Interesting Neil Degrasse Tyson

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
☠️Private Forum Access
comments.

Paraphrasing:

There are three kinds of truth: personal, political, and objective.

Search engines generate confirmation bias. There is no way to find objective truth with online searches.

Thoughts?

Admin.

When you're a Alpha, you're an Alpha all the way!
Site Supporter
☠️Private Forum Access
I think there is a grain of truth about the confirmation bias in search engines, that is how they are designed to work...If I am an avid cook and I do lots of searches on food related issues and recipes etc, Google will learn my interests and try to model my searches for what it perceives my interests to be. So if I look up "Marbled Rye" for instance I am not given links to marbled wall coverings etc

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
☠️Private Forum Access
I think there is a grain of truth about the confirmation bias in search engines, that is how they are designed to work...If I am an avid cook and I do lots of searches on food related issues and recipes etc, Google will learn my interests and try to model my searches for what it perceives my interests to be. So if I look up "Marbled Rye" for instance I am not given links to marbled wall coverings etc
Google keeps track of everything we do, everywhere it can track us, and it surely filters our search results. I like to use duck duck go. All this tracking shit just gives me the creeps.

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
comments.

Paraphrasing:

There are three kinds of truth: personal, political, and objective.

Search engines generate confirmation bias. There is no way to find objective truth with online searches.

Thoughts?

The problem with someone like you paraphrasing is that you will likely make mistakes because you do not fully understand what he said in the first place.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Google keeps track of everything we do, everywhere it can track us, and it surely filters our search results. I like to use duck duck go. All this tracking shit just gives me the creeps.

My conservative partner felt the same way, he recently discovered that they use google themselves and was a bit disillusioned.

I don't worry about these things because of the very existence of NSA.

Privacy is an illusion in modern times.

Admin.

When you're a Alpha, you're an Alpha all the way!
Site Supporter
☠️Private Forum Access
Just a thought, sometimes If I am looking for something and I am not finding in a search, sometimes rewording my search terms will produce a better result.

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
☠️Private Forum Access
Just a thought, sometimes If I am looking for something and I am not finding in a search, sometimes rewording my search terms will produce a better result.
Yes. True. They're still tracking you, though.