Cooking on a Budget

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
My food money comes from SNAP assistance and don't have a bank account.

That is fine. What I am telling you is they have food distributions every day of the week where they give all sorts of food to everyone who shows up. In addition you can go once every three months to each food bank for "emergency food assistance " and there are five or six food bamks in our county. What does that mean? If means every month you can get an additional $200 (approximately) in all manner of food without breaking any rules. You can even get pet food.

So you won't have to spend any money on food you cook yourself at all. Check the websites I listed.

Jeannie

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
my brother would tease me while eating them and suck them up through greasy lips

i would rather go cannibal

RANCIDMILKO ™ ®©

Don't touch my bike. Wooooooo.
Site Supporter ☠️
I've seen a lot of people professing their hate for the little canned fish, but I kinda got used to them, acquired taste for sure.

I like the ones that come with a bit of tomato sauce, much better than the ones with only oil, those taste bland, I hate them

I always have one or two cans in my pantry, they are great for a late night snack when the you have the munchies.

You can make a great dip with them too, almost as good as tuna if you prepare it right

Jeannie

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I've seen a lot of people professing their hate for the little canned fish, but I kinda got used to them, acquired taste for sure.

I like the ones that come with a bit of tomato sauce, much better than the ones with only oil, those taste bland, I hate them

I always have one or two cans in my pantry, they are great for a late night snack when the you have the munchies.

You can make a great dip with them too, almost as good as tuna if you prepare it right
working it into the food is different

u like anchovies too?

RANCIDMILKO ™ ®©

Don't touch my bike. Wooooooo.
Site Supporter ☠️
working it into the food is different

u like anchovies too?
I think I tried that once, pretty nasty

In Brazil we also consume dried codfish (or a similar fish, but they're all called "bacalhau" when they're dry)

Usually around Easter, but it makes for a nice stew if prepared correctly. The most important part is leaving it in water overnight to remove the excess salt.

Anchovies smell like bacalhau, but a lot stronger.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

The go well with pasta especially if you chop up some black olives, capers, and sprinkle with parmisan cheese.

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter
my brother would tease me while eating them and suck them up through greasy lips

i would rather go cannibal

Lol, I would tease my wife and son too, in a Spongebob voice, breathing it out, going "easy like a Sunday mooooooooorniiiiiiiiiing" lolololol

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
I only like anchovy paste in Caesar salad… otherwise, I find them too salty to enjoy on their own.

I like PB&Js with Wonder bread.

OP
OP
THROB

THROB

Factory Bastard
OL2ZEuS.jpg

Yesterdays lunch at the work picnic.

- 3 hotdog rolls
- 3 hotdogs
- 4-6 donuts

You have to eat the entire hotdog before biting donut.

• Interesting
Reactions: Joe

Jeannie

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
^ and thats how poor ppl die of obesity rather than starvation

'america - the land of too much plenty'

• Interesting
Reactions: Joe

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Yesterday's supper - Had a bowl of chili I got from the supermarket for $4 Canadian ($3 US) + Head of Brocolli (.50 US) + Wild Salmon Fillet ($3.50 US) + Side of rice (.50 US).

so that's about $7.50 US.

Still got 2/3 of the chili as left overs from yesterday.

so, that was a nutritious meal.

Healthy too.

so it can be done on a budget if ya know where ta look.

I eat a lotta seafood where I live cuz it's so cheap compared to meat.
Same nutritional protein value or better.
On the West Coast seafood is plentiful.

I can often find a fillet of salmon + a package of clams for $5 US.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
If you really want to save money buy a roce cooker and a 25lb bag of rice for $12. You can work rice into most meals and the rice cooker will cook it properly automatically so no fuss.

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
It’s not hard to eat clean tbh. My brother is on a tight budget with 4 small kids at home and one income and they make it work.

OP
OP
THROB

THROB

Factory Bastard
I never eat fruit or vegetables, except beans.
A lot of white bread, ham and mustard sandwiches.
pickles and kraft macaroni and cheese is what i eat for lunches.
chx fingers from burger king because they're across the street.
i go into fast food joints and steal flavors and sauce packets for my Ramon.
I ate steak over the holidays but too much money.

mostly spaghetti. everyday or 6 days a week.

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
I eat a lot of veggies, rice/rice noodles or potatoes as my starch and small amounts of protein (meat) each week because I have to for the iron and minerals.

But I avoid condiments like the plague. I also don’t eat gluten, sugar and dairy. I’ll make exceptions on holidays.

But I am home and have the luxury of being able to cook, which makes it easier on the budget and it’s healthier than eating out. I like to cook healthy versions of classic comfort food.

Last edited:

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I eat a lot of veggies, rice/rice noodles or potatoes as my starch and small amounts of protein (meat) each week because I have to for the iron and minerals.

But I avoid condiments like the plague. I also don’t eat gluten, sugar and dairy. I’ll make exceptions on holidays.

But I am home and have the luxury of being able to cook, which makes it easier on the budget and it’s healthier than eating out. I like to cook healthy versions of classic comfort food.

potato is better... when I eat pasta or rice or bread my blood sugar meter goes up.... when I eat potato, it doesn't move. Potato is maligned but it doesnt deserve to be... fries yes but potato is 80% water.

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
OL2ZEuS.jpg

Yesterdays lunch at the work picnic.

- 3 hotdog rolls
- 3 hotdogs
- 4-6 donuts

You have to eat the entire hotdog before biting donut.

Your diet is so bad, I would be ashamed to show the shit you eat... I predict you'll be dead by 50.

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
potato is better... when I eat pasta or rice or bread my blood sugar meter goes up.... when I eat potato, it doesn't move. Potato is maligned but it doesnt deserve to be... fries yes but potato is 80% water.

I LOVE potatoes. I’m part Irish, so I grew up with my Irish grandmother making them mashed and roasted and serving them both in the same meal. So delish. But I have noticed they keep me thicc because I can’t have them without butter or gravy or roasted in EVOO, herbs & s&p, so I try not to eat them with every meal.

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter
Love taters. Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew!

I bet a lot of y'all have never had fried mashed tater patties. Pretty good use of leftover mashed taters, and go great for breakfast.

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
Love taters. Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew!

I bet a lot of y'all have never had fried mashed tater patties. Pretty good use of leftover mashed taters, and go great for breakfast.

Wait… you have leftover mash????

How is that possible!

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter
Wait… you have leftover mash????

How is that possible!

Only when I make it homemade with real taters lol. I'll make extra.

Most time, I jus do the Idaho dehydrated shit. I'll put half on my plate, eat it, then be like "naaaahhh.... Im gonna eat 'em all" lol.

I CRAVE taters. Especially french fries, ESPECIALLY now with an air fryer lol.

Omnipotent

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I LOVE potatoes. I’m part Irish, so I grew up with my Irish grandmother making them mashed and roasted and serving them both in the same meal. So delish. But I have noticed they keep me thicc because I can’t have them without butter or gravy or roasted in EVOO, herbs & s&p, so I try not to eat them with every meal.

That isn't making you fat... whatever you drink makes you fat....