ANOTHER SHARK DEATH

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter
Actually, I just googled and you are right....omg... you call gummy shark, flake, on your side of the country..

It just goes to show how Aussies are duped in fish n chip shops...

All shark over here is flake, but gummy is the cheapest and very delicious.

Are you sure you've not confused NZ Hake with our Flake.

The cheap fish and chip shops seem to peddle it... since they can get it prebreaded and frozen.

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter
@Omnipotent they were talking about strategically placing barriers in the Swan today on the radio. A fisherman also caught a 3m Bull Shark which they think might be the one. I guess we’ll find out tomorrow after they do an autopsy on the shark I guess?

OP
OP
Omnipotent

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
All shark over here is flake, but gummy is the cheapest and very delicious.

Are you sure you've not confused NZ Hake with our Flake.

The cheap fish and chip shops seem to peddle it... since they can get it prebreaded and frozen.

Yes, I did confuse hake with flake...

They call fish and chips here snapper and it isn't snapper....
(I grew up on snapper and dhufish caught by my uncle) it's shark or hake (from NZ) Shark is yummy and Hake is completely tasteless.

Sorry, my mistake about flake.... just don't ask for flake if you come to WA... just ask for gummy.

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter

(I grew up on snapper and dhufish caught by my uncle) it's shark or hake (from NZ) Shark is yummy and Hake is completely tasteless.

Sorry, my mistake about flake.... just don't ask for flake if you come to WA... just ask for gummy.
One of the first fish I caught in WA was a 10kg Dhufish on a handline. The big Serbian whose boat I was on believed in giving the fish a fighting chance. It’s a helluva workout particularly when you’re also pulling up the heavy sinkers that got you to the reef quickly.

OP
OP
Omnipotent

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
All we ever got as kids was gummy shark or bronze whaler from fish and chip shops..

But we also got real chips not those horrible dried out frozen chips people endure these days.

I worked in a fish and chip shop part time when I was 17 in Palmyra.

I used to put potatoes in a machine that looked like a cement mixer and the machine rolled around skinning the potatoes. The shop owner then spent all afternoon pre-cooking them until they were soft. The chips got re-cooked until they were golden brown on the outside and light and fluffy and moist on the inside when people asked for orders.

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter

Don't worry... I've realized every state has different names for fried foods and some cold cuts.

Ie....scallops in NSW and Pluto Pups as well are just potato cakes and dicks in batter...

Must be to work up the prices to something sounding like seafood or interplanetary cuisine. Muy exotica! Lulz

OP
OP
Omnipotent

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
One of the first fish I caught in WA was a 10kg Dhufish on a handline. The big Serbian whose boat I was on believed in giving the fish a fighting chance. It’s a helluva workout particularly when you’re also pulling up the heavy sinkers that got you to the reef quickly.

The smaller the fish (legally sized that is) the better the quality... so I would pick a small to medium sized snapper or dhufish before a big one...

The reason.... younger fish are sweeter and 2) big fish can poision you... it has something to do with concentrated algae... I will go look it up.

OP
OP
Omnipotent

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Ciguatera fish poisoning

Many species of fish have been known to cause ciguatera poisoning in humans. The toxin does not affect the appearance, odour or taste of the fish and is not destroyed by cooking, refrigeration or freezing.

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter
The smaller the fish (legally sized that is) the better the quality... so I would pick a small to medium sized snapper or dhufish before a big one...

The reason.... younger fish are sweeter and 2) big fish can poision you... it has something to do with concentrated algae... I will go look it up.
Not necessarily with Dhufish because of their rich diet of crustaceans and shellfish. Back in South Africa we fished for a similar fish with the same diet called a Musselcracker. Size didn’t necessarily affect the taste of the fish.

images

I fished the Swan for over ten years…mainly for Black Bream. And that was definitely the case with regard to smaller sizes being the tastiest.

OP
OP
Omnipotent

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Lol... my brother illegally fished the river.... stripped down naked and caught the spawning mullet or bream whatever in his net in the middle of the night and smoked them... but my brother has lived up in Dongara near my uncle... they fish there.. I only get crays now and again these days.

My grandfather dead since the 1980s used to feed his family by setting traps for rabbits, and crabs in the river when Bicton was a mere bush...

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter
Lol... my brother illegally fished the river.... stripped down naked and caught the spawning mullet or bream whatever in his net in the middle of the night and smoked them... but my brother has lived up in Dongara near my uncle... they fish there.. I only get crays now and again these days.

My grandfather dead since the 1980s used to feed his family by setting traps for rabbits, and crabs in the river when Bicton was a mere bush...
I did a similar thing with regard to baits. I netted prawns, potty mullet, black crabs and bloodworms. I picked a particular seaweed off the rocks in Cottesloe for my greens. This was when I was on the bones of my arse and a student. I got by nicely though…I have some great memories living in Perth.

OP
OP
Omnipotent

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
That is why I am not worried about a great depression... I can live off my coast... I know where the cobbler live...the mussels are... I can eat squid... herring, whiting... prawns, crabs...

I would like to know more about what seaweeds are edible though... I LOVE SUSHIE wrapped in seaweed.

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter
That is why I am not worried about a great depression... I can live off my coast... I know where the cobbler live...the mussels are... I can eat squid... herring, whiting... prawns, crabs...

I would like to know more about what seaweeds are edible though... I LOVE SUSHIE wrapped in seaweed.

When it's a bonus, one generally catches heaps... more than they could ever eat...

But when it's dire, all bets are off.