Fry's Electronics goes out of business.

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

This is sad but not unexpected as their giant stores have been virtual ghost towns over the last year. I went there just three times and it was very clear they had fired everyone they possibly could yet most of the shelves appeared to be empty so they weren't even bring new merchandise in to the stores.

In the late 1980's to mid 1990's Fry's was the place to get anything electronics related. Not only did they have the widest selection but they also had the rock bottom lowest prices. You wanted to build your own PC? They had all the parts from all the brands, the people who worked there were also hobbyists so they knew what they were talking about. You wanted to bud your own RC car or plane? They had them plus all the parts. TV or stereo stuff? Every brand at the cheapest prices. Any sort of books or magazines on electronics or programing? Yep, all in stock.

In 1989 or 1990 my family went on a car camping vacation up to Oergon and down the coast highway to see the various national parks and national forests. I can remember my dad taking a detour to silicon Valley because he wanted to check out the Fry's location there. He ended up buying a new PC as well as a TV (which were big boxy things in those days) and we could barely fit it all into the car as it was already filled with camping stuff. Good times. Well, so long Fry's and thanks for the memories.

Joe

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

This is sad but not unexpected as their giant stores have been virtual ghost towns over the last year. I went there just three times and it was very clear they had fired everyone they possibly could yet most of the shelves appeared to be empty so they weren't even bring new merchandise in to the stores.

In the late 1980's to mid 1990's Fry's was the place to get anything electronics related. Not only did they have the widest selection but they also had the rock bottom lowest prices. You wanted to build your own PC? They had all the parts from all the brands, the people who worked there were also hobbyists so they knew what they were talking about. You wanted to bud your own RC car or plane? They had them plus all the parts. TV or stereo stuff? Every brand at the cheapest prices. Any sort of books or magazines on electronics or programing? Yep, all in stock.

In 1989 or 1990 my family went on a car camping vacation up to Oergon and down the coast highway to see the various national parks and national forests. I can remember my dad taking a detour to silicon Valley because he wanted to check out the Fry's location there. He ended up buying a new PC as well as a TV (which were big boxy things in those days) and we could barely fit it all into the car as it was already filled with camping stuff. Good times. Well, so long Fry's and thanks for the memories.

Yeah, I remember Fry's Eleectronics down in Silicon Valley back in the 1990s

They had a really good selection of software.

Matt Smith

Yes. It really is me. The original Matt Smith
Factory Bastard
Worst fucking job I ever had. They have been underpaying their vendors for years. I am surprised they lasted this long. They owe Samsung and LG a fuck ton of money.

OP
OP
Oerdin

Oerdin

Factory Bastard
Factory Bastard
You worked at the location off I15 just north of Mission Valley? I remember when that place opened in like 1991 or 1992. It had been an Incredible Universe store (Radio Shack's attempt at gain scale and become relevant) but Radio Shack decided to sell Incredible universe to Fry's thus we finally got two Fry's locations in the San Diego area.

Matt Smith

Yes. It really is me. The original Matt Smith
Factory Bastard
You worked at the location off I15 just north of Mission Valley? I remember when that place opened in like 1991 or 1992. It had been an Incredible Universe store (Radio Shack's attempt at gain scale and become relevant) but Radio Shack decided to sell Incredible universe to Fry's thus we finally got two Fry's locations in the San Diego area.

Yup.