Blazor, have you ever used one of these?

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
...since you said you were in the printing/graphic arts industry....

02_Large%20Format_Photo%20Printers_1

OP
OP
Joe

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
A plotter, yes, that model, no.

Which models have you used?

How wide?

I was interested in a large format color printer from Canon -

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

s-l300.jpg

At $1300, price doesn't seem too expensive.

Are they any good?

Which model(s) do you prefer?

Seems you could print a lotta Dixie flags with that thing!

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter

Are they any good?

Doesnt "seem", but them bitches are a pain in the ass, and EAT ink, and the paper is EXPENSIVE.

You're better off just paying for the copies you need from a local source.

OP
OP
Joe

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Are they any good?

Doesnt "seem", but them bitches are a pain in the ass, and EAT ink, and the paper is EXPENSIVE.

...even a Canon, eh?

The reviews say that the HP's are the ones which are the pain in the ass, but Canon are only slightly behind in that dept:

If you're buying this machine to print on anything other than roll-fed printer paper, be aware. Trying to load sheets into the top is an exercise in pure frustration. I have spent on average an hour of hair-pulling grief for every one sheet I manage to actually load into this thing. The sheets are always askew (even when perfectly aligned with the "guide marks", and it just makes me start again. Ad nauseum. I'm haunting Canon when I am finally allowed to perish. When you actually DO get it to take the paper however, it's quiet and the quality is decent, which is why I can't in good conscience, rate it a single star.

...another...

I picked this model based on all of my previous experience with Canon printers and plotters. I've had nothing but bad experiences with HP, which is what I was replacing with this purchase. My old HP T730 still worked fine, but the print time and technical issues were driving me crazy, so I sold the HP and bought this Canon TA-20. The setup was a simple process of following prompts and directions, and within 20-minutes of starting the setup process, I was printing 24" x 30" architectural drawings. I printed 33 sheets @ 24" x 30", in color, in less time that it would have taken me to print 10 sheets, in B&W, on my old HP, which cost 3 times as much as this Canon. I am currently 100% satisfied.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Not that exact model but in my line of work we often use similar style printers to print building plans, geologic maps, and topographic maps.

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter

Are they any good?

...even a Canon, eh?

The reviews say that the HP's are the ones which are the pain in the ass, but Canon are only slightly behind in that dept:

If you're buying this machine to print on anything other than roll-fed printer paper, be aware. Trying to load sheets into the top is an exercise in pure frustration. I have spent on average an hour of hair-pulling grief for every one sheet I manage to actually load into this thing. The sheets are always askew (even when perfectly aligned with the "guide marks", and it just makes me start again. Ad nauseum. I'm haunting Canon when I am finally allowed to perish. When you actually DO get it to take the paper however, it's quiet and the quality is decent, which is why I can't in good conscience, rate it a single star.

...another...

I picked this model based on all of my previous experience with Canon printers and plotters. I've had nothing but bad experiences with HP, which is what I was replacing with this purchase. My old HP T730 still worked fine, but the print time and technical issues were driving me crazy, so I sold the HP and bought this Canon TA-20. The setup was a simple process of following prompts and directions, and within 20-minutes of starting the setup process, I was printing 24" x 30" architectural drawings. I printed 33 sheets @ 24" x 30", in color, in less time that it would have taken me to print 10 sheets, in B&W, on my old HP, which cost 3 times as much as this Canon. I am currently 100% satisfied.

Yeah HP is shit. Our plotter is a Canon. Im just saying, the rolls of paper are expensive. And if you dont use up the whole sheet, you wind up wasting a lot of paper.

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter
Not that exact model but in my line of work we often use similar style printers to print building plans, geologic maps, and topographic maps.

I use to clean for an architecture firm, they used them a lot too.

OP
OP
Joe

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

What's the usual output size you use?

D sized - 24" x 36"?

or bigger ?

E-Sized 36" 48"?

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
The ones at my previous two employers were the big rolling paper plotters. I believe they were 48" wide and however long as needed. We'd roll up the finished plans (which might be 30-40 sheets on some projects) and they'd be a tight fit in the back of my truck. You wanted them fairly large though so you cod accurately plot things on the plans without really crowding the map. That helped the GIS people do an accurate final electronic plot.

OP
OP
Joe

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
The ones at my previous two employers were the big rolling paper plotters. I believe they were 48" wide and however long as needed. We'd roll up the finished plans (which might be 30-40 sheets on some projects) and they'd be a tight fit in the back of my truck. You wanted them fairly large though so you cod accurately plot things on the plans without really crowding the map. That helped the GIS people do an accurate final electronic plot.

Yeah, I seem to remember that site plans or GIS/geological surveys require E sized sheets.
I used to draft them by hand.
But house plans can be put on D sized sheets, though I think large structures such as high rises might require E sized sheets.

Anyways, thanks for the info.

OP
OP
Joe

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Joe you're such a nerd!

...somewhat true.

And guess what? I'm becoming even nerdier since this Pandemic.

ie - everything is being moved online. You have to do everything increasingly for yourself on the Internet.

So it forces a person to become more of a nerd.

Even to make a living now, we need to do it online.

OP
OP
Joe

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
It's ok man, I think most of us have a nerdy streak...

I'm partial to Batman and retro 90's WWF rasslin' ffs. Confused 5

I'm lookin into getting a Netflix account.

Do they have Netflix in Britain? They must, eh?

It's not so much that I'm inta that kind of online entertainment, as to stay current
I know I'm getting dated by not being exposed to it to this new mainstream culture often enough.

Like or hate it, Even if this mainstream isn't that great, still good ta know more about the latest trends.

Adam Hitler

110/14/88
Site Supporter
Yeah we have it here, but I would never pay to watch that leftist propaganda outlet....

The poido scandal they had a few months back should have ruined them, but it's been forgotten about.

It just goes to show how fucked western society is nowadays when sexualising children receives less bad press and public outrage than racism and un-PC views.

OP
OP
Joe

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Yeah we have it here, but I would never pay to watch that leftist propaganda outlet....

The poido scandal they had a few months back should have ruined them, but it's been forgotten about.

It just goes to show how fucked western society is nowadays when sexualising children receives less bad press and public outrage than racism and un-PC views.

Yeah, everything is becoming so politicized now.

Even sports. I actually used to like watching basketball until the NBA endorsed BLM.

I mean, WTF? I didn't watch it because of the player's race, just if they could put the ball in the hoop and provide entertainment.

Same thing happened to hockey, where the best player in the NHL, a White Canadian, was criticized for not being political and bowing on one knee or hating Trump.

These guys were never trained ta be politicians of social activists, but athletes.

I don't know if soccer has become that polarized, but the political bs has become too much & it's starting to take over professional sports in North America.

Adam Hitler

110/14/88
Site Supporter

Yeah, everything is becoming so politicized now.

Even sports. I actually used to like watching basketball until the NBA endorsed BLM.

I mean, WTF? I didn't watch it because of the player's race, just if they could put the ball in the hoop and provide entertainment.

Same thing happened to hockey, where the best player in the NHL, a White Canadian, was criticized for not being political and bowing on one knee or hating Trump.

These guys were never trained ta be politicians of social activists, but athletes.

I don't know if soccer has become that polarized, but the political bs has become too much & it's starting to take over professional sports in North America.

It's the same here with football, the players have been ordered to bend the knee or face being vilified as racist.

The problem is, the people pushing this shit are ridiculously wealthy and have endless resources, something which us little people can't compete with.