Anyone ever do a renovation

X

xXx
Site Supporter
Where you did most of the work yourself?

I'm SO overwhelmed I could cry. Sometimes I look around and I just want to burn this place. Like I have days where I hate it. Then I feel like a complete loser who is way over my head.

Today I feel like cutting my losses(the money I already put in)....taking what I have and just having a modular house built. I have browsed modular home floor plans....but then I feel like a weenis for wanting to give up on this. So I keep going. The whole point of doing this is to avoid debt/mortgage. I LOVE that. It just seems like this will NEVER be done. Like there is no way to even see the finish.

Normally I have a pretty positive attitude about everything and if others can do this so can I. However lately I'm just perpetually discouraged. And I cannot believe plywood for subflooring is 58 dollars a sheet. I really do not want to have to "cheap out" on anything but I'm probably gonna have to.

I have a really bad, ungrateful, woe is me attitude today where I just hate this fucking place.

My mother has been significantly challenging the past 4 days and I really just need a break but I cant get one. :(

That same plywood here is $80 a sheet

OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter

I'm SO overwhelmed I could cry. Sometimes I look around and I just want to burn this place. Like I have days where I hate it. Then I feel like a complete loser who is way over my head.

Today I feel like cutting my losses(the money I already put in)....taking what I have and just having a modular house built. I have browsed modular home floor plans....but then I feel like a weenis for wanting to give up on this. So I keep going. The whole point of doing this is to avoid debt/mortgage. I LOVE that. It just seems like this will NEVER be done. Like there is no way to even see the finish.

Normally I have a pretty positive attitude about everything and if others can do this so can I. However lately I'm just perpetually discouraged. And I cannot believe plywood for subflooring is 58 dollars a sheet. I really do not want to have to "cheap out" on anything but I'm probably gonna have to.

I have a really bad, ungrateful, woe is me attitude today where I just hate this fucking place.

My mother has been significantly challenging the past 4 days and I really just need a break but I cant get one. :(

What....the....fuck.

Its insanity. Smh.

X

xXx
Site Supporter

What....the....fuck.

Its insanity. Smh.

I used to pay $11.80 for that very same sheet

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter
Lol, I have a taped "do not step" area too lol.

Yeah, the wood is prolly laying on top of the old vinyl.

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter
Maybe I should start a thread, post pictures of this glorified, beat up can as it is today and then update it with progress.

That might also help the days where I feel like abandoning it lol.

You got a home, you have a roof, you have the basics... sorry, but buck the fuck up camper.

OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Maybe I should start a thread, post pictures of this glorified, beat up can as it is today and then update it with progress.

You got a home, you have a roof, you have the basics... sorry, but buck the fuck up camper.

I'm better today!

Where were you yesterday?! Lol.

Btw I'm going with reflectors.

Last edited:

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter

I'm better today!

I carry 4 tarps in 4 x 200 litre bins so I can collect water, grow food, and shelter in place..... in my vehicle. I also carry 4 X 3D camo nets to hide, and a couple of quick erect greenhouses.

None of it is as good as having a roofed home..

OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter

I'm better today!

I carry 4 tarps in 4 x 200 litre bins so I can collect water, grow food, and shelter in place..... in my vehicle. I also carry 4 X 3D camo nets to hide, and a couple of quick erect greenhouses.

I really want to build a rain water collection system for this.

I ultimately want the ability to go off grid for months at a time. It's a good option and I want to use less energy.

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter

I'm better today!

I ultimately want the ability to go off grid for months at a time.

It's easy unless you want to fancy Instagram it...

Rain water in, rain water out.

My inlaws are in their mid 80's and they've never had anything beside a rainwater tank.

OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter

I'm better today!

My inlaws are in their mid 80's and they've never had anything beside a rainwater tank.

I dont even have an insta.

FB is plenty and I'm almost always banned from it as it is lol.

I took an environmental science class a few years ago and the textbook teaches how to do it. It looks very easy and simple. So I'll probably fuck it up a few times before I get it lol.

Blurt

Bastard of the Century
Site Supporter ☠️
Dovey, doesn't Biggies have a couple dozen extra rooms in his luxury mansion he could rent out to you and your family?

You could go golfing together on Wednesday afternoons. :CooL:

Seriously, though, that's a hard row to hoe, the one you're on. I got nothing to add to the helpful hints, suggestions and comments already laid out in this thread except to say, just plug away at it, dearie. Parcel the tasks and put one foot in front of the other (avoid stepping on the vent in the kitchen floor, though). You'll git 'er done by retirement age, I'm sure.

Hugz!

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter

I'm better today!

I dont even have an insta.

FB is plenty and I'm almost always banned from it as it is lol.

I took an environmental science class a few years ago and the textbook teaches how to do it. It looks very easy and simple. So I'll probably fuck it up a few times before I get it lol.

Lay a few tarps in graduant heights and collect it in barrels or a big container. Tell your kids to wash with 1-3 litres. You'll always have extra...

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter
Dovey, doesn't Biggies have a couple dozen extra rooms in his luxury mansion he could rent out to you and your family?

Seriously, though, that's a hard row to hoe, the one you're on. I got nothing to add to the helpful hints, suggestions and comments already laid out in this thread except to say, just plug away at it, dearie. Parcel the tasks and put one foot in front of the other (avoid stepping on the vent in the kitchen floor, though). You'll git 'er done by retirement age, I'm sure.

Hugz!

How blessed are you...

OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter

Hugz!

Its gonna be done in a year regardless of my tantrums......and I will be free from debt slavery AND rent. By retirement I'll have all the money that would have gone towards rent/mortgage chilling in the bank. Thanks though... thats a cute take lol.

:D

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter

Hugz!

How blessed are you...

You know what's hilarious?

When well off left wing white people become "minimulists" and turn poverty into a trend....while driving up the costs of affordable housing for actual poor people.

Like in CA. Lol. Bastards. This is why I took to the boonies and spend too much money on ammo.

I'm that scary white trailor trash Trumpist that weilds guns and supports insurrection. Lol.

And I'm literally disturbing NOTHING. I do no harm.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
20210622-192412.jpg

I like that Calico Cat.

Is that a White Cat next to it?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
20210622-192412.jpg

I like that Calico Cat.

Is that a White Cat next to it?

The dilute calico is Salem....I've posted about her.

The "white" cat next to her is a black and white Turkish Van named Tom.

And this....is my Prudey ♡

20210623-030529.jpg

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter

Hugz!

How blessed are you...

When well off left wing white people become "minimulists" and turn poverty into a trend....while driving up the costs of affordable housing for actual poor people.

Like in CA. Lol. Bastards. This is why I took to the boonies and spend too much money on ammo.

I'm that scary white trailor trash Trumpist that weilds guns and supports insurrection. Lol.

If you want any advice, from a desert dweller... I'm here for you.

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter
This is why I took to the boonies and spend too much money on ammo.

Fuck yeah sista!!! Im right with ya lol.

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter

Hugz!

How blessed are you...

Im more of a dessert dweller. I'll bake for you lol.

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter

Hugz!

How blessed are you...

I've had to experience all the climates in my life..

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter

Hugz!

How blessed are you...

I havent experienced "desert" other than when I went to Texas. Here in Virginia where Im at, I experience most everything else.

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter

Hugz!

How blessed are you...

I havent experienced "desert" other than when I went to Texas. Here in Virginia where Im at, I experience most everything else.

I spent a couple of years in the Atacama... after growing up off and on in the UP of Michigan, Arizona, Colorado, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Foreign nations...

OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter

I believe in giving more than I take, leaving things in better condition than I got them and living below my means.

There are people on this campground I'm renting the lot on.... who dont even have running water. Everytime I go shopping I buy a few cases of water to take to the boat house. The mailboxes are there and there is also a large shelving unit where you can leave food/water/clothes. So leave it there for whoever and just hope the ones who need it are getting it.

There was actually an all out squatter in someone's trailor(there are people who are only here seasonally for hunting or whatever) and they turned on the water manually and ended up busting a pipe somehow, so all out water was shut off and now we have to boil it. No one drinks it anyway.

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter

I believe in giving more than I take, leaving things in better condition than I got them and living below my means.

There are people on this campground I'm renting the lot on.... who dont even have running water. Everytime I go shopping I buy a few cases of water to take to the boat house. The mailboxes are there and there is also a large shelving unit where you can leave food/water/clothes. So leave it there for whoever and just hope the ones who need it are getting it.

There was actually an all out squatter in someone's trailor(there are people who are only here seasonally for hunting or whatever) and they turned on the water manually and ended up busting a pipe somehow, so all out water was shut off and now we have to boil it. No one drinks it anyway.

Well, I wanted to like this post for the first bit, but the last bit is just sad.

I dont drink the water at my place either, too much chlorine in it. I buy Deer Park.

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter

Well, I wanted to like this post for the first bit, but the last bit is just sad.

I dont drink the water at my place either, too much chlorine in it. I buy Deer Park.

We filter ours..

OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter

I use a water delivery service. I have a water fountain thing that you put 5 gallon jugs in.

This thing

20210623-145914.jpg

The sun is kinda blaring in but that's it lol

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter

I use a water delivery service. I have a water fountain thing that you put 5 gallon jugs in.

This thing

20210623-145914.jpg

The sun is kinda blaring in but that's it lol

We keep a 40 litre Engel fridge on -18 Celsius stacked full of water/ice bottles for when the power goes out.

It connects to a 200 watt solar panel panel during the daylight, or a 2k watt generator at night if we need it. I run wireless temp gauges on alarms for refrigeration.

We're good for 4-5 days of no power...but after that, only good for keeping non perishables cold, so we have 4-5 days to use up our freezer goods.

This happened a couple weeks ago.

I want to to get 400 Ah of LIpo4 batteries next.... I'm done with AGM...

Lily

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

Hugz!

How blessed are you...

Why did you make this political?

Frood

Have kink will travel.
Site Supporter

Hugz!

How blessed are you...

Why did you make this political?

Why do you make a discussion more political, Oak?

Can you help yourself?