Which grocery stores do you shop at?

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Everyone likes a good deal, right? No one wants to pay more for the same item when shopping around can net them significant savings especially when no one will be able to tell the difference in the end. So with restaurants closed due to the covid lockdown many of us have been spending more in grocery stores and doing more cooking at how so... The question is which grocery stores do you go to get the best deals, which ones ha e those specialty items you can't live without, and which ones do you avoid unless there is a sale going on?

My list:

Aldi - Selection isn't great, there is usually only the store brand but they do have most of the basics for dirt cheap. So things like bread, salad in a bag, milk, eggs, some types of cheeses, butter, baking goods, and stuff like fruit juices are all great deals at Aldi. Their meat section sucks with little choice and prices which tend to be on the higher side (they have to make their mo ey some where) so I skip that section unless there is an awesome sale.

Winco - I love their rock bottom prices, again selection is limited and it is mostly store brands but what they do have is the cheapest price in town on things like frozen turkeys or hams, chicken, generic snack foods, canned drinks, and stuff like that. The only downside is the nearest one is 20 miles away so I only stop by if I am already up that way anyway but always do when I am close.

Food4less - The name says it all and they especially have good deals on produce, cereal, and frozen items. Always check the flier to see what is on sale because that is the time to stock up.

Trader Joe's - Wine and beer can be a great deal here plus check out some of their specialty sodas, pastas and sauces, chocolates and deserts, not to mention frozen foods. I avoid their meat and produce as their prices are high but once in a while they have some nice cheeses to try though you'll have to pay a premium. Oh, yeah, their store brand of olive oil has the best taste to price ratio I have found.

Those are the major ones I use regularly but once in a while I will check fliers which were mailed to me and see a good deal some where else. I actively avoid the big unionized American chains here in Southern California (Vons, Ralph's, Albertson's, etc...) because of high prices. I don't make extra trips but if I am close I also like to stop by some of the smaller ethnic grocery stores (Asian, Latin, Mideastern, etc...). Where do you shop and why?

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I actually shop at Schnucks because the higher prices keep the trash away to a degree. I pretty much never set foot in a Walmart because of the miserable human refuse and the lack of help on the registers that are slower than shit on their best day. I'll always pay more for less frustration.

RAVEN

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I shop at Meijer, which I believe is only in Michigan.
Kroger
Costco for bulk items/meat

realgrimm

ፕልክፏቹክፕ ነየርጎልረጎነፕ
Global Moderator
Tesco, Sainsbury's and Marks & Spencer
I doubt that'll mean anything to those outside the UK

We got some Marks and Spencers here like a one stop shop department store
Really? Yeah man the food's great, a little pricey but damn delicious for ready meal type stuff...
I don't mind paying a higher price for superior food...

Ive never gone personally and appears they are gone now.. I remember them from my youth though and have had the shortbread from them quite a bit

oops had
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

OP
OP
Oerdin

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I shop at Meijer, which I believe is only in Michigan.
Kroger
Costco for bulk items/meat

I forgot, I also go to Costco but have done so less and less recently as even though it is 1.5 miles away the 25% capacity limit has meant long lines just to get in with dumb asses not social distancing while in line. So since March I have mostly skipped it.

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter
I order online from Woolies and trawl the specials. Usually save 30-35% and get it delivered for free.

Once in awhile I'll hit the Costco for snacks and imported goods.

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter
Aldi~ I like that middle section where they have awesome surprise specials like vinyl, tools, retro bar fridge, Viet Nam grass ornamentals,
garden gear etc, etc. They also sell decent liquor for leg-opening later in the night. It’s like a one-stop supermarket bazaar!

Coles or Woolworths...whichever’s closest!

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter
Aldi~ I like that middle section where they have awesome surprise specials like vinyl, tools, retro bar fridge, Viet Nam grass ornamentals,
garden gear etc, etc. They also sell decent liquor for leg-opening later in the night. It’s like a one-stop supermarket bazaar!

Aldi is good for some special buys. I like their spools of parachord during camping specials.

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter

Aldi is good for some special buys. I like their spools of parachord during camping specials.
Yeah Aldi is in my neighbourhood. Sometimes I stop over just to look at specials or buy a bunch of long-lasting native flowers for the missus. Chicks love flowers, and then they don’t notice the other non-essentials that I stash in the garage aka Brainfart’s Man-Cave.
:LOL1:

Swamp-Duck

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Waitrose, marks, sometimes Tesco, never Lidl or Aldi cos there full of wogs kissing their teeth and starting shit ...

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
I love Aldi. Some Aldi stores are better than others as far as selection, but their prices are awesome and they take good care of their employees, you cant really beat that.

Sometimes I'll go to Cosco but I may just cancel my membership. I only go about once or twice a year. I dont really go or care enough to justify the membership.

Kroger is okay but I prefer Trader Joe's.

I'll make a trip to a Bent and Dent occasionally to stock up on dry bulk items. I love Farmers Markets. If I have the option of shopping directly from a farm I'll always take the farm.

Most of our meat comes from farmers and hunting. Buying half a cow may seem very pricey.....but if you do the math, you actually spend more (or about the same) buying grocery store meat in a year than if you just buy the cow and it's always better quality. And you know how the cow was treated and slaughtered....which I understand doesnt always matter to everyone. Happy and well treated cows are healthier and taste better. We have an excellent beef farm out here we have been using for years.

If I'm making anything like kibbeh I'll go to a butcher for freshly ground lamb.

Scrawny The Ghost

Interdimensional UltraMegaRich Luxury BLTQ+ Banker
I buy all my shit at the corner store because I can't be fucked to stand in a 200 person line with 50% elderly in electric scooters and 50% single moms with giant monster strollers that park them sideways in the aisle so you gotta play tetris/pacman/frogger just to get a bag of rice, also these fat fucks literally run their arms across the shelf and dump half the store in their carts and take 20 minutes just to get one person through the line because everyone is a fat fuck these days.

I haven't been inside a grocery store in over a year.

tbyxn7h.jpg
ulr5seys5ary.jpg

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Farmers markets. Saturday market. Thursday market. Fruit veggie trucks everywhere

OP
OP
Oerdin

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

I heard worthworths is surviving down in Australia where as in the US they went bust decades ago. They were big in the 1950's through 1970's though and as a kid I could remember going to eat at their old lunch counter with my grandfather while my grandmother shopped.

Breakfall

Such is life...
Site Supporter

I heard worthworths is surviving down in Australia where as in the US they went bust decades ago. They were big in the 1950's through 1970's though and as a kid I could remember going to eat at their old lunch counter with my grandfather while my grandmother shopped.
I think Woolworths is our biggest supermarket chain outside of Coles. Woolworths provides quality produce always.

OP
OP
Oerdin

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Grocery Outlet Bargain Market can also have some great deals but all of their stuff is close to the expiration date so it is only worth it for something you will use immediately.

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter

Different Chains I believe... ours was South African based once upon a time. Though the name is the same.

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
It’s Tuesday, the fresh fish vendor will be around at 11. Jumbos, Tuna, Dorado

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
Whole Foods, Sobeys, Thrifty Foods, Loblaw's, Save-On-Foods, Red Barn Market, Market On Yates, and various local ethnic food markets--mostly Indian, Chinese, and Korean.

Alticus

Mr. Excitement
Site Supporter ☠️
Whole Foods, Sobeys, Thrifty Foods, Loblaw's, Save-On-Foods, Red Barn Market, Market On Yates, and various local ethnic food markets--mostly Indian, Chinese, and Korean.
A fellow Canadian?