Look what i found in the road

OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Good damn it. The cat was in the living room and had a little tiny baby bunny which he was in the process of torturing to death. I rescued the baby bunny and put him in a box with some water but he is barely moving. I am not sure if he will make it or not.

It's probably in shock. That's sad. Do you know where the nest is?

OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Today I've been out trying to trap a rabbit.

Someone dumped a black domestic rabbit out here and the poor thing has been doing all it can to stay alive with all the feral cats and wild animals.

Its terrified so it's not letting us close to it. I got a trapping cage out there with a pile of Timothy hay and I hope it goes in before something gets him. I already called the closest Humane Society and theyll take him but they wont come help me catch him.

People really can be so cruel to animals.

OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
I caught an arsehole mouse that turned up a few days ago and was going ballistic between the fridge and the freezer.

So I finally told my girls, we can get a kitten.... (despite me not liking cats)...

Too bad you are so far. I'd just give you Tibs. She will destroy a mouse lol.

Mice dont last very long in my house lol. Tibs is one of my most enthusiastic mousers....but she loves to give them as gifts and that gets really gross really quick.

The last mouse she had she took into the kitchen where my 16 year old was baking banana bread and Tibs tried to push the mouse into her foot while she scream "No thank you! No thank you Tibs!" :LOL3:

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter
I caught an arsehole mouse that turned up a few days ago and was going ballistic between the fridge and the freezer.

So I finally told my girls, we can get a kitten.... (despite me not liking cats)...

Too bad you are so far. I'd just give you Tibs. She will destroy a mouse lol.

Mice dont last very long in my house lol. Tibs is one of my most enthusiastic mousers....but she loves to give them as gifts and that gets really gross really quick.

The last mouse she had she took into the kitchen where my 16 year old was baking banana bread and Tibs tried to push the mouse into her foot while she scream "No thank you! No thank you Tibs!" :LOL3:

Our last cat was 15 years old when she died... she killed mice, rats (outside), sparrows, magpies, small marsupials, and any bug that dared to move.

But she would eat it all herself... no sharing.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Good damn it. The cat was in the living room and had a little tiny baby bunny which he was in the process of torturing to death. I rescued the baby bunny and put him in a box with some water but he is barely moving. I am not sure if he will make it or not.

It's probably in shock. That's sad. Do you know where the nest is?

Nope, no idea where the cat got it and it was really small. Like not seemed yet small but it was clearly a rabbit.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Well, I just walked to the back patio so I could sit down and have my morning smoke only to find that cat had left another nearly headless baby bunny laying on the mat right next to the rear sliding glass door. Likesome of the other dead baby bunnies he has left laying around it looks really young, like to young to have even left its momma's nest. My only guess is he finds the holes the momma rabbit dug, goes down them, and drags out one of the babies whenever he is bored.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
God damn it. He killed another baby bunny. He carried it into my living room, dropped it at my feet, the mowed and acted proud.

I have lost track of how many rabbits he has killed recently but he has certainly moved up to bigger prey. When he was young first he would catch grasshoppers or other bugs, then lizards, then birds and mice, and now it seems nothing smaller than a baby bunny is worth his time.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I have seen a lot of young rabbits around this year, likely because we had a lot of rain this season, so it seems all the cats with hunting instincts are doing what they do best. I am just surprised he is able to catch so many. So far we've only been able to release one successfully alive. The rest he has either bit their necks and strangled them, died from, fright, or we find their partially eaten bodies.

OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
I have seen a lot of young rabbits around this year, likely because we had a lot of rain this season, so it seems all the cats with hunting instincts are doing what they do best. I am just surprised he is able to catch so many. So far we've only been able to release one successfully alive. The rest he has either bit their necks and strangled them, died from, fright, or we find their partially eaten bodies.

Cats are very good at finding rabbit nests. I wont let any of mine outside. We would have prey corpses all over the place.

Theyll kill baby birds too if they can get to the nest.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I have yo say kitty really loves the Cosyco brand adult dry cat food. So much so we had to buy a plastic container for it because he would bite, ripe, and claw the paper packaging to get at it. Even if he had a bowl of it already. He really does seem to like it more than Meow Mix or the Walmart house brand.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Cats are very good at finding rabbit nests. I wont let any of mine outside. We would have prey corpses all over the place.

He has done the grab baby birds out of the nest thing too. I am not proud of it but after catching him and stopping him from killing a baby bird he had climbed a tree and taken out of the nest, I tried for 45 minutes without success to find the nest, if the nest was there I could not find it and it was likely 20-30 feet up. For a day we kept the cat inside and saw the momma bird bring food to her baby but the truth is... Outside of the nest it was already dead.

The first raccoon, skunk, or rat which came buy would kill it and eat it. Not to mention a cat or dog. We couldn't get it back to its nest so it was a dead bird walking. Eventually, I just let the cat outside as he was crying so much and with in five minutes the cat had killed the baby bird and all we found were the torn off wings and a few feathers. He ate the rest.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
At my old house (the one I owned before this one) we were on the edge of a canyon and I had a fancy for a koi pond so I built one. I paid good money to stock koi in it. The problem I had is the local raccoon population treated it like an all you can eat sushi bar.

The fuckers didn't even eat all the koi's body and instead just ate the belly and tore up the area around their gills. That pissed me off and soured me on backyard koi ponds.

sweet tea

those who fear, are lost
Site Supporter
Cats are a very good home alert system, often times better than doggos, they don't miss much if anything. Simply pay attention to their ears. Even when they don't look like they're on it and sleeping, they're on it. They got the con.

sweet tea

those who fear, are lost
Site Supporter

He has done the grab baby birds out of the nest thing too. I am not proud of it but after catching him and stopping him from killing a baby bird he had climbed a tree and taken out of the nest, I tried for 45 minutes without success to find the nest, if the nest was there I could not find it and it was likely 20-30 feet up. For a day we kept the cat inside and saw the momma bird bring food to her baby but the truth is... Outside of the nest it was already dead.

The first raccoon, skunk, or rat which came buy would kill it and eat it. Not to mention a cat or dog. We couldn't get it back to its nest so it was a dead bird walking. Eventually, I just let the cat outside as he was crying so much and with in five minutes the cat had killed the baby bird and all we found were the torn off wings and a few feathers. He ate the rest.
At least he ate it, I reckon.
Poor birdie. :(

sweet tea

those who fear, are lost
Site Supporter
I woke one morning years ago to discover my momma cat had gone out during the night only to bring a couple baby bunny's for her kittens to learn how to dismantle while we slept, and boy did they... it was awful.
Feets and fur fluffs, blood and ears and general innards everywhere. Thank goodness I had tile floors.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Woke up to find yet another dead rabbit; this time on the front porch. The cat has certainly turned into a rabbit killing machine.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

You can't really have a house cat & a biRd feeder for hummingbirds at the same time, eh? It's either one or the other. Take your pick. If ya enjoy the sounds of songbirds singin ta ya in the morning, then don't get a cat.

But if ya wanna control the rat population then get a big tough alley cat

OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Woke up to find yet another dead rabbit; this time on the front porch. The cat has certainly turned into a rabbit killing machine.

Make sure you do heart worm prevention every year. Possibly every 6 months since its warm all year by you.

Not trying to nag......just being the crazy cat lady. Lol.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
That is a good idea. I will take him to the vet this weekend.

OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
That is a good idea. I will take him to the vet this weekend.

I worry about heart worm every spring when the stupid mosquitos come out.

None of mine go outside but they kill mice that come in and we get mosquitoes in here. AND flies. I HATE it.

I've tried everything, too. I spray citronella essential oil around doors and windows and that helps.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Dude, weird shit. For lunch today my wife made marinaded chicken, rice, and broccoli with hollandaise sauce and fried bacon bits. The cat was going crazy sticking his head onto plates in order to eat steamed broccoli covered in cheese and bacon bits. I get that the cheese is salty and creamy, I get that bacon probably tastes good, but why was the cat obsessively eating broccoli ?

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Yknow @Dove I had this peculiar experience with this cat yesterday. My nephew has this African breed of cat & whenever he brings it over to my mother's place she can't sit still. Actually I think generally it can't sit still. Anyways he brought it over & it was doing its usual thing hopping on everything. On the couch counter whatever. Then it jumped on the piano in the living room. It's a baby grand with one of those lids that pops up.

So the cat was walking inside the piano with the lid up. Walking on the strings of the piano. And she kept meowing whenever I approached her. I was afraid the lid would fall on her. So I gently nudged her off & closed the lid.

Next thing ya know she started walking on the lid of this piano. But then she finally found a comfortable spot, sat down & didn't move after that. She had gone from completely hyper to completely calm. It was almost as if she was begging for somebody ta close the lid so she could sit on it.

And after that, she was happy.

Funny thing who cats can't verbalize what they want, but they letcha know through body language & prancing around the place like that.

Interesting behavioural patterns & ways of communicating. And how it meant so much to her to be able to sit on the piano as if to make her feel like she was some royal queen.

Seems cats like to sit on somethin high up with a view so they can see everything or feel important. Ever seen this yourself?

RANCIDMILKO ™ ®©

Ceedoobie's #1 Fan
Site Supporter ☠️
these are the only blackies one will find on the streets here

zdXna6V.jpeg

sweet tea

those who fear, are lost
Site Supporter
I wanna look, but the thread title scares me a lil bit.
Is it something dead?