1Holliday1

Banned
Banned
I'm feeling that I haven't enough beans in my diet,
.not so much that I don't fart enough to keep the riff-raff away
but because I don't want to miss out on their health giving properties,
. and
by no means do I mean to call out any specific demographic groups
.which would be racist and, more importantly, in violation of the Gen Disc rules
so...at the risk of offending any Bostonians here
Please to post some the yummiest bean dished you know.

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
For a summertime cool bean salad:

canned kidney beans - well rinsed

dice about 1/3 sweet onion - Vidalia, or Walla Walla, or Maui (base it on the # of cans of beans)

cilantro to taste, chopped with chef's knife fairly small, depends on how many servings, but for 1 can beans about 1 tablespoon

fresh squeezed lemon juice

1 or 2 tablespoons of olive oil

salt

put into a bowl and mix together, fresh, cool, colorful salad

enjoy

Last edited:

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
What are you looking for? I got soups, salads, curries, all kinds of main dishes, how to make chips...snacks.

Just anything in general you can make or do with beans? I have things I make that are more seasonal. I do heavier soups and chili and stuff in the fall and winter and a lot of salads and snacks in the summer.

Beans are super healthy and they are very affordable. I like to stock up on dried beans....we use a lot of chick peas, black and kidney beans and lentils. But I have a bunch of different ones.

Anyway here is a more spring/summer bean recipe I just made yesterday. This is easy as fuck. Anyone can do it. Its black bean salad

You need:

Black beans, rinsed and drained if you use canned. If you use dried bulk beans, soak them over night. I'm not totally sure why, but my grandma did it. And if grandma soaked the beans.. the beans must be soaked. I've always done it and never questioned it. So....dont ask. Just do it.

Toss the beans in a large bowl

Cut a bunch of grape or cherry tomatos in half. Now toss those in the large bowl.

Chop up a red bell pepper or two. Toss that shit in there.

You CAN throw some corn in there. I dont. We dont do much corn here but a friend of mine likes to put corn in this.

Dice up a red onion, toss that bitch in the bowl too.

Chop up some cilantro. Figure out how much like a stink bug you want this to taste like. Resist the urge to touch yourself and instead....put it in the bowl.

Now juice a lime. I use a whole lime...but normal people use half. DONT put the lime juice in the bowl.

Mix that lime juice with olive oil. I'm sorry I NEVER measures anything. I eyeball it. Figure it out. You can do it.

Now in a separate dish mix up these dried seasoning(again....this is on you and your preferences because I just throw the shit together until it looks and tastes right)

Salt. I use pink sea salt because I'm convinced it tastes better....but any salt will do (not really....use sea salt like a civilized person who like flavor)

Chili powered. Maybe go easy on this one...its pungent.

Ground cumin. Mix these spices together.

Now chop up an avocado and chuck that in the bowl. I should NOT have to tell you to throw out the pit.

K now dump the juice/oil mix in and toss it with the salad. Now toss in all the spices.

You're welcome.

Last edited:

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
This is chick pea curry. I make this exactly this way and everyone here loves it. Just scroll past all her childhood memories and the recipe is at the bottom.

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

Bastard Factory

Chairman of the Bored
Administrator
tAwTWKm.jpg

Admin.

I aim to be smugly pedantic, or vice verse.
Site Supporter ☠️
I rarely make anything with beans, except Chili, I usually add at least a couple types of beans, Red Kidney's drained, Black Beans not drained, sometimes Garbanzos drained etc, and typically a sweet italian sausage, or if I run across a decent looking Chorizo I've used that too. Garlic, diced onion (preferably sweet) a diced bell pepper, yellow or red for excitement! Cumin, Chili Powder and a dash of Cayenne Pepper a small can of tomato paste, some olive oil, brown the meat, then toss into pot with the rest of the goods and let it simmer as long as possible. That's the basic model, it can vary on what's on hand, and that days horoscope.

Last edited:

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

One of my favorite bean recipes...serve with jalapeño cornbread for a delicious meal. Admittedly, this is probably better for fall or winter since it's so hearty, but it's not out of the question any other time of the year.

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter
Beans and rice is pretty damn good if you throw in some extras like chicken, spices, chorizo or things like diced spring onions.

Special fried Afro Rice basically....