Suggestions for a car for a teenage son.

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
My parents loaned me $500 for my first car. I guilt a 400hp engine for it and swapped the auto for a 4 speed. Now, I drive a 700hp car with an automatic. Sure, some of my street racing friends died back in the day, but I didnt.

Admin.

I aim to be smugly pedantic, or vice verse.
Site Supporter ☠️
Can we be honest here? Let's put our cards on the table...
Oerdin

Do you even want this kid to live? Wouldn't he rather have one of the "budget" superbikes?

11-Fastest-Motorcycles-in-the-World-You-Can-Actually-Buy-Kawasaki-Ninja-H2R.jpeg

0-60 in WTAF time? Don't cheap out now Daddy.

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
Just buy him a car and tell him he has to pay you back $500 for every DP he gets over the first three years of ownership.

Buy him a Manic GT.

Kids like it.

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter
So my 17 year old stepson is finally getting his driver's license. I confess my wife and I had to push him a bit because he didn't seem all that worried about getting a driver's license but I guess many of the young kids are like that these days. I know I was so excited I had my learners permit at 15.5 years old and had my driver's test scheduled for my 16th birthday which was the very first day I possibly could get my license. Anyway he has his learner's permit now and is taking behind the wheel training. We will practice more in my truck then either Jan or Feb he will take the DMV test.

This is kind of jumping the gun but has mom wants to get him a used car. I am hesitant as I don't think it is a good idea to just give him a car; my parents helped me buy a car at age 16 by matching whatever I could save but they did not just give me a car. That meant I had to have a job which was newspaper delivery for six months between 15-15.5 at 15.5 I got a work permit from my high school and got a minimum wage job washing dishes at a neighborhood restaurant.

How would each of you handle this situation? I am leaning towards saying he has to have a job so he can pay the payment, afford to put gas in it, plus pay his own car insurance. What say you?

I got a 800 dollar clunker that they had already but had to pay for fuel, insurance, rego, and repairs.....

....and the bungee straps for lashing beer cartons inside the motor bay.

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
I am leaning towards saying he has to have a job so he can pay the payment, afford to put gas in it, plus pay his own car insurance. What say you?

I say that is the way to go.

If he does not buy his own car, then lend him one every once in a while.

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter
So my 17 year old stepson is finally getting his driver's license. I confess my wife and I had to push him a bit because he didn't seem all that worried about getting a driver's license but I guess many of the young kids are like that these days. I know I was so excited I had my learners permit at 15.5 years old and had my driver's test scheduled for my 16th birthday which was the very first day I possibly could get my license. Anyway he has his learner's permit now and is taking behind the wheel training. We will practice more in my truck then either Jan or Feb he will take the DMV test.

This is kind of jumping the gun but has mom wants to get him a used car. I am hesitant as I don't think it is a good idea to just give him a car; my parents helped me buy a car at age 16 by matching whatever I could save but they did not just give me a car. That meant I had to have a job which was newspaper delivery for six months between 15-15.5 at 15.5 I got a work permit from my high school and got a minimum wage job washing dishes at a neighborhood restaurant.

How would each of you handle this situation? I am leaning towards saying he has to have a job so he can pay the payment, afford to put gas in it, plus pay his own car insurance. What say you?
Get him a two door utility vehicle. Versatile and functional.

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter

Less passengers too.

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter

Less passengers too.
That’s the idea. More friends means more mischief!

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Good luck with the insurance. LOL

Yeah it's insane.

I want her dad to help pay her car insurance. Like divide it up between us and have her pay a small amount.....because I want her to get used to budgeting and having expenses. He always says he will help with shit but he never does and me and my husband cover everything.

We do it and we keep the peace. We dont fight or argue or talk about it because we dont to make HER feel like shit. Her dad is a prick and she has mostly figured that out on her own. She knows he isnt reliable at all.

Last edited:

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
Every major car insurance company offers a good student discount… which is about 15% off your premium.

The silence is deafening.

my comment about the no texting contract even garnished a BIG laugh… which tells me a lot about the type of parents we are dealing with….

Personally, I preferred to pick my battles with my children…. but when I said “no” I meant it. “No” only goes so far and I view driving as a serious responsibility, but this is after dealing with catastrophic collisions resulting in traumatic brain injuries for 20+ years and the impact THAT has on the entire family. Some of these kids are lucky enough to survive… most of the passengers die on impact…. but they are never the same after a brain injury…. their personality is forever altered and the bouts of rage and anger will land the whole family in counseling indefinitely. Most of them will be lucky to graduate HS. Almost all are dependent on their parents indefinitely, which will put a strain on any marriage.

I think it’s important to have these talks with your kids before they get their permits… that way you can enjoy the milestone of them getting their license with peace of mind.

OP
OP
Oerdin

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Ended up buying him the 2009 Toyota Carolla 4 door base model. 1.8L motor with five speed manual, AC PS, PB, But damn little else. Even has manual crank windows. Only 55,000 miles on it verified by carfax, one owner, no accidents reported, bought for $8200. White exterior with Grey cloth interior. Mechanic gave it a clean bill of health.

He doesn't get to drive it until he gets a job and can start paying for the monthly payment, the gas, and the insurance. He promises he will and I am hoping seeing the car in the garage unused will motivate him. For the last year and a half he has had the excuse of covid but at 17 he needs to learn how to work and get that important early job experience and ethic instilled into him. Just like my parents did to me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oerdin

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I did show him the car and even took him out driving in an empty parking lot of the local trolley/transit center. He did well. He certainly seems fired up to get a job and start driving. I guess time will tell.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
My car insurance is 1400 a month.

two male drivers under 25 will kill you in terms of cost

I paid $700 a year where I live Bigly.

Florida insurance rates must be really expensive.

Did u guys have coupLe of accidents and d u is to push ur rates so high?

The Prowler

Factory Bastard
Ended up buying him the 2009 Toyota Carolla 4 door base model. 1.8L motor with five speed manual, AC PS, PB, But damn little else. Even has manual crank windows. Only 55,000 miles on it verified by carfax, one owner, no accidents reported, bought for $8200. White exterior with Grey cloth interior. Mechanic gave it a clean bill of health.

He doesn't get to drive it until he gets a job and can start paying for the monthly payment, the gas, and the insurance. He promises he will and I am hoping seeing the car in the garage unused will motivate him. For the last year and a half he has had the excuse of covid but at 17 he needs to learn how to work and get that important early job experience and ethic instilled into him. Just like my parents did to me.

Nice choice. It is great that he will learn how to drive manual. My Z28 has manual crank windows and no power door locks. Somehow, I have survived.

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter

Good job dude, all sounds great!

My son had a Toyota Corolla too before his latest truck, real good car.

Straight drive will keep him from texting and driving hahaha.