I literally just chased off a fox that was trying to kill my cat.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
It is late, I woke up because I have insomnia, I went outside to smoke, and no sooner had I sat at the patio chair then I heard a rustling one the other side of the brick wall near our property line. At its lowest point the brick wall is only three and a half feet in height, at its highest point it is six feet, Hedlund it is a strip of hedges designed to conceal our yard from people walking by on the sidewalk. Walls can only be six feet (which because of grading the sidewalk on the side is three feet higher) so the hedge grows a good eight feet above the wall.

So I saw our family cat running on the top of the brick wall as fast as it could with a grey fox chasing after it. I shouted and threw a beer can at the fox causing it to jump off the wall and run away. The cat was really excited and scared so it took a while to let me pick him up and carry him inside but I eventually did it. I know the cat should come inside at night though he really gets upset and doesn't want to do so but we live near an open space preserve so there are lots of coyotes and foxes about.

I always feared the coyotes but never thought the foxes would try to kill cats. Sadly, they absolutely will. I need to figure out how to get my free range cat indoors at night because he is clearly in danger.

OP
OP
Oerdin

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I am not sure if the fox was trying to kill him but I am 100% certain that he was chasing him. I also know my cat acted very scared of this large predator chasing him.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
I am not sure if the fox was trying to kill him but I am 100% certain that he was chasing him. I also know my cat acted very scared of this large predator chasing him.

Yeah the fox would have attacked him. Coyotes will as well.

This is why I wont let me cats out. Seriously....look into catios. They are very cool.

realgrimm

ፕልክፏቹክፕ ነየርጎልረጎነፕ
Global Moderator
Seriously....look into catios. They are very cool.

Catios are cool.. friend had one built off a cat door which he had installed, even made it so only his cat could go thru it .. Cat had the choice to come and go as it pleased, raccoons would try by sticking their hands threw the caging hoping to grab a paw full of cat skin but water is a great repellant

OP
OP
Oerdin

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
People on another forum are claiming foxes do not kill cats and they were just playing. It sure as hell looked like the Fox was hunting my cat though he ran away as soon as I started yelling and throwing things at him.

Last edited:

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
People on another forum are claiming foxes do not kill cats and they were just playing. It sure as hell looked like the Fox was hunting my cat though he ran away as soon as I started yelling and throwing things at him.

They are idiots. A fox is a wild animal. It absolutely will kill a cat.

A wild animal of any kind isnt gonna be like "oh look....another species in a territory by me. Let's play!" Lol

RANCIDMILKO ™ ®©

Ceedoobie's #1 Fan
Site Supporter ☠️

Yeah...

Playing...

Just like you play with your food, right?