Which grocery stores do you shop at?

OP
OP
Oerdin

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Whole Foods, Sobeys, Thrifty Foods, Loblaw's, Save-On-Foods, Red Barn Market, Market On Yates, and various local ethnic food markets--mostly Indian, Chinese, and Korean.

The only one there which we have here is Whole Paycheck and I actively avoid them as for organic we simply have better priced alternatives such as Sprouts and Windmill farms. Not that I place much value on organic really.

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Costco is a great place to shop. For Wines Safeway has a great selection and special pricing

OP
OP
Oerdin

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
We haven't had Safeway in Southern California since the 1980's though they do own Vons. That said, Vons is independently managed so it's stores are completely different. I honestly only go to the big three traditional American unionized grocery stores in SoCal (Von's, Albertsons, Ralphs) if they have a really good sale or if I only need one thing and am right there. There are big difference in prices.

On the run up to Saint Patrick's day Vons and Albertsons near my house we're selling corned beef for $6.99 per pound while the local food4less had a sale for $2.99.

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
The great thing about US Retailers is there is a wholesale system. Here nothing like that exists. A six pack of Corona is the same price at Pricesmart, Wallmart, or the little market down the street.

OP
OP
Oerdin

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I find lots of price variations though alcohol prices are less variable due to our retarded three tier system which essentially creates monopolies. If you are not wedded to a specific brand then there is a lot of price competition between brands though. That said, you will still find cheaper alcohol prices at big retailers simply because they will drop brands which refuse to give them discounts. Small shops can't do that and need larger markups because of their small size.

Alticus

Mr. Excitement
Site Supporter ☠️
Costco is great for a lot of stuff. I've kept my membership since around 1995.
Definitely. I get a 475g can of instant coffee for around $11.99. To buy that much in a regular grocery store would run me at least 20+ dollars. I recently bought a 1 year supply of multivitamins for around $20.00 as well. Sweet!

OP
OP
Oerdin

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
They do have low prices. Not the lowest (Aldi and WinCo at least have cheaper prices here) but they consistently are on the list of lowest cost grocery stores. Save-A-Lot used to be the cheapest though lowest quality (I wouldn't shop there despite the rock bottom prices because quality was that low) but Save-W-Lot closed all of it's stores in this state around a decade ago.

Weeg

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
They do have low prices. Not the lowest (Aldi and WinCo at least have cheaper prices here) but they consistently are on the list of lowest cost grocery stores. Save-A-Lot used to be the cheapest though lowest quality (I wouldn't shop there despite the rock bottom prices because quality was that low) but Save-W-Lot closed all of it's stores in this state around a decade ago.
We got save a lot too

Scooter

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
I shop at the store(s) where I work. It's pretty fucking convenient to buy whatever I want or need on an almost daily basis, especially since grocery shopping is a task that I would absolutely hate to have.

Also, I shop at a small independent grocery store and it's a 5 minute walk up the street. Prices are surprisingly comparable but that doesn't matter to me. I'll happily spend a little more to shop there. Their produce looks good, they have a fully functional meat department that cuts and grinds their own meat and the deli salads are made in-store. The bakery has some nice offerings. I don't eat sweets much but I find myself picking something up for dessert more often than not. OH, and their broasted chicken is really good and big and meaty.

* as a matter of fact, I'm gonna head up there right now for some chicken thighs and a deli salad