1,000,000 Post Thread

Bitcoin mining is a network-wide competition to generate a cryptographic solution that matches specific criteria. When a correct solution is reached, a reward in the form of bitcoin and fees for the work done is given to the miner(s) who reached the solution first.
 
Yeah, I know about how currency is manipulated. There's a lot that's theoretical involved, and volatility. But bitcoin? No, thanks. It reminds me of when people were selling website names for big bucks.
 
but you can mine one if you have a good enough computer in anywhere from 10 minutes to 30 days.
 
well coinbase will take your bitcoin you've mined and let you sell it on the exchange for dollars
 
its all speculative. I sat on a bitcoin I had "purchased" for 18,000 and sold a year later for 40k.
 
I have a sep and a brokerage account and do very little gambling. It's mostly investing, and at 11% return so far just this year, considering the stock market volatility I figure I have a good advisor.
 
it cost me an extra 20 buck a month for the electricity. took two months to mine it. I would never do it again, especially now. but it was a speculative hobby that worked out well at the time