please stop upsetting yourself, fix yourself a sedative and have a nice day - you aren't intellectually, or emotionally equipped to understand things as they are.
NO YUO, YUO lyin faggit!

Biggie Smiles

I make libturds berry angry. I do!!!
Site Supporter
How many days are we into Bidumb's failure of a presidency and these soytards are still suffering from a terminal case of TDS?

lmao

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
That thing about cow farts is bullshit. I am 100% sure dinosaurs and other pre-historic animals farted more.

Carbon is increasing because 85% globally they have reduced the main carbon sinks, ie the trees. The volcanos keep spewing out CO 2 and 85% of the forests that once sucked up the volcanic emissions are no longer there. Even if you stopped burning fossil fuel tomorrow, it's too late. - by caskur

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
That thing about cow farts is bullshit. I am 100% sure dinosaurs and other pre-historic animals farted more.

Carbon is increasing because 85% globally they have reduced the main carbon sinks, ie the trees. The volcanos keep spewing out CO 2 and 85% of the forests that once sucked up the volcanic emissions are no longer there. Even if you stopped burning fossil fuel tomorrow, it's too late. - by caskur

What happened to those forests?

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter

Change "antifa" to H

FB-IMG-1621279551135.jpg

You are a total useful idiot, H. Completely blinded by partisan brainwashing.

Give Bush a big kiss. It's so cute you still think it's meany Republicans(conservatives). Whatever MSNBC says, amirite?

deport_liberals

Banned
Banned
TRUMP is hated by those who want to control us. TRUMP couldn't care less about controlling us. He just wants our love.

He just wants to be king of the world, and he understands absolutely nothing about economics, the law, history, or humanity.
Really I can't think of a single thing He did that made my life worse. In contrast to every other President in my lifetime.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Give Bush a big kiss.
Go give the corporatist billionaire who stacked his cabinet with corporate CEOs and loves dummies like you because they are so easy to fool a ten center, putin parrot.

Whatever MSNBC says, amirite?
Link?

I didnt vote for Biden.

Facts are not on your side, H. That's why you never post any.

Even after you waste your time here blathering delusional hogwash....you are STILL wrong. Wrong AF.

OP
OP

Holliday Unchained

Banned
Banned
Facts are not on your side, H. That's why you never post any.
Link?

Why don't you quit just making shit up out of thin air and support, with a Link, what you say?

.Because you can't that's why. Still waiting for links in support of all your crazy statements. How many now 25, 30, 40? Still waiting for you to trace the evolution of the US Constitution and legal system based on the Bible - LoLz

Everyone knows - you can give it up now.

PS: I don't watch TV news, and I have no allusions about the government being pure and honest in it's dealings with the people, or lining up on one side of the ball - like you do. That's why I started the anti-LibiCon movement ages ago.

Oh - but because I happen to agree with some statement or action a person, any person, makes that doesn't signal total alliance as it does for you.

Say something about Trump's views tactics, policies that you don't agree with. Come on my little conspiracy theory lemming, give being non-partisan a try.

I've been critical of Biden, Clinton, Debbie Wasserworn, Obama et al.
All you do is make sweeping statements and then deny when others have given specifics.

Troll on, putinist parrot.

Oh and PPS: If you don't like paying taxes you can always leave for the shining shores of a country in which there is no tax levied.

Last edited: