All kidding aside, this Condo Collapse is a horrible tragedy.

Adam Hitler

110/14/88
Site Supporter
i heard they r rotating out the cadaver dogs cause they get depressed and dont wanna work anymore

It's got to be a horribly disturbing job. And dogs need to be happy, too, just like people. They're sensitive.

As if the people who train worker dogs give a shit whether the animals are happy or not, have you seen how thoroughly depressed guide dogs always look?

• Interesting
Reactions: Joe

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
i heard they r rotating out the cadaver dogs cause they get depressed and dont wanna work anymore

It's got to be a horribly disturbing job. And dogs need to be happy, too, just like people. They're sensitive.

As if the people who train worker dogs give a shit whether the animals are happy or not, have you seen how thoroughly depressed guide dogs always look?

...not like their bruthas and sistahs who git to frolick on the beach, eh?

dog-01-gl0016-01p.jpg

There's clearly a class hierarchy/system goin' on in the Canine world, eh.

The ones who get to enjoy 'the dog's life' and the ones who don't. ;-)

Adam Hitler

110/14/88
Site Supporter
I'm serious, Joseph! I've lost count of the number of times I've felt like adopting a miserable, oppressed doggo after witnessing their mistreatment out in public by some worthless, entitled, fuckwit who thinks they can do as they please just because they have a 'disability'.

The government throws money at these people too, which is another kick in the face for people who work.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I'm serious, Joseph! I've lost count of the number of times I've felt like adopting a miserable, oppressed doggo after witnessing their mistreatment out in public by some worthless, entitled, fuckwit who thinks they can do as they please just because they have a 'disability'.

The government throws money at these people too, which is another kick in the face for people who work.

Walking/Seeing Eye Dogs.

Yeah I seen em.

They look like Slave Dogs.

Somewhat sad looking.

If only they could be free like the rest of 'em.

But I imagine some breeds just aren't suitable for that kinda work.

I mean, how many pit bulls have you seen working a seeing eye dogs?

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

...not like their bruthas and sistahs who git to frolick on the beach, eh?

dog-01-gl0016-01p.jpg

There's clearly a class hierarchy/system goin' on in the Canine world, eh.

The ones who get to enjoy 'the dog's life' and the ones who don't. ;-)

Actually, dogs like having a job.

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

Walking/Seeing Eye Dogs.

Yeah I seen em.

They look like Slave Dogs.

Somewhat sad looking.

If only they could be free like the rest of 'em.

But I imagine some breeds just aren't suitable for that kinda work.

I mean, how many pit bulls have you seen working a seeing eye dogs?

Pitbulls make excellent support dogs. I don't know about seeing eye dogs, but they are really good at keeping track of their person's needs and of providing comfort. They love having a job, too, and are super attentive.

I think if all work dogs have a good balance of play time and love from their people, then they are happy. Working them too hard is, of course, horrible, though.

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
Joe Lloyd Wright has spoken.

Now, surely, we'll all be architechturally safe.

My money's on Oerdin for the delivery of sound info on the matter. The man seems to know what he's talking about.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

My money's on Oerdin for the delivery of sound info on the matter. The man seems to know what he's talking about.

Assuming you aren't being sarcastic, thank you. The CNN report was basically saying it takes around 30 years for beachfront property to need major maintenance and repairs (salt corrosion is a major issue) and it is up to HOAs and Condo Associations to fund the needed repairs but most haven't put aside cash to do so and are now left with multimillion dollar repair bills and owners who can't afford the needed huge increases in association dues.

Levon

Philosopher King
Site Supporter
John D. MacDonald, a writer best known for his detective fiction and the Travis McGee series in particular, wrote Condominium over 40 years ago. It's fiction except MacDonald lived the last 3 decades of his life in south Florida and had a good eye. I just now thought to check the novel's listing on Goodreads to see if there were any recent comments. And there were. Good reading, still timely I think.

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Assuming you aren't being sarcastic, thank you. The CNN report was basically saying it takes around 30 years for beachfront property to need major maintenance and repairs (salt corrosion is a major issue) and it is up to HOAs and Condo Associations to fund the needed repairs but most haven't put aside cash to do so and are now left with multimillion dollar repair bills and owners who can't afford the needed huge increases in association dues.

That's why I'd never buy a condo practically anywhere.
Unless it was just a brand spanking new building a person was gonna rent out for extra revenue.
And then get rid of it before its best due date.

I have a relative who lives in one, the building's getting old.
And every 5 to 10 years or so, they bring around their tithe plate and ask him to caught up $10,000 or more for the buildings's repairs. So the only way he can keep up with their demands is to do a reverse mortgge.

And I suppose at the end of his life, he really won't own anything, cuz he's done all these reverse mortgage on it.

Just the way God...er the the Building owners intended it.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
One possible partial solution is changing regulations to require HOAs/Condo Associations to fund greater reserves over the long haul. Often they want to keep costs low so keep HOA fees low for the first 30 years but then after the deferred maintenance piles up and the costs get astronomical then no one can afford it. Requiring them to save a little over the long term every month might mean they have something in the piggy bank when repairs are needed 30 years later.

Another frequent problem is elderly retirees. They buy a unit in a new building and want costs to stay low because they are on a fixed income. They often are betting they die of old age before the big repairs are needed.

• Interesting

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
One possible partial solution is changing regulations to require HOAs/Condo Associations to fund greater reserves over the long haul. Often they want to keep costs low so keep HOA fees low for the first 30 years but then after the deferred maintenance piles up and the costs get astronomical then no one can afford it. Requiring them to save a little over the long term every month might mean they have something in the piggy bank when repairs are needed 30 years later.

Another frequent problem is elderly retirees. They buy a unit in a new building and want costs to stay low because they are on a fixed income. They often are betting they die of old age before the big repairs are needed.

Yeah, that's exactly the situation my relative finds himself in.

You've described his situation to the tee.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Unless it was just a brand spanking new building a person was gonna rent out for extra revenue.

And every 5 to 10 years or so, they bring around their tithe plate and ask him to caught up $10,000 or more for the buildings's repairs. So the only way he can keep up with their demands is to do a reverse mortgge.

And I suppose at the end of his life, he really won't own anything, cuz he's done all these reverse mortgage on it.

It is a problem. Especially as that reverse mortgage might fund their here and now but it also means they leave their kids very little. Certainly not that real-estate.

Last edited:

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
....the concrete columns did not have enough structural support as it appears that the builders did not have enough steel to reinforce them:

Engineers studying the collapsed Florida tower said there seemed to be less steel reinforcement in certain areas than would have been expected from the 1979 design drawings.

By
and

July 3, 2021

Engineers who have visited or examined photos of the wreckage of the Champlain Towers South condominium complex have been struck by a possible flaw in its construction: Critical places near the base of the building appeared to use less steel reinforcement than called for in the project’s original design drawings.

columns_annotate_new-Artboard_1_copy_2.jpg

The observation is the first detail to emerge pointing to a potential problem in the quality of construction of the 13-story condo tower in Surfside, Fla., that collapsed last month, killing at least 24 and leaving up to 121 still unaccounted for.
Reached by phone, Allyn E. Kilsheimer, a forensic engineering expert hired by the town of Surfside to investigate the collapse, said the investigation was still in its early stages. But he confirmed there were signs that the amount of steel used to connect concrete slabs below a parking deck to the building’s vertical columns might be less than what the project’s initial plans specified.

That might be a problem, if true, you'd have to check with the regulators and the original engineering company to see if a variance was issued plus you'd need to see if the inspectors noted a variance from the original plans. On most large construction projects hundreds of variances can be issued for literally dozens and dozens of reasons.

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

That is just horrible.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

That is just horrible.

Actually, it's reality.

My uncle said last time the Condo Association asked him to pay $10,000 for building repairs on the other side of the building even tho what they were trying to repair didn't even affect him.

So if you buy inta those things, you pay to repair somebody else's problems even if it doesn't affect you.

I guess it would akin to a person living on a housing block, and they end up paying for the neighbor's plumbing repairs even tho it doesn't affect them.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
It is worth noting the decision to defer maintenance was made by the association members themselves. So part of the blame must fall upon themselves. After all, the chose to be penny wise and pound foolish.

• Interesting

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
It is worth noting the decision to defer maintenance was made by the association members themselves. So part of the blame must fall upon themselves. After all, the chose to be penny wise and pound foolish.

So, in other words what you're saying is that even if some condo owners tried to do the right thing by voting for the repairs, they get screwed anyways, because all that damage due to negelct falls on their shoulders too because the others voted against it.

Is that a correct interpretation of your post?

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️

Nope, not sarcastic (I know, it's against type for me). What caught my eye is that, when asked a question a few days ago to which you weren't sure about the answer, you actually said you that weren't sure about the answer.

That shot you up several rungs on my "ladder of trustworthiness."

There are already too many **COUGH**Doveys**COUGH** in the world who know everything about everything. Who needs more?

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

So, in other words what you're saying is that even if some condo owners tried to do the right thing by voting for the repairs, they get screwed anyways, because all that damage due to negelct falls on their shoulders too because the others voted against it.

Is that a correct interpretation of your post?

Sounds correct. Members of the HOA/Condo Association are elected among their fellow owners. It is frequently an issue that some owners get upset when asked to shell out cash and try to unseat members who push for repairs to not be deferred.

My father served on four different HOA boards over the years (he was a life long real estate investor) and I can remember one place we lived when I was 16 which was made up of townhouses. They had been made in the mid 1970's and the original developer had wanted to save money by not fully grading the hilly parcel; instead they built wooden townhouses on stilts and only graded the roadways which was the minimum requirements at that time (around 1975).

So 19 years later wooden decks were rotted because people put planters right on the wood and left them there for 19 years watering every day so the wood started rotting. In addition, the untreated lumber used had some termit infestation problems. My dad was one of the board members and successfully pushed to have the HOA carry out its legal obligation to fix the damage and install new wood where needed. This meant monthly HOA fees would go up about $150 per month. They got it done but there was a very vocal minority who tried doing recalls and trying to stop it simply because they didn't want to pay anything. Even though damage left unrepaired would have worsened and cost even more in the future.

It was especially a problem for the elderly retirees who just didn't want to pay any more (or who simply couldn't pay more). I remember a neighbor on one side of our house was a Pearl Harbor vet on a Navy Pension and he was especially vocal in opposition despite the fact that his own deck was falling apart and was deemed unsafe by inspectors.

Last edited:
  • Interesting

SHAMPAIN

Vape Nation
Site Supporter ☠️
Politics
I've been watching this thread for a while and left it but it's TIME
LVJ5QbZ.gif

PLEASE BEHAVE FRIENDS!!! It's not hard to show respect, a man lives by few things and respect is one of those things...

SHAMPAIN

Vape Nation
Site Supporter ☠️
@Levon why and what do you disagree with? It used to be the lack of moderation now it's too much over a statement about respect? Well you fuckin WILL respect the guy who runs the site and if you're feeling like you don't need to I'll make sure you do then if you're still being a cunt he'll bring the hammer out, it's the general law of forums... Respect it or don't and go back to that tranny yucker... gooo

Biggie Smiles

I make libturds berry angry. I do!!!
Site Supporter
All kidding aside I think Admin is having an anxiety attack now that he can't TDS spam all over the place.

Biggie Smiles

I make libturds berry angry. I do!!!
Site Supporter
@Levon why and what do you disagree with? It used to be the lack of moderation now it's too much over a statement about respect? Well you fuckin WILL respect the guy who runs the site and if you're feeling like you don't need to I'll make sure you do then if you're still being a cunt he'll bring the hammer out, it's the general law of forums... Respect it or don't and go back to that tranny yucker... gooo