Suggestions for a car for a teenage son.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
So my 17 year old stepson is finally getting his driver's license. I confess my wife and I had to push him a bit because he didn't seem all that worried about getting a driver's license but I guess many of the young kids are like that these days. I know I was so excited I had my learners permit at 15.5 years old and had my driver's test scheduled for my 16th birthday which was the very first day I possibly could get my license. Anyway he has his learner's permit now and is taking behind the wheel training. We will practice more in my truck then either Jan or Feb he will take the DMV test.

This is kind of jumping the gun but has mom wants to get him a used car. I am hesitant as I don't think it is a good idea to just give him a car; my parents helped me buy a car at age 16 by matching whatever I could save but they did not just give me a car. That meant I had to have a job which was newspaper delivery for six months between 15-15.5 at 15.5 I got a work permit from my high school and got a minimum wage job washing dishes at a neighborhood restaurant.

How would each of you handle this situation? I am leaning towards saying he has to have a job so he can pay the payment, afford to put gas in it, plus pay his own car insurance. What say you?

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Well I happen to be going through the same thing.

My 18 year old is saving for a used car and we will match her. We will do the same thing with my 16 year old.

My girls couldnt wait to start driving.

Absolutely NOT just giving them cars. Have him work for it.

OP
OP
Oerdin

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
We were thinking about a used 2008-2011 Toyota Rav4 if we can find a reasonably priced low mileage example. An alternative might be a similar year Honda CRV with a manual transmission as the Honda automatics from those years have a reputation for failing. Hondas have great engines but struggled with their automatic transmission reliability in the 00's.

Last edited:

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
IMO, a Honda, Toyota, or Nissan would be a safe bet if you want a jap car. I'd stay away from a Kia or Hyundai.

Admin.

I aim to be smugly pedantic, or vice verse.
Site Supporter ☠️
Something large and metally, like a Ford Crown Vic, body on frame construction, might save his life when he gets in his first couple wrecks, and they're cheap.

TheHaze

If my dog doesn't like you, I probably won'teither
Site Supporter
Something large and metally, like a Ford Crown Vic, body on frame construction, might save his life when he gets in his first couple wrecks, and they're cheap.

Right on and as long as my kids were in school I paid the ins for them.
My son wrecked 3 cars and 1 truck before he turn 21- - - - - -

The Scoundrel

Total Twat
Depends if you're still supporting the kid like if they're at college or something. I bought a car for my son as I will do for his brother but once he went to work he took over all responsibility. Don't know what it's like in the States but here the price of a car pales in comparison to the yearly insurtance costs of a young driver.

The Countess

Hood with it
Site Supporter

Sounds like my son.

He actually got a letter from the DMV stating they were going to suspend his license if he didn’t start driving better.

Adam Hitler

110/14/88
Site Supporter
I was spoiled and bought a £5000 RS Turbo for my 18th and crashed it within a month.

I guess the moral of that story is don't buy your kids anything too powerful as a first car which they will struggle to handle.

iu

OP
OP
Oerdin

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
IMO, a Honda, Toyota, or Nissan would be a safe bet if you want a jap car. I'd stay away from a Kia or Hyundai.

I won't touch a Nissan post 2003 after they merged with Renault. The two started sharing parts and that means a whole lot of low quality Renault parts and designs are now in Nissans. Their Jacco automatic transmissions qhave also always been some of the worst out of Japan.

OP
OP
Oerdin

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

I have actually looked at that though my wife dislikes them. They have 2011 Crown Victoria police interceptor models with 120,000 miles on them for $5500. That engine and trans set up in the crown vic routinely goes to 500,000 if you do the regular maintenance. The downside is the 4.6l V-8 sucks gas like no tomorrow and then there is a question of do I want a teenage boy having a powerful V-8 powered car?

They are extremely reliable and built like tanks though.

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️
I suggest a 4 cylinder vechile with a good safety rating… a 6 cylinder and above is too much power for a new driver.

Also consider having them sign a contract about no texting and driving.

OP
OP
Oerdin

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Sounds like my son.

He actually got a letter from the DMV stating they were going to suspend his license if he didn’t start driving better.

Maybe that will be the wake up call he needs to slow down and think things through a bit more? Knowing teenage boys probably not but we can hope.

Murdy

Queenie Weenie
Site Supporter ☠️

I have actually looked at that though my wife dislikes them. They have 2011 Crown Victoria police interceptor models with 120,000 miles on them for $5500. That engine and trans set up in the crown vic routinely goes to 500,000 if you do the regular maintenance. The downside is the 4.6l V-8 sucks gas like no tomorrow and then there is a question of do I want a teenage boy having a powerful V-8 powered car?

that is too much car for a first time driver tbh

The Countess

Hood with it
Site Supporter

Sounds like my son.

Maybe that will be the wake up call he needs to slow down and think things through a bit more? Knowing teenage boys probably not but we can hope.

He’s much better now. Back then, I remember praying he’d fail the driving test.

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter
I was the same Oerdin, I worked the summers and saved when I was 14 and 15, and full time when I was 16. My first car was a 7 year old '86 Nissan Sentra hatchback (like the old Toyota Corolla, even had Corolla parts) for $2000. I paid the majority, and my great aunt, great grandmother, and uncle all went in for the difference, and said it was a Birthday/Christmas present that year.

Miss that lil car. Looked a lot like this, but silver/blue....

iu

I took care of my car, but I was a speedster lol. Got caught a couple times, and quit speeding.

I had to pay for everything, insurance and gas, while still in school. Luckily, gas was only .79 cents lol. $10 and I could cruise all week.

My son, I told him if he wanted to drive, he had to have a job. I planned to give him his mom's car (she died), but he had to have a job. He whined and bitched when he got his license, cause I stood my ground. He had to get off his lazy ass if he wanted to drive.

His mom's car was a 2002 Suzuki Aerio, the loaded one. Looked like this but different graphics on the side....

iu

Its a 4 banger, but it had SPEED.

I allowed him to be on my insurance, til he started getting speeding tickets. I warned him, one more... and you have to get your own insurance.... and he did get another one, and again I stood my ground, even though he begged cause of the price going up so much, to keep him on, NOPE!

He also dogged that car. He couldnt kill it. Dogged the fuck out that car. I hated how he treated it. Eventually he wrecked it on a winding gravel mountain road thinking he was in some kind of Outback racing event.

Makes me wish I made him pay for that car, cause he didnt take care of it.

He then started getting trucks. Cant really speed in a truck, depending lol. It slowed him down! Like an old S10 pick up truck. He then got a Ford Ranger, then finally a Chevy Colorado. Trucks tamed him down, and buying his own vehicles made him appreciate them more.

I have a Jeep, and its worth everything to me. SOOOOO much fun. Can go anywhere.

With all that said! Make him pay some at least, make him have a job, set up rules too. Make him realize what he is getting into. Its a big responsibility.

Kids will speed, and prolly fuck up their first ride.

I say if you can find an affordable older Toyota pick up truck, get that. It will make him want to go offroad, which in turn gets him out in nature lol. They are great on gas, and last forever. You can camp in the bed, or lay back there with a date if you go to the drive-in.

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter

With the police interceptor chip, them sum'bitches fly!! lol. I use to drive one when I drove a cab. Plus know what they are capable of when I was a junior police cadet. They are tanks.