Anyone ever do a renovation

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Where you did most of the work yourself?

I'm SO overwhelmed I could cry. Sometimes I look around and I just want to burn this place. Like I have days where I hate it. Then I feel like a complete loser who is way over my head.

Today I feel like cutting my losses(the money I already put in)....taking what I have and just having a modular house built. I have browsed modular home floor plans....but then I feel like a weenis for wanting to give up on this. So I keep going. The whole point of doing this is to avoid debt/mortgage. I LOVE that. It just seems like this will NEVER be done. Like there is no way to even see the finish.

Normally I have a pretty positive attitude about everything and if others can do this so can I. However lately I'm just perpetually discouraged. And I cannot believe plywood for subflooring is 58 dollars a sheet. I really do not want to have to "cheap out" on anything but I'm probably gonna have to.

I have a really bad, ungrateful, woe is me attitude today where I just hate this fucking place.

My mother has been significantly challenging the past 4 days and I really just need a break but I cant get one. :(

• Interesting
Reactions: Joe

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I read somewhere that Detroit or Micigan offers these free Trades training programs.

And there may be a lot of low cost or possibly free items like doors, door handles, window panes availalbe from scrap/salvage.

and because Detroit was at one time an upscale major industrial centre there's heritage antique salvage available.

So if you can access these resources or free trades training programs, you could be eligible for training or salvaged building materials.

OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
I read somewhere that Detroit or Micigan offers these free Trades training programs.

And there may be a lot of low cost or possibly free items like doors, door handles, window panes availalbe from scrap/salvage.

and because Detroit was at one time an upscale major industrial centre there's heritage antique salvage available.

So if you can access these resources or free trades training programs, you could be eligible for training or salvaged building materials.

I was planning on checking the Habitat for Humanity stores. They use profits on helping homeless people ♡

I want to use as much reclaimed materials as possible.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
I just think home renovation is lot of hands on roll your selleves up labor, Dovey.

You just have to lift, nail, un-nail, put in the screws, tear out stuff.

But a lot of it is just knowing what to look for when building or tearing apart a structure.

There must be a lotta free resources availalbe on YouTube.

Why don't you ask Lokmar? He seems to be good with his hands and tools.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Here's some lo-cost Home repair courses from Udemy:

Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

They often have these 'course sales'.

so don't bother paying full price.

Just wait for a week or month when they slash the price.

I've purchased some from them for as low as $9.99 a course whch regularly go for $200.

OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
I just think home renovation is lot of hands on roll your selleves up labor, Dovey.

But a lot of it is just knowing what to look for when building or tearing apart a structure.

No no. Like you mentally KNOW its gonna be work. You know this.

But then you start doing it and you wanna kill yourself.

Believe me I know what I'm doing as I do it. I spend a gross amount of time learning. It's still overwhelming as fuck. Lol.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter

Believe me I know what I'm doing as I do it. I spend a gross amount of time learning. It's still overwhelming as fuck. Lol.

Not built for that kinda work, eh Dovey?

I actually don't mind it.

I guess there's stages to it, such as...

1) Looking for what needs to be done - creating aset of plans/blueprints
2) Tearing out the bad stuff/rot
3) Placing it in a pile for disposal later on
4) Cleaning up the insides of your renovation project
5) Find out what materials are needed to repair to replace what ya tore out
6) Making a list, Buying new materials or possible recycled stuff you can get for free from a salvage depot/yard
7) Getting a truck to haul the old stuff away and retrieve the replacement materials to bring to the building site
8) Having your blue prints in hand to gide you
9) Have the materials and tools organized and prepared to do the work
10) Start hammering/sawing away. Hopefully you bought or borrowed the right tools you will need for your project
11) Keep plugging away. Don't give up
12) Make sure you have plenty of water and a lotta carbs that'll give you energy for a good days work
13) do this non-stop for the next few months or however long it takes ta get the job done
14) Get an experienced hand/set of yes to guide you where you're not sure

....Yeah I been there.

It's shitty dirty work. Reminds me of this tune

But if yer gonna get it done, may as well be now while the weather is nice.

You'll thank yourself later when the fall comes and it gets cold again.

Lokmar

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Sorry, but I rehabbed a house that I lived in and when it was all over, I could have moved out 10 years earlier and had a much nicer home for what I had spent. I completely re drywalled it, installed new double pane, double hung windows, replaced the sewer line to the street, new furnace, A/C, and roof. To be fair though, it had cast iron drain pipes which tend to split length wise when they get old. Mine did and the HVAC registers were in the floor so the house became instantly unlivable. Moved into a house twice as big and sold the old house for a huge loss because the money to hammer the slab and replace the plumbing was 10K. By then I was all "fuk that!"

TheHaze

If my dog doesn't like you, I probably won'teither
Site Supporter
What part of the world are you located?Maybe someone from here can help and depends on what you have for trade - - - - - - -
Post some pictures -

Seamajor

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter ☠️

I'm SO overwhelmed I could cry. Sometimes I look around and I just want to burn this place. Like I have days where I hate it. Then I feel like a complete loser who is way over my head.

Today I feel like cutting my losses(the money I already put in)....taking what I have and just having a modular house built. I have browsed modular home floor plans....but then I feel like a weenis for wanting to give up on this. So I keep going. The whole point of doing this is to avoid debt/mortgage. I LOVE that. It just seems like this will NEVER be done. Like there is no way to even see the finish.

Normally I have a pretty positive attitude about everything and if others can do this so can I. However lately I'm just perpetually discouraged. And I cannot believe plywood for subflooring is 58 dollars a sheet. I really do not want to have to "cheap out" on anything but I'm probably gonna have to.

I have a really bad, ungrateful, woe is me attitude today where I just hate this fucking place.

My mother has been significantly challenging the past 4 days and I really just need a break but I cant get one. :(

Ive spent most of my adult life remodeling and renovating homes, commercial establishment, restaurants for others and for myself. Sad that building materials are through the roof. So has labor costs. Union Tradesmen 125.00 to 150.00 per hour, depending on the trade. There is a huge shortage of skilled workers. Say calm and scrutinize the material and labor costs. You’ll get through this.

OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
What part of the world are you located?Maybe someone from here can help and depends on what you have for trade - - - - - - -
Post some pictures -

Michigan. I'll take some pictures later when I get all this junk cleaned up. I ripped half the carpet up in the living room today and it's a freaking mess.

When I tore the carpet out of the hallway.....there are gaps between the wall and subfloor.

Some absolute retard "did work" on this place before my mother bought it. She bought it because it was dirt cheap and she was desperate(freshly divorced).

And the plumbing AND electric is in....backwards.

I'm just gonna pay people to handle the plumbing and electric, I've already gotten the estimates. I replaced the hot water heater and the furnace. Now I want a tankless water heater lol.

OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter

Ive spent most of my adult life remodeling and renovating homes, commercial establishment, restaurants for others and for myself. Sad that building materials are through the roof. So has labor costs. Union Tradesmen 125.00 to 150.00 per hour, depending on the trade. There is a huge shortage of skilled workers. Say calm and scrutinize the material and labor costs. You’ll get through this.

Its ridiculous! Like as soon as I decide I'm gonna do something like this.....everything gets way more expensive.

OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Sorry, but I rehabbed a house that I lived in and when it was all over, I could have moved out 10 years earlier and had a much nicer home for what I had spent. I completely re drywalled it, installed new double pane, double hung windows, replaced the sewer line to the street, new furnace, A/C, and roof. To be fair though, it had cast iron drain pipes which tend to split length wise when they get old. Mine did and the HVAC registers were in the floor so the house became instantly unlivable. Moved into a house twice as big and sold the old house for a huge loss because the money to hammer the slab and replace the plumbing was 10K. By then I was all "fuk that!"

My estimate for replacing all the plumbing is 4k ish.

I've already spent 800 bucks fixing the kitchen plumbing. It was all clogged with the nastiest most disgusting shit. Omg. Just chunks of foul smelling fat or oil or whatever it was.

TheHaze

If my dog doesn't like you, I probably won'teither
Site Supporter
Be sure to wear a mask and gloves,you never know what's in those walls - - - - - -

OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter

This is a 1985 manufactured house. (Trailor). Bought for pretty much nothing.....so there is really no loss here lol.

I'll get out of it what I put into it.

Even the houses already for sale out here that are already on land.....they just dont do it for us at all. We did see a really great deal and we went out to look but my daughter is convinced there was a demon in it.....so.. yeah. Plus they already had some offers so I doubt we could have got it anyway.

Then there is that whole mortgage thing and I just dont want to do that if I can help it. Buying land is enough and can be paid WAY before I'm fucking 70.

With all the shit we want to do this fucking thing. We want to do shit normal people just dont do to manufactured homes lol.

Sometimes this whole thing is pretty fun.....but lately I kinda wanna fire bomb it lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Look at this, you guys.

This is the hallway going into the bathroom. So where the subfloor in the hallway ends the bathroom floor begins... this is there.

I normally have a shower curtain liner taped here(so kittahs dont scratch through any regular plastic) but I moved it to take this picture

I know that ain't right! Aarrrggg! And I'm paranoid that some sort of critter is gonna come crawling up through that lol.

I have to get a new subfloor down here quick. I'm waiting for my father in law to come help with it(he has been super busy)

Levon

Philosopher King
Site Supporter

It sounds like maybe adding yer mom to the mix could be the straw that's breaking yer back. No, you didn't SAY that and maybe it's just me reading too much into yer post.

Also, keep in mind that if it's actually a trailer and not a factory built modular home, it will only depreciate. It'll never gain serious value from renovation work, except to you. No reward from the market though.

OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
This is part of the ceiling in the living room. I think this part was an addition....but I'm not sure. I havent been able to get any info on this place besides what professionals I've had come out told me.

I know the model and all that but I cannot find any blue prints. Nothing.

Anyway here is part of the living room ceiling....there is this beam thing there and the ceiling is kinda separated from it.

20210622-194620.jpg

Never mind the sheet. My gotdamn central air until busted so we set up a portable AC and the sheet is there to help keep it cool.

20210622-194641.jpg

So this part ^^^ caved in after my mother moved in, and some guy fixed it. He didnt do a great job. Which is fine because I'm going to redo the entire ceiling and put a metal roof on this place.

20210622-194559.jpg

See how its separated? And I'm sure that beam needs to be there so I need to work with it. I might put more beams on the ceiling.

There are built in dressers and some bookcase thing built in lol.

OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter

It sounds like maybe adding yer mom to the mix could be the straw that's breaking yer back. No, you didn't SAY that and maybe it's just me reading too much into yer post.

Also, keep in mind that if it's actually a trailer and not a factory built modular home, it will only depreciate. It'll never gain serious value from renovation work, except to you. No reward from the market though.

I know.

I'm doing this to make me happy. Even though it's making me very unhappy at the moment lol.

My mother is a handful. That's slightly an understatement.

This is killing me!

I think I just really need a break and it's very hard to get one. Its definately challenging trying to do this while living in it with my sick mother who cannot manage herself and then my 4 year old.

My teenagers are rocking this though. I hate to say this but they are really the tough ones here who keep MY chin up on rough stressful days. I never complain outloud. Ever.

I swallow it and focus on positives

We watch a lot of videos of people who have done exactly this.....and it helps us stay pumped.

But omg its SO much. On top of all my regular life responsibilities.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Maybe I should start a thread, post pictures of this glorified, beat up can as it is today and then update it with progress.

That might also help the days where I feel like abandoning it lol.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
Maybe I should start a thread, post pictures of this glorified, beat up can as it is today and then update it with progress.

Yeah this is interesting.

You oughta start a YouTube Channel showing the process & get paid for the views.

A lot of people would be interested in this sorta thing.

Gutting a trailer and fixing it.

As long as the structure isn't too large, it might be worth it or doable within a budget

I found some PDF books online about RV/Trailer renovation and repair.

I can send you the link if you want.

OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter

Yeah this is interesting.

You oughta start a YouTube Channel showing the process & get paid for the views.

A lot of people would be interested in this sorta thing.

Gutting a trailer and fixing it.

As long as the structure isn't too large, it might be worth it or doable within a budget

I found some PDF books online about RV/Trailer renovation and repair.

I can send you the link if you want.

I suppose I could make youtube videos and just drop them here.

I'm not really all about making youtube money. I wouldn't reject it.....but I wouldnt be trying to make it either. I'm not into all the editing and all that shizz.

And sure! Send them. I'm also reading stuff like this.

You guys can see how loony my mom is lol

Maybe tomorrow I'll post a video tour.

Last edited:

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
This YouTube Channel, the guy appears to have a complete series on Mobile Home Repair:

Yep! I've watched him lol

Altho others and yourself might have your own plans, I'd be inclined to get a PRIVATE (not affiliated with the governmet in any way), experienced and reputable home inspector with several years under his belt to inspect the unit and then provide a complete list of all the needed repairs.

Then he or she could advise how much it might oost, where the materials can be obtained & what the most economical and best course of action would be. Even tho it might cost $100-200 for his services (not sure about th going rate where you live), it might actually end up saving you a lot more in the long run.

Often those guys are retired contractors with many years of experience who've seen just about everything. And the know the building, electrical an plumbing codes. So they would understand what traps/situations to avoid & how to get around red tape if government inspections are required.

Also, what you could do yourself to save money and where perhaps a skilled tradesman might be needed such as electrical or plumbing.

OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
This YouTube Channel, the guy appears to have a complete series on Mobile Home Repair:

Yep! I've watched him lol

Altho others and yourself might have your own plans, I'd be inclined to get a PRIVATE (not affiliated with the governmet in any way), experienced and reputable home inspector with several years under his belt to inspect the unit and then provide a complete list of all the needed repairs.

Then he or she could advise how much it might oost, where the materials can be obtained & what the most economical and best course of action would be. Even tho it might cost $100-200 for his services (not sure about th going rate where you live), it might actually end up saving you a lot more in the long run.

Often those guys are retired contractors with many years of experience who've seen just about everything. And the know the building, electrical an plumbing codes. So they would understand what traps/situations to avoid & how to get around red tape if government inspections are required.

Also, what you could do yourself to save money and where perhaps a skilled tradesman might be needed such as electrical or plumbing.

Yeah I was thinking about getting an inspector. I just have a pretty good grasp on what needs to be done(literally everything).

I'm absolutely paying professionals for the plumbing and electrical lol.

Blazor

Put your glasses on!
Site Supporter
Dove, you have my sympathy.... and a BIG hug!

Im not gonna lie, I own a 1980 trailer. Lived in it for the past 22 years. Got it cheap, $1,100. Blue book value is $4500 lol. But "fair market value" is around 10k.

I've done a LOT to it. But I didnt do it all at once, couldnt afford to. When I moved in, there were parts of subfloor that were gone, and only the carpet or vinyl plus the support beams were there. Like in front of the kitchen sink, in front of the tub, and in the master bedroom. I had to patch it in the beginning. Like cutting out the bad area, and only fixing that. My son was born shortly after moving in, and first thing I replaced was the original carpet. Then replaced the vinyl in the kitchen with peel and stick tiles, which suck lol. As time went along, I've had to replace all the original appliances (stove, fridge, washer, dryer, and AC window units). Eventually, I replaced all the subfloor in my bedroom, my son's room, and the bathroom, plus the hallway. The majority of the living room floor been replaced but not all, and a good portion of the kitchen floor has been replaced but not all. That will be my next challenge, and its gonna be a bitch. Got weak spots in the kitchen, but the island in the center needs to come out. My furnace acted up once, and a repair guy came out, and charged me $100, it was just the fuses in it. So I learned from that, and repair it myself now. AC units, I get a big one for the front of the house, and a small one for the back that I only run if its super hot or at night when I sleep. I remodeled the bathroom. It had an awful rusty medicine cabinet thing, and some dated lighting. I removed those, and put in better lighting and a nice corner mirror cabinet. Replaced the toilet. Replaced the sink and faucet, replaced the tub faucet. Laid down new vinyl. In the kitchen I replaced the faucet, which I wish I done long ago, cause I got one of them high neck faucets and it makes dish washing much easier. I've done a lot lol. Thats the main stuff.

I hate it lumber is so high for you right now.

Where your floor is, whoever half assed that shit cut it all kinds of fucked up. The problem with trailers is they lay the walls down on top of the floors, making it hard to replace the cheap ass particle board. Ya gotta cut it as close as you can, and straight. Then but the new floor up against it best you can. For now, since you're worried about critters, maybe lay some thick duct tape over the gap you got.

Where you have that dry wall on the ceiling. Yeah, trailers dont normally have dry wall. They got that shit like on your ceiling in the other room, where there is row looking lines. The back half of my house has the same shit lol. Front half of mine has the wood paneling. I imagine there was a leak in the roof at one point, and thats how you ended up with dry wall.

Another thing to note, Im guessing you were wanting to move it to land? Does your state have laws that say "cant move a trailer after its so old"? I cant move mine. I wanted to do the same long ago.

I think you are paying way too much for services. I remember you paid a lot on the furnace thing. I tried helping you then, but you never replied back lol. Was prolly something simple if you had an electric furnace.

Same with my oven and dryer, they both pretty much a box. If the heating element goes out, replace the element for less than $20, dont replace the box lol.

Take it in steps Dove, dont let it overwhelm you. Do what you have to for now, and stop tossing thousands of dollars at it. I agree with another poster, to do what you can now while its warm out.

(HUGS!)

Joe

Factory Bastard
Site Supporter
This link outlines the process for remodelling an RV:

Not sure how much it dffers from a mobile home.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dove

Dove

Domestically feral
Site Supporter
Yep. But like I said......we are doing things to this trailor that normal people just dont do with trailors.

So the reasons why older trailors typically will get refused by movers is structure. Older ones are more likely to fall apart during a move. However.....I'm redoing the entire place. So it's not gonna be a 1985 really by the time we move it.

Joists will be reinforced and replaced if/where needed... et. Then getting a go ahead from an inspector, we will be able to move it.

So you are right about moving older trailors BUT its possible under certain circumstances....like you've rebuilt and replaced most of it.

I'm gonna be replacing everything with dry wall and I'm using real everything. So I'm going to have to make sure the weight can be supported. So I'm gonna have to get under the subfloor and double up the joists.

My kitchen floor is a hilarious hot mess lol. It's two different floors.

Here is where a big weak spot is....the vent is caving in. No one is allowed to step here lol

It's all nasty and stained under that busted old ass dishwasher. I've gone at that on my hands and knees and with a steam mop....everything. That gunk is like some alien life form. It will have to go when the floor goes, I guess. I hate fucking looking at it. It's like that all under the sink and cupboards there, but it's the worst right under that disgusting dishwasher.

20210622-192412.jpg

And here is where there is a different floor entirely. It's even raised a tad here.

Never mind the mess.....we had been moving stuff in and out and I didnt sweep before taking the pic. Not that THAT is the biggest problem here lol

20210622-192419.jpg

I really cannot WAIT to rip all this out. I want the same floor through the entire house....except the bathroom.

Once we start ripping the kitchen out and the bathroom, we are gonna be all smashed up in our camper.

Last edited: