More terribe news about common chemicals that are killing us

DDT

Factory Bastard
Below is what I run under my kitchen sink. There's a variety of filter cartridges available you can use, depending on what you're trying to filter out.

IMG-3749.jpg

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
The ones I bought are the All Clad Copper Core. Heavy AF but the best pans I've ever owned.
Can't go wrong with All-Clad! One of the few things still made in the US. A little pricey, but you get what you pay for.

My mother still has a Revere ware stainless steel copper bottom pot my parents bought when I was a schoolgirl in the late 70's mid 80's...still going strong after thousands of uses.

DDT

Factory Bastard
My mother still has a Revere ware stainless steel copper bottom pot my parents bought when I was a schoolgirl in the late 70's mid 80's...still going strong after thousands of uses.
They must've bought it right before the company began outsourcing production overseas, which eventually failed and the brand is no more.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
They must've bought it right before the company began outsourcing production overseas, which eventually failed and the brand is no more.

I'm guessing you're right. All because American companies didn't want to pay fair wages. Now look where we are, American jobs waiting to be filled.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
I JUST ordered one of these because I'm sick of bottles of water

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

I was using a water delivery service where they bring 10 5 gallon jugs and we get it from a water fountain thing. Then they pick up the empty jugs when they deliver new ones.

But I'm sick of storing it and paying 2 water bills....so I just bought one of these and I'm excited about it :D I got the crown one.
Have you considered installing an inline filter? Since I'm on well water, I have to run one for sediment, but I also run an inline filter under my sink for drinking water too. My sink filter runs a one micron charcoal filter that is designed to filter out any bad things, and the cartridges are easily replaceable.

Well I'm renovating, so I'll be replacing all the piping in here....and getting an inline filter system then. I'm not even sure if I'm keeping the sinks in the same spots yet. Odds are good im completely changing that.

The pipes are garbage, I don't want to do anything with these until they are all replaced. So I have this until I do that lol

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
I bought the tefflon coated ones from Williams Sonoma.
Nice! My larger Teflon pan is a Tefal. Seems to be OK! Just be aware that there's French made Tefal's, and Chinese made Tefal's... I'd avoid the latter!
The ones I bought are the All Clad Copper Core. Heavy AF but the best pans I've ever owned.

I just use my cast iron. I've checked those out though and I do like them.

I really avoid teflon....the fumes are toxic! They break down after a while and you end up consuming it.

Admin.

The Flying Fickle Finger Of Fate.
Site Supporter ☠️
Can't go wrong with All-Clad! One of the few things still made in the US. A little pricey, but you get what you pay for.

I was raised on Revere ware, I thought it was unamerican to not be. "Do you even want to be here?"

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

I was raised on Revere ware, I thought it was unamerican to not be. "Do you even want to be here?"

Yep, and Chicago Cutlery, Buck knives, Curtis-Mathis tvs, and Browning shotguns...

Admin.

The Flying Fickle Finger Of Fate.
Site Supporter ☠️

Yep, and Chicago Cutlery..
yep, I had a Step Grand Daddy that was a butcher, we got a couple of his personal butcher knives when he went to the Butcher Shop in the sky.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter

All my pots and sauce pans are revere ware. And I have some revere ware canisters. And mixing bowls. They were my grandma's and I had them stored until I pulled them out last year. They do not age.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I was reclaiming an old rusty cast iron skillet just yesterday. I soaked it for several hours in a solution of half water and half vinegar which did remove much of the surface rust. I need to scrub it well today, dry it in the oven then start the seasoning process of applying thin layers of oil and then baking it at 500 degrees F in the oven. Do that 3-4 times and you have a rust proof no stick cast iron pan.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
I was reclaiming an old rusty cast iron skillet just yesterday. I soaked it for several hours in a solution of half water and half vinegar which did remove much of the surface rust. I need to scrub it well today, dry it in the oven then start the seasoning process of applying thin layers of oil and then baking it at 500 degrees F in the oven. Do that 3-4 times and you have a rust proof no stick cast iron pan.

Yep. I routinely season mine.

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I JUST ordered one of these because I'm sick of bottles of water

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

I was using a water delivery service where they bring 10 5 gallon jugs and we get it from a water fountain thing. Then they pick up the empty jugs when they deliver new ones.

But I'm sick of storing it and paying 2 water bills....so I just bought one of these and I'm excited about it :D I got the crown one.
Have you considered installing an inline filter? Since I'm on well water, I have to run one for sediment, but I also run an inline filter under my sink for drinking water too. My sink filter runs a one micron charcoal filter that is designed to filter out any bad things, and the cartridges are easily replaceable.

We need to get one of those for under the sink. Have to do some research to figure out what and where to buy here.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I got the giant cast iron skillet all scrubbed down so that only a faint amount of red dust remains then I dried it in the oven for 15 minutes. I just applied a thin layer of canola oil making sure to wipe it down well twice with fresh paper towels. It is now in the oven at 500 degrees F and in an hour I will turn off the over and let it cool down. The seasoning process will be repeated two more times.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I think the next two seasons will be done with grape seed oil. I don't have flax seed oil and don't want to drive to go buy some. I started with canola oil but will switch to grape seed.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I finished the one hour bake on the second coat and this time I used grape seed oil. It certainly got shinier though it is not even. Part of that is this might be a large cast iron pan but it was a cheap one which I bought from Walmart which means it is Chinese made. I had seen slightly more expensive cast iron skillets made in Colombia and even more expensive ones made in America where the cooking surface is less irregular. I suspect that has to do with the cheap casting methods, processes, and materials used by the communist Chinese manufacturer.

That said, grape seed oil worked far better than canola oil (rapeseed oil). I am truly seeing why flax seed oil is so highly prized for seasoning flax seed because it leaves more of that hardened wax like seal on the cast iron cookware. I think grape seed oil will work though I will just take more treatments to complete the finish compared to flax seed oil. When it is done it is like a complete glossy, hard, natural, enamel coating which has practically nonstick qualities and prevents the cast iron from rusting.

There are also excellent thermal properties to cast iron such as high energy efficiency, retention and even distribution of heat (not as good as copper but far more durable and about 1/10th to 1/20th the price), and durability (that is where copper becomes a pain in the ass). I am guessing I will need 2 or more additional coats of baked on grape seed oil together that perfect smooth glossy finish.

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
I finished the one hour bake on the second coat and this time I used grape seed oil. It certainly got shinier though it is not even. Part of that is this might be a large cast iron pan but it was a cheap one which I bought from Walmart which means it is Chinese made. I had seen slightly more expensive cast iron skillets made in Colombia and even more expensive ones made in America where the cooking surface is less irregular. I suspect that has to do with the cheap casting methods, processes, and materials used by the communist Chinese manufacturer.

That said, grape seed oil worked far better than canola oil (rapeseed oil). I am truly seeing why flax seed oil is so highly prized for seasoning flax seed because it leaves more of that hardened wax like seal on the cast iron cookware. I think grape seed oil will work though I will just take more treatments to complete the finish compared to flax seed oil. When it is done it is like a complete glossy, hard, natural, enamel coating which has practically nonstick qualities and prevents the cast iron from rusting.

There are also excellent thermal properties to cast iron such as high energy efficiency, retention and even distribution of heat (not as good as copper but far more durable and about 1/10th to 1/20th the price), and durability (that is where copper becomes a pain in the ass). I am guessing I will need 2 or more additional coats of baked on grape seed oil together that perfect smooth glossy finish.

All my cast iron is Lodge and I love them.

I do like using grapeseed oil to season. Or olive oil....both work well

DDT

Factory Bastard
We need to get one of those for under the sink. Have to do some research to figure out what and where to buy here.
Here, Rainfresh is the go to brand, since the filter and filter cartridges can be found easily at many stores. But Rainfresh is a Canadian company, and you probably wouldn't find it where you live.

What you need to do is go to a couple of local hardware stores and see what brand they carry. This will determine what brand you should by, since you'll want easy access to replacement filter cartridges.