I Hate Racism More Than Anyone But........

Alticus

Mr. Excitement
Site Supporter ☠️
It would be nice to get a cab driver that actually speaks English well enough to not have to rely on GPS and me pointing the way to get from A-B. A few years ago many of the drivers in my city were English speaking and many lived in the same city. Now most of the drivers are from Afghanistan and other places in the ME. I respect the fact that are working and have families to support but damn! I just want to get down to the local Walmart already. Anyone here experiencing this in your city?

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
It would be nice to get a cab driver that actually speaks English well enough to not have to rely on GPS and me pointing the way to get from A-B. A few years ago many of the drivers in my city were English speaking and many lived in the same city. Now most of the drivers are from Afghanistan and other places in the ME. I respect the fact that are working and have families to support but damn! I just want to get down to the local Walmart already. Anyone here experiencing this in your city?

Do you think they rely on GPS because, being immigrants, they may not know the area as well as you do? Is GPS wrong, you think?

OP
OP
Alticus

Alticus

Mr. Excitement
Site Supporter ☠️
In all fairness though, living in an English speaking country and city shouldn't the citizens paying for a ride at least get a driver that can speak their language? Especially when dealing with the public?

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
In all fairness though, living in an English speaking country and city shouldn't the citizens paying for a ride at least get a driver that can speak their language? Especially when dealing with the public?

It would be ideal. What is the remedy though? You tell me.

OP
OP
Alticus

Alticus

Mr. Excitement
Site Supporter ☠️
Ummm...hire drivers that can speak the language of the given country and city they work in. Especially when doing a job that requires communication between the driver and passenger.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Ummm...hire drivers that can speak the language of the given country and city they work in. Especially when doing a job that requires communication between the driver and passenger.

Do you think these companies discriminate against English speakers? Seems to me, if they applied they probably would be hired.

OP
OP
Alticus

Alticus

Mr. Excitement
Site Supporter ☠️
Do you think these companies discriminate against English speakers? Seems to me, if they applied they probably would be hired.
Actually, yes. There are plenty of English speaking people that could drive a cab. I'm not saying that every single driver is a foreigner but many if not hired, make a federal cases out of it and complain.

Admin.

All that glitters, is not gold.
Site Supporter ☠️
Could you take him in a fight, I mean if you wanted to?

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Actually, yes. There are plenty of English speaking people that could drive a cab. I'm not saying that every single driver is a foreigner but many if not hired, make a federal cases out of it and complain.

How do you know who is applying? I'm sure that most of the people in your community are English speakers, it's Canada. How do you know they are applying for the job of driving a taxi?

OP
OP
Alticus

Alticus

Mr. Excitement
Site Supporter ☠️
How do you know who is applying? I'm sure that most of the people in your community are English speakers, it's Canada. How do you know they are applying for the job of driving a taxi?
I'm really glad I posted this thread.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I'm really glad I posted this thread.

Do I sense a big dose of sarcasm? Lol

I'm asking questions that make us think about the possibilities rather than making assumptions. I think a lot of immigrants take jobs that average, Americans in our case, don't want to take on so much. I wonder if that's the case in your country as well.

OP
OP
Alticus

Alticus

Mr. Excitement
Site Supporter ☠️

I'm asking questions that make us think about the possibilities rather than making assumptions. I think a lot of immigrants take jobs that average, Americans in our case, don't want to take on so much. I wonder if that's the case in your country as well.
Nah. I'm constipated. That might explain my mood. Sorry.

OP
OP
Alticus

Alticus

Mr. Excitement
Site Supporter ☠️
Thank you two for the sage advice but I have some steel turds to try and squeeze out.

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️

I agree. Plus, it’s dangerous.

On a loosely based side note, Uber will now allow drivers the ability to refuse rides to drunk passengers which is also creating a potentially dangerous situation.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I agree. Plus, it’s dangerous.

On a loosely based side note, Uber will now allow drivers the ability to refuse rides to drunk passengers which is also creating a potentially dangerous situation.

I agree a drunk passenger can be dangerous, but that policy has a downside. How are people, that aren't dangerous, unless they are behind a wheel, going to get home? They may go back to driving.

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
I agree a drunk passenger can be dangerous, but that policy has a downside. How are people, that aren't dangerous, unless they are behind a wheel, going to get home? They may go back to driving.

And what if the drunk person took several shots right before their driver showed up and can’t safely get home now. It’s pushing back in the direction of patron that created the entire need for the business to begin with.

The New Holliday

Now With 25% More Infinity
Site Supporter
It would be ideal. What is the remedy though? You tell me.
How about - You don't speak intelligible English, you don't work or receive benefits here.
.. Then it becomes the government's responsibility to ensure that.

Leave it up to Libertarian/anarchist types, and we continue circling the drain while a relative handful are enriched.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
How about - You don't speak intelligible English, you don't work or receive benefits here.
.. Then it becomes the government's responsibility to ensure that.

Leave it up to Libertarian/anarchist types, and we continue circling the drain while a relative handful are enriched.

Well, Alticus complained that the individual used GPS. He didn't complain that he didn't arrive at his destination. Why punish people that are probably learning English as they go?

The New Holliday

Site Supporter
Well, Alticus complained that the individual used GPS. He didn't complain that he didn't arrive at his destination. Why punish people that are probably learning English as they go?
No one would be punishing them. They would be enriched by learning English and not incurring the wrath of customers, and the customers would also receive a more acceptable service. Is that not readily ascertainable?

Further to that - it goes beyond the workplace to interactions in general day to day society.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
No one would be punishing them. They would be enriched by learning English and not incurring the wrath of customers, and the customers would also receive a more acceptable service. Is that not readily ascertainable?

Further to that - it goes beyond the workplace to interactions in general day to day society.

Well, how are immigrants supposed to support themselves while they learn English? I believe in immigrants learning the language of the country they move to, 100%.

That takes time and they have to support themselves in the meantime.

The New Holliday

Site Supporter
And what if the drunk person took several shots right before their driver showed up and can’t safely get home now. It’s pushing back in the direction of patron that created the entire need for the business to begin with.
Right - Like dopes who can't build a house so they have to hire some uneducated slob who pisses on their flowers to do that for them.
. WTF?

In a society like ours there is need for all forms of labor. Is it wrong to have an expectation that they do their tasks in a civilized manner, one in accordance with the societies standards?

Why the fuck do we bend over backwards to accommodate uncivilized people as though they matter more that their hosts? That's just stupid. Everyone agrees that our country is headed in the wrong direction but who points to a relaxing of standards and values?

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Right - Like dopes who can't build a house so they have to hire some uneducated slob who pisses on their flowers to do that for them.
. WTF?

In a society like ours there is need for all forms of labor. Is it wrong to have an expectation that they do their tasks in a civilized manner, one in accordance with the societies standards?

Why the fuck do we bend over backwards to accommodate uncivilized people as though they matter more that their hosts? That's just stupid. Everyone agrees that our country is headed in the wrong direction but who points to a relaxing of standards and values?

How are people that don't speak English, uncivilized?

Whoa...

@Alticus is constipated, for goodness sakes, where is your anger coming from?

The New Holliday

Site Supporter
Well, how are immigrants supposed to support themselves while they learn English? I believe in immigrants learning the language of the country they move to, 100%.

That takes time and they have to support themselves in the meantime.
Fucking what? If they want to move here they should learn English and understand the culture (be ready to live it) before they enter the work force or are supported by it. Is that unreasonable?

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Fucking what? If they want to move here they should learn English and understand the culture (be ready to live it) before they enter the work force or are supported by it. Is that unreasonable?

Yes, it is. Do you want taxpayers to support every immigrant until they can speak fluent English? If they were independently wealthy and able to support themselves, most wouldn't come. If I'm rich, I'm staying in my native country is my thought.

Immigrant labor is needed in this country. We are a country that has always welcomed immigrants. Most didn't speak fluent English when they got here. They learned. I don't see how this has harmed the country.