More terribe news about common chemicals that are killing us

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Teflon, for fuck's sake. Killing everyone.

An internet search for "Teflon and cancer" opened a Pandora’s box of studies linking PFOA, a chemical in Teflon, to kidney cancer. He took samples of tap water from his home, his father’s home and a few local businesses, then shipped them to a Canadian laboratory for testing.

Each came back showing extremely high levels of PFOA. The discovery led to intervention by
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!
and a class action lawsuit by village residents against Saint-Gobain, prior owner Honeywell International, and 3M. The suit was settled this summer for $65 million, which will pay for loss in property values and medical monitoring for residents.

Now, scientists are warning that the dangers of PFOA and a sister chemical stretch far beyond contaminated communities like Hoosick Falls.

In fact, they threaten virtually every American.

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
released by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency draw the startling
that PFOA is a “likely carcinogen,” with essentially no safe level of exposure.

Startling because scientists have known for two decades that small amounts of PFOA and similar chemicals are in the blood of more than
. Startling because they affirm independent research that indicates the chemicals are measurably driving up rates of kidney cancer, weakening
and possibly even causing tens of thousands of low-birthweight babies each year.

And startling because scientists say it means the EPA’s 5-year-old advisory for safe levels of the chemical in drinking water no longer appears adequate.

SHAMPAIN

Vape Nation
Site Supporter ☠️
Everything causes cancer these days, Is there not non stick pans that don't have those chemicals anyway? I could a google expert but meh...

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
"Killing everyone"? I think that claim is a bit extreme. Teflon itself has been proven safe to use.

Can you read? Teflon is not safe, at all. It has been known for decades that it is not safe. I stopped buying anything with Teflon more than 20 years ago. Now studies show that it is not safe at any level and that 98% of people have some in their blood.

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
no-pfoa-pan.jpg

DDT

Factory Bastard
Can you read? Teflon is not safe, at all. It has been known for decades that it is not safe. I stopped buying anything with Teflon more than 20 years ago. Now studies show that it is not safe at any level and that 98% of people have some in their blood.
Teflon is perfectly safe. You're confusing the chemicals used to make Teflon, with Teflon itself. Obviously those chemicals should be handled in a safe manner.

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Teflon is perfectly safe. You're confusing the chemicals used to make Teflon, with Teflon itself. Obviously those chemicals should be handled in a safe manner.

Uh, the chemicals used to make teflon end up in your food. It is not in any way perfectly safe. I never allowed that shit to enter my kids' mouths.

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
Uh oh.

Our resident armchair engineer is about to create a new teapot thread.

OP
OP
LotusBud

LotusBud

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
The cookware industry has gone to great lengths to convince consumers that nonstick and Teflon pots and pans are safe to use. Chemours, the company that brought you the iconic nonstick surface, Teflon,
that it’s “committed to making chemistry as responsible as it is essential.” It touts GenX, its follow up to Teflon — after a chemical necessary to its production was banned in the US — as a nonstick coating that
. And all manner of supposedly “green” nonstick options now flood the market, replete with assurances that they are conscientious choices in the kitchen.

But with controversial PFAS chemicals in the news of late — as of February,
to ban them in food packaging and foam — home cooks might be wondering where the truth about nonstick surfaces lies. It’s complicated — and in some ways, as you’ll see, infinitely simple. But for starters, says Marty Mulvihill, a green chemist and co-founder of
, “It’s probably worthwhile for us to ask the question, are these products really necessary?”

SHAMPAIN

Vape Nation
Site Supporter ☠️
Everything causes cancer these days, Is there not non stick pans that don't have those chemicals anyway? I could a google expert but meh...

Don't use non-stick pans.
That's the only frying pans I've got...

Replace them. I always buy stainless steel. It's hard to find non-stick frying pans in Europe, but you can always find stainless steel.
Awww are you saying you care about my health? See I always knew you loved me Lotus... x

Biggie Smiles

I make libturds berry angry. I do!!!
Site Supporter
And to think, lotusbum is one of the first to point out spelling mistakes :LOL3:

DDT

Factory Bastard
Your own article you've posted states what I'm explaining to you: It's not the Teflon itself that's harmful, it's the chemicals u
The cookware industry has gone to great lengths to convince consumers that nonstick and Teflon pots and pans are safe to use. Chemours, the company that brought you the iconic nonstick surface, Teflon,
that it’s “committed to making chemistry as responsible as it is essential.” It touts GenX, its follow up to Teflon — after a chemical necessary to its production was banned in the US — as a nonstick coating that
. And all manner of supposedly “green” nonstick options now flood the market, replete with assurances that they are conscientious choices in the kitchen.

But with controversial PFAS chemicals in the news of late — as of February,
to ban them in food packaging and foam — home cooks might be wondering where the truth about nonstick surfaces lies. It’s complicated — and in some ways, as you’ll see, infinitely simple. But for starters, says Marty Mulvihill, a green chemist and co-founder of
, “It’s probably worthwhile for us to ask the question, are these products really necessary?”

Your own article you've posted states what I'm explaining to you: It's not the Teflon itself that's harmful, it's the chemicals used to produce it that could potentially be harmful if they're not handled correctly.

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
Stainless steel and cast iron are good options, though, Lotes.

Nothing like a thick steak fried in a cast iron pan.